Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Old body, healthy brain and a new toy

You know you are getting old when you ask each other each morning how the other slept. When you are young, it is assumed you sleep soundly and long. "Sleep well dear?" we now ask. That would be a tick for us.

You know you are getting old when you frequently comment on the weather. "Been a shower overnight, but not much in it". "When will this heat ever stop". "Bit chilly tonight". "Check the rain radar before we go out will ya ducks". "I am so over summer/winter." Another tick for us.

You know you are getting old when you both do the hands on hips and leaning backwards treatment for the health of your spine, as the disc cushions in your back decay.

Yes, we are getting old. But I am determined that I will exercise my brain at least. I do so in many ways, and writing here is just one of them.

Another way to keep the electrons firing in the head mush is to BUY A NEW MOBILE PHONE. So we did, one each, the same.

Samsung Galaxy 4 is about to be released, so I thought we should be able to get a Galaxy 3 at a reasonable price.

We visited the phone shop on a Sunday. The boss wasn't there and the lass who attended us was not 'dealing'. She said she would get the boss to have a look at it when he was in the next day and call us.

She called the next day and said she had spoken to the boss and she reduced the cost by $5.

We each have the same plans. $20 a month, which includes $15 free calls, texts and data, plus another $20 to pay the phone off over two years and I pay an extra $10 for a 1gb data allowance. So that is $40 for R, and $50 for me per month. Oh yes, we can call each other for free for 3 minutes. We are very happy with the plan and it suits us well, but it seemed if we wanted new phones, then we were going to have to pay more, $68 for me, $58 for R. The new plan did include $600 of free calls a month! We would be lucky if we racked up $6 of calls a month on our mobiles.

I thanked her for here trouble and said I would discuss it with R, which I did, and we agreed, well, if we are going to pay more, we will wait until the 4 comes out and see what is on offer then.

The next day the boss himself called. In fractured English, you are good customers of Telstra. I can give you Samsung Galaxy 3 on the same plan as you are on. One problem. Data allowance will now cost $15, not $10. I can wear that. Come the Thursday after the Sunday we were in the shop to do the paperwork and collect out phones.

As I never came close to using my 1gb data allowance, I reduced it to 250mb for $5. At home, I can wifi to the router for anything large.

We are ever so happy with our new phones, even though our brains are getting a serious workout as we learn how they operate. There are remaining problems though. R's won't connect to the home wifi and although I connected to the home wifi to download all my apps, it seems to have done it via phone network and I have used half my monthly allowance in two days.  Pffft. Who cares (I normally do, but I am saving $5 a month for data allowance, $60 a year, so if I go over my plan, no matter).

I did mention in a post a while ago about getting new phones and there was a comment along the lines of, yours are almost new. Why do you need new phones if the old ones still work?

It is a fair point and I really don't have a logical answer, only explanations. It is about pleasure (I don't really eat sweets or chocolate often). It is about keeping up with technology. I don't want to be an old man with a 'tradie' Nokia. It is about the stressful yet exciting challenge of learning about something new. I certainly don't want to be behind my grown up nieces and nephew in the tech department. Although they are well ahead of me in Face Book department. We got the latest phones at a bargain price, even though they will only be the latest for a month or so. To learn what these small things you hold in your hand can do is amazing. It is not all about me either. Our Samsung Galaxy 1 phones did not have a flash for photos. I hardly ever use my phone camera as I usually have my camera with me, but R does often and he is very impressed with the photos the new phone can take and that it has a flash light. I may be an ageing person of plain appearance, but hey, look at me. I have the latest phone.

The best thing is, the working system of our new phones is fast, and Telstra 4G is is many times faster than Telstra 3G. BBC World news photos that accompany each story used to load slowly, taking at least a few seconds. Now they load instantly. 

Very happy! Oops, nearly 11am and still in my dressing gown.

30 comments:

  1. I don't know why any of us would worry about how up to date our mobile phone is. Even if you buy the absolute, very latest model it is superseded within days by the next upgrade in technology. I just go with the flow now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very apt Victor, as the new model was released at the weekend, I think, brought forward by a week or so. I am already out of date.

      Delete
  2. I have a Nokia Lumia 800 (first generation) which I won and was strictly contract free. I use it like a PC (no SIM card to chalk up nasty charges) and tap on free WiFi as and when I need to use it to check Facebook, Twitter and emails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I think free WiFi is a bit more widespread there, but things are improving fast here.

