Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Just another Sunday

I can't say I swapped work shifts to be home when Sister asked us to look after Little Jo while she went to the football, but given I had worked three Sundays in a row, it seemed like a good idea to have a Sunday off. While we knew she would be quite content to stay at home here doing craft, making food and watching dvds, we all needed some outside stimulus. I saw some kiddies in the City Square watching something on a stage. Something to do with the Comedy Festival. Google was my friend. Family friendly performances at Fed Square. Family friendly yes, but a good does of double entendre involved for adults at the show.

Sister was meeting friends for a pre game drink at Rivergarden.We caught the tram in together. We were early and watched the excellent busker on a uni cycle at Fed Square. Sister went off to see her mates and we gathered at the Fed Square stage. We sat on our bums at the far left of the stage and saw some excellent performances. These were supposedly for kids and not something we would have gone to see on our own, but the performances were great. R and I enjoyed ourselves, as did Little Jo. Of course Sister had to reappear to check all was well. Yes Sister, your precious daughter is safe with us.

I could not sit on the ground any longer, so I adjourned to the background. One's back can only take so much. Not too much later R and Little Jo joined me. I thought one of the performances was based on an opera. The performer had used three audience members and it was very funny. How does a five year old know about mime? "Andrew and R, that mime performance was based on the story of Pocahontas". I hate kids being smarter than me but having just read an outline of the movie, she is correct.

We had kind of bribed Little Jo about coming into town to see the show with the promise of an ice cream. We went to the Scottish restaurant place in Swanston Street and bought ice cream and chips, and Little Jo showed us how chips can be dunked into ice cream. We sat in the gloomy and depressing upstairs area. I didn't go but Little Jo did, and judged the toilets as disgustingly filthy.

Little Jo was very talkative. 'Mummy's stomach is going to be cut open from here to here in August.' We knew nothing about it.

'Mummy won a ticket to Dream World and I am going there with my cousins in June.' Little Jo's cousins are the grown up Non Dreaded Nephew, Teacher Niece and Chain Saw Niece. Obviously not them. I pressed the point, who are these cousins? They are real cousins Andrew, and live in Geelong.

Little Jo does have a connection with her biological father. Is that what is about? When Sister returned from the football, she said they are just friends.

Sister is taking some posh school lads midyear to a camp to do good works in Alice Springs for some Aboriginal kids and then she will go to the Gold Coast to meet up with a friend who has kids and the friend will have flown up with Little Jo along and after that, once home, Sister will have her surgical procedure.

Sister: 'Did Mother tell you about my operation?'
Me: 'No, but Little Jo did today.'

It is awful. Sister has some huge fibroid growth and has to have a hysterectomy and the growth removed. The recovery period is very long. Trying to say something positive, I said, well at least you won't have to go through menopause. She said they are not taking her ovaries so I don't know if that means she will still have menopause or not. Later, I asked Mother and she said yes, she will still have menopause.

Once home with Little Jo, she got all crafty, read messy with paper, glitter glue and paints, and then she and R made pizzas while I walked our guest dog Jack. Later she was watching a dvd and blurted out, "That is the music 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy', and so it was. I can't bear the music. I think it is one of scariest pieces of music ever, and I have a feeling it was used in another movie when something bad happened. But honestly, how does the child know so much?

The busker performing at Fed Square. I dislike the way they plead for money at the end of their performances. It is a more recent thing, but it works. You should have seen the money he collected. I picked up the wrong camera when left home, so the photos aren't so great.


This performer was German and had been here for the Comedy Festival. He was excellent and very funny.


This was the mime performance, also excellent and very entertaining. As you can see, there was quite a crowd, but shortly after we left, a brief shower of rain cleared many away.

23 comments:

  1. These little snippets ofeveryday life always intrigue me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I enjoy reading snippets from other's lives.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like Little Jo is going to be a clever young lady. They're so smart, these days. I hope your sister will be all right after her op.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, at times I worry too smart.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to say, I always wanted to come down for the comedy festival. My daughter Sonya ran the Spiegeltent for a few years and met her husband there during the festival. They now live in Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite familiar with the Spiegeltent and it is up at the moment, although there are more than one. Ah, so that is how they met.

      Delete
  4. Street entertainments bring a lot of colour to the cities. The various buskers who entertain around Circular Quay in Sydney always attract huge crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I think I have seen the same didgeridoo players there every time I have visited. It is a good place to busk.

      Delete
  5. Fed Square is walking distance of my office so I enjoy seeing the galleries and performances (even though the design is horrible).

    But there are no grassy spaces to sit, no deckchairs and standing hurts the legs eventually. Even eating lunch outside is problematic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, grass might struggle there with such numbers at times. At the back of the square itself was a container with free deck chairs, but they soon run out. I really feel it needs more trees, deciduous trees that let through the winter sun.

      Delete
  6. My Aunt just had very similar surgery recently. It is better to leave the ovaries and go through a natural menopause rather than take them and have an abrupt/forced menopause.

    I wish I'd seen more of the comedy festival, I love the city when the festival is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the extra info Fen. As you can imagine, I am quite ignorant in that area.

      We should have seen more. We will try next year.

      Delete
  7. I had my ovaries left after my hysterectomy, recovery time was about six-eight weeks, not too long. I was up and about on day two because the nurses insisted, and boy did I grumble at them! I started a new job about two months after the operation, we were desperate for money back then.

    Little kids always know 200% more than we ever did. I never give money to buskers who take the hat around asking for it, but I will drop more in for buskers who are playing excellent music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the exception of the way Fed Square is designed, and the dirty dunnies, and the bad news about your Sis, it sounds like you had a good day :)

      On the other hand, your sister will feel much better for having a large fibroid removed.

      Delete
    2. Thanks River. I think it is going to be significantly worse than the a basic hysterectomy. Sister has been told she can't even drive for six weeks and will be off work for three months. Mother had a bad time when she had hers, and ended up back in hospital for three weeks.

      I agree with kids knowing much more now. I have only ever given one busker money, I think.

      FC, it was a good day. Nearly the size of a football, she said. I am sure once she recovers, she will be much better.



      Delete
  8. Little Jo gives as much fun as she gets from you and R, doesn't she?

    Fed Square needs tall, long-established trees. Hang the expense; they'd add shade, a tiny bit of protection from rain and soften the ugliness of the busted kerosene tins (Barry Humphries said that) called 'buildings'.

    Sorry to hear about your sister's upcoming operation, but she sounds like the very well organised type...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does Kath.

      Yes, it needs trees. While I know Humphries dislikes Fed Square, I had not heard that. He is a wit.

      Sister's house is not organised well, in fact mostly untidy. Bone Doctor doesn't cook and hates housework and Little Jo has never been taught to put things away. I think they will need a cleaner for a time.

      Delete
  9. Fed Square looks like it's rockin! I will have to add this to my places to see when I visit over there someday haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day Keith, one day.

      Delete
  10. Yikes about your sister : ( I'm sure it will be a pain to go through all that. I imagine it was stressful to hear, and awkward learning it from your niece first rather than your sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't really seen Sister, for her to tell me, and Mother wasn't sure if Sister wanted everyone to know, so she didn't tell me. A least Little Jo did not know the details to tell us.

      Delete
  11. Definitely better out than in Andrew..the fibroid I mean..your sister will feel like a new woman and provided there are no complications it should go really well. Little Jo sounds like a gem..and smart to boot, does she take that from her uncle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Grace, fingers are crossed that it goes well. As River said, kids now know so much more than we ever did at their age. Her mother is pretty smart.

      Delete