Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Cloud Computing?

Subtitled, Why you need to be very careful about internet cloud storage.

On the left of my blog under My Street Photos, there are two links to St Kilda Road photos. The photo hosting site was called Web Shots. All the photos I had stored there have gone, as the site has changed. Fortunately I have them on disks, but if I hadn't??? Well, it would be a tragedy. As it is, it is a damn nuisance. I expect they did send me warning emails, which I promptly forgot about. Irrelevant anyway, as I would still have to what I have to do now to fix the links up.

The other photos at My Street Photos are stored at Photobucket, which seems ok for now. I suppose Flikr and Picassa are ok, but you never know. I just do not trust storing things online, especially if you only use the free facility.

There is another reason to not trust online storage. An IT person had one of his accounts hacked and the hacker obtained his password. He used the same password for a number of sites and the hacker did some really nasty things, which I can't remember the details of, but think deleting your blog, gone. Think locking you out of your cloud email, that is gmail or yahoo or hotmail, account by changing the password. Facebook, up in smoke, gone. You can think for yourselves of the damage someone could do to your internet sites, if they have your id and password.

I just don't trust cloud computing, that is online storage. Put what is important to you on disks or memory sticks, twice, as well as your hard drive.

8 comments:

  1. I have some photos in Picasa, but I didn't put them there, I'm guessing blogger did as they are all photos that have been on the blog. I still have the originals along with all my other photos on my hard drive and my external hard drive. Sad to think that anyone clever enough can hack into a storage facility like that and just wipe you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, your blog photos are stored at Picassa, and you had your own botheration with that. Of course you have the originals backed up. I would expect nothing less of you. Not a problem for you without a smart phone, but I changed my Gmail password and now my phone tells me it can't sync with Gmail. Good. I never wanted Gmail on my phone.

      Delete
  2. An important warning Andrew. Luckily, I don't think I have anything in the clouds except my head. Un-luckily, I manage to lose "stuff" the old fashioned way, including photos I thought were on disk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, photos are the most important thing. Back them up, copy them, and then back them up again. "This was Aunty FC when she turned 40".

      Delete
  3. I have all my stuff on external HDs as well as online. You can't be too careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. External HDs plural, Fen. You sound like you are well backed up.

      Delete
  4. My photos are in Picasa too Andrew and as big a technophobe as I am, I do 'back up' now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Grace, as the loss of your contemporary photos of Perth would be a tragedy.

      Delete