      Delete
  3. "keeping up with technology"
    Fair point. I have to admit technology moves forward far to fast for me, there's no way I could keep up. I just don't assimilate new knowledge well when I don't see it making any difference to the way I do things. I'm happy enough knowing how to use the computer, even though I don't explore its full potential. I'm not a very socially interactive person so don't use the phone all that much, I do admire people who have phones with apps that can do all kinds of things. I know that I'll fall behind everyone else, but I don't mind that. And Victor has a good point too. The latest model of anything is superseded as soon as you've learned how to use it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there an awful lot of people out there who are your age who wouldn't have a clue about computers, so you aren't doing badly. You are quite socially active on the www, rather like me actually.

      Delete
  4. I was wearing a t-shirt this week and mum said "I wish I was as young and fit as you... then I wouldn't have to put a jacket on to go out. By young, she meant anyone under 85 *sigh*.

    There are all sorts of drawbacks about getting older. Being left behind by technological progress is only one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I suppose at some point we will all be left behind and just not care any more. Feeling the cold is one of those things that seem to happen as you age.

      Delete
  5. The best thing about a new phone is...
    old people have easy access to time tables so they don't have to run for trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you FC. You are too kind.

      Delete
  6. Have fun with your toys boys. I have just been given an iPhone 4 by my SIL as he upgraded to 5. It sure is good for your brain to work out all its functions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I expect you are already up to speed. It doesn't take long, even though it looks daunting initially.

      Delete
  7. went to Smelstra in The 'Rat to ask for a 4G and found I am denied "the stressful challenge of learning something new" because 4G is no good where I live 12 kms from the CBD.

    enjoy yourselves, you're younger than you think
    X X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, 4G seems to be for inner city latte sipping lefties. It works in Malvern but cuts back to 3G in East Malvern. In Pakenham, they ask, 'what is this 3G thing? I want that'.

      Delete
  8. I'm loudly and proudly WAAAAAY behind in the phone technology stakes ... but your brain is getting a better workout then mine. I'd say that's a fair trade!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red, wouldn't you have a satellite phone, to use when you are outback? I know nothing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently got a Nokia Lumia Windows phone, my first smart phone. It has its moments, but the camera is crappy - you can't even take selfies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lad, you are clearly too young to realise that selfies at certain age can be very scary.

      Delete
  11. Hey, welcome to the S3 club. If you need any help hit me up. Are yours 3G or 4G models? I won't bother upgrading to the S4, basically the only hugely improved thing is the camera, and I think the S3's is fine for me. Do make sure you get a good cover & a screen protector. That gorilla glass they go on about is certainly not unbreakable. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4G Fen. But I have it switched off for this month until I get a handle on what is downloading. The shop put screen protectors on, but they did not have suitable case for R's phone. He worries about dropping his. I never drop mine.

      Delete
    2. Get something for him off Ebay then, they're not expensive at all. I have a Spigen case, it's some sort of plasticy gel stuff, does the job well.

      Delete
    3. I am sure they are easy enough to get Fen. I will have a look. I don't like a case on mine.

      Delete
  12. "TELSTRA 4G: Typical download speeds of 2Mbps to 40Mbps are available in all capital CBDs,(meaning within 5km from GPO), associated airports and selected regional locations (3km from
    regional town centre). Outside these areas, speeds will be less. Actual speeds vary due to factors
    such as 1.location, 2.distance from the base station, 3.local terrain, 4.user numbers, 5.hardware & software
    configuration and 6.download source/upload destination"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, 4G certainly goes out further than 5km, about 10km I think. 4G is a quantum leap from 3G.

      Delete
    2. Here's the optus 4G map. Doesn't get me at my house, but at work I'm fine. Suits me coz I use wireless when I'm at home anyway.

      https://www.optus.com.au/network/mobile/4g/coverage

      Delete
    3. I think that is better than Telstra Fen. I think Vodafone is investing heavily in 4G.

      Delete
  13. Haha! I'm with Red..All, and I do mean ALL I want from my mobile is to be able to make and receive calls and texts..anything else I do on my computer or iPad.. but I do start off each morning with the cryptic crossword, that keeps my brain working just fine thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the maps are very handy when out, well other things too. I am impressed with anyone who can do cryptic crosswords. Their brain is wired differently to mine.

      Delete
  14. Yep, I have to admit that changing from LC's seven year old ancient thingo to the iPhone4 has been utterly good fun. Dunno what I'd do without it now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kath, the most critical of smart phones are those who don't have them.

    ReplyDelete