Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bloomin' Japan

We were privileged to visit the village of Hirosaki in the north of Japan a few years ago. The park surrounding Hirosaki Castle was quite spectacular with the castle built in 1611. In the past I often taken stills from the webcam set up in the park when the cherry trees are in blossom, but I have missed them in their prime by a few days, so this is a photo taken by Felicia who hails from the nearby large city of Aomori.


To get great spring blossoms on deciduous trees you need cold in the winter, and Hirosaki certainly gets cold in winter, as you can see by this photo by Glenn Waters.


Picture postcard, isn't it.

7 comments:

  1. My daughter has been to Japan a few times now, it's her favourite place but last time she was there when the cherry blossoms were blooming they don't last long but are very beautiful.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was fortunate to see the blooms Merle. I liked Japan a lot, but in summer, I did not like cooling thermostats set so high that the only really cool place was our accommodation where we had control.

      Delete
  2. aaah Japan, I so need to get there in this lifetime. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth the effort Fen.

      Delete
  3. Funny you should use one of Glen's photos - I know him!! I missed the blossoms in all their glory this year. Spring has been a bit of a non-event...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Wombat? Glenns are very particular about the correct spelling of their name. Bit of a non event where you are? I don't recall seeing trees.

      Delete
  4. And Wombat, do apologise to Glenn for me stealing his photo.

    ReplyDelete