Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hooray for Hazel

She's such a girl, well woman (old song phrase that came into my head). She was the wife of Australia's Prime Minister Bob Hawke who ruled Australia from 1983 to 1991.

In the early days of Hawke's Prime Ministership, we assumed Hazel was just a political stay at home wife, busy with family life. She turned out to be a significant contributor to the betterment of Australian society.  Once divorced from Hawke after he left office, she became even more of a contributor and to give to society became her life.

Even once slightly doolally (that will send a few to their Oxford online) from Alzheimer's, she agreed to be featured in her diminished state for a television programme to promote the org Alzeimer's Australia.

No Prime Ministers' spouses will be better remembered than Hazel, not Dame Patty, not Dame Zara, not Lady McMahon, Margaret is arguable, not Tamie, not Annita, not Jeanette, not Therese and not Tim (I'd reckon not the next one Margaret either).

Hazel died today. Bless.


I think Hazel would have approved of this and so as a tribute.... The Victorian branch of the Liberal Party discussed and perhaps approved a motion to privatise our ABC, our national government funded broadcaster. Hazel worked hard for better and more suitable children's tv programming. Believe me, you won't get that from anywhere else but a publicly funded broadcaster and it that kids get quality commercial free tv is so important.

14 comments:

  1. Hazel Hawke was an outstanding individual, deservedly well loved by the Australian community.

    It is sad that she has gone but her dignity lives on in the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor, I did not know she was a soloist in SSO, or I have forgotten. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Hazel would have like this tribute, Bob might have been more well known but we the people liked Hazel better.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I think it was very much a case of what you see is what you get. We saw Hawke raw, and we saw Hazel raw and we know which we liked.

      Delete
  4. I find it weird that despite her long separation from Bob, most TV coverage (that I saw) chose to define her as his ex-wife rather than as a person in her own right. She was no human handbag!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Red. I heard one tv channel call her a First Lady, for goodness sake, as if she became active because she was married to an important politician :(

      I miss Margaret Whitlam and I will miss Hazel Hawke!

      Delete
    2. Yeah. A damn sight classier than her ex-husband and her replacement.

      Delete
    3. Red, might first wife be preferable? It is relevant that she was the wife of our PM. We would not have heard of her before otherwise. Yes, ex is a negative term.

      Hels, First Lady is so American. I hope that does not become a standard reporting term here. Margaret too did great work.

      Fig, I think history will record Hawke well, never mind his classiness, but not Blanche.

      Delete
  5. I too was sad to hear of Hazel's demise. She will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye Wombat, she was a person for the history books.

      Delete
  6. I recommend you go to the SMH to read and great tribute from Damien Murphy. Very clever wording and no punches pulled.
    Hazel was worth two of Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I think I have read it. I will check tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. That was a lovely tribute Andrew, Haze would have been chuffed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I think what Hazel would have liked is that I brought up kids tv.

      Delete