Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday Selections

I seem to have enough photos to do another Sunday Selections, just as River does each Sunday.

At easter R and Little Jo made these decorated eggs. You boil the eggs, put the shrink wrap around and boil them a bit more. Bought, Prahran Market.


I can't recall where this very old fashioned bin is, maybe Caulfield. It has no base, so what is thrown in comes straight out the bottom.


No, the new South Yarra building is not on fire, although by the smoke haze, something is.


The gecko on my wall has given birth. The baby will lose its bright colouring as he grows and end up with the same colouring as his mum. Bought, Melbourne Garden Show.


No, I haven't been tram spotting in Calcutta. This is an iconic Melbourne tram. We, or rather Yarra Trams, do look after our trams, not. Phone photo.


My late father built my late maternal grandmother's house in North Road, South Oakleigh. It was fully furnished by Mother with her father's open check book at Malcolm Reid. No expense was spared. The dressing table mirror is attached to the hall wall of the Highrise. Phone photo.


The authorities are 'burning off', or properly known as a 'controlled fire fuel reduction burn'. This one did stay in control but they don't always. With the wind in the right direction, Melbourne smells of smoke. I love the smell of burning eucalyptus leaves in the morning.


Goats  milk soap is supposed to have wondrous properties but it not powerful enough to rejuvenate my ageing skin. I'll go back to the Cussons Imperial Leather once it is finished. Bought, St Kilda Esplanade Sunday Market.


It is for you judge whether an effective photo can be taken by snapping in the direction of the sun.


An old building with a very old roof vent. Note the flood lamp, painted to not shout modernity at the building. Phone photo.


20 comments:

  1. I like that photo straight into the sun showing the silhouettes of the hot air balloons butI also loved the bottomless bin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, whether the bin has a bottom or not, if you put your rubbish into it, you are then resolved of any responsibility as to what happens to it, including falling out of the bottom of the bin.

      Delete
  2. Cussons Imperial Leather soap?
    Goodness. Haven't heard that mentioned in ages. Gel and liquid is all the rage in Asia. No one seems to use soap bars anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, R uses some liquid shower soap pump pack thing. I have tried it, but I prefer a bar of soap. Cussons used to be expensive. It is cheap now.

      Delete
  3. a very various sunday selection it was too, thanks. Your mum has been getting it all her own way for a long long time - Daddys princess.

    so nice of somebody to camouflage that security light on the old red building.
    The new SYarra monstrousity is a monstrousity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, she has and will readily admit she was a spoilt only child.

      Yes, this new monstrous SY building has blocked our our view of the Como building, another monstrous building. But wait, there are more to come.

      Delete
  4. I've noticed an increase in really filthy trams, or maybe I just see the same one all the time. It's like they've been sat in someone's back yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, generally they aren't bad. This one was an exception. I like having a go at the private operators of our tram system.

      Delete
  5. Excellent Sunday selection Andrew..loved the burning building, sunset reflections oui! Bottomless bin, that's priceless..and yet people still keep throwing things in, it must get cleared now and then, what's that about :) I love shooting into the sun images, but I just read the instructions for the lenses on my new camera (looooove it) that it's actually really bad for the lens to do this, I guess if you're not pointing directly at the sun, anyway there's no way I'll be doing anything to hurt this baby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, my camera is not an expensive one, so if the lens burns, no problem. The bottomless bin did amuse me.

      Delete
  6. I like the building not on fire.Be careful shooting into the sun lenses don't like it. You can do it through a tree or hide part of it behind a building. It is an effective shot though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Diane, you have seconded that about shooting into the sun. I am now starting to get worried.

      Delete
  7. I too like that skyline shot..lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Hope my lens is ok.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE that picture of the hot air balloons in front of the sunset...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, because our airport is not close to the city, we do have balloons in the city and inner areas.

      Delete
  9. Love the geckos and that into the sun shot with the balloons is quite good. I remember those old green bins, they used to have bags in them, paper I think, that were removed and replaced by council workers when necessary, but they always got too full too soon and rubbish was everywhere, so bigger bins were installed on the streets. I wonder why that one was not removed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. River, I don't recall ours having bags. The collectors used to just open the base and drop the rubbish into a larger bin. That was the problem, moving parts. I was surprised to see such an old bin, rather than the big ones we now have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All very interesting photos Andrew, and, I'll concur with everyone else and nominate the non-burning building and the balloons as my favourites. Oh and the geckos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath. I quite like the non burning building myself.

      Delete