Sunday, April 07, 2013

We have to share taps?

I have had this photo hanging around for a long time. I did not delete it or file it as it was for use in a blog post, but I couldn't work out how to use it. In fact I did not understand the photo. My initial reaction was the black person's drinking water was the waste water from the white person's drain, but it is not so. I don't have a great knowledge of plumbing, but to me it looks like the waste pipe from the black person's drinking fountain runs into the white person's drain. Quell horreur, white and black people waste water mixing together.



Of course basic hygiene was observed, with white and black drinking fountains kept apart.

In Australia we did not have any sort of discrimination like that. Our blacks did not have drinking fountains and they certainly did not use ours, so there was no issue. I'm sure there was a billabong nearby for them to have a drink from, possibly.

8 comments:

  1. Ha ha, love the punchline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, you would recall when there used to be pubs with a small window to serve beer to Aborigines.

      Delete
  2. I certainly hope the waste of one wasn't feeding the other! And how unfair for the whites to get cooled water while the blacks had to have whatever temperature came out of the tap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, stupid of me not to notice that.

      Delete
  3. We may not have had separate drinking fountains but the Aboriginals were allowed to vote until 1967 which is utterly disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, I think even back then people felt pretty uneasy about that, hence the overwhelming referendum vote.

      Delete
  4. In all the years I lived in Africa (Central) apartheid was the thing that stopped me going to South Africa, just couldn't understand the concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it not the same where you were, only without apartheid being in law and rules? But even if it was, it is a big difference if something is not legislated and theoretically everyone has the same rights.

      Delete