Thursday, April 11, 2013

Just another Saturday

We have taken to shopping at Aldi in the last couple of Saturdays, the first in South Melbourne because of tram works, it was too hard to get to and from South Yarra but South Yarra it was this Saturday past. I honestly can't believe how cheap it is and surprisingly, how many Australian made products are available.

If you haven't been before, stand outside the checkouts and watch how things work first. If you are hit the checkout with a lot of shopping and you don't know the system, you will be in for a shock and stress.

That was in the morning.

In the afternoon we took ourselves off to a recording of I Love Green Guide Letters in the supper room of  Melbourne Town Hall. The host Steele Saunders did well, with guest broadcasters Kate Langbroeke and Merrick Watts and an American comedian Pete Holmes. It was quite enjoyable, although unbidden R suggested to me that there was a bit too much of the f and c words. We are old!

We then had a drink outside at the Welcome Stranger Hotel and afterwards walked up Market Lane to Little Bourke Street and had a nice meal of Thai food with a bottle of wine. We caught the tram home, well two stops short because of tram works and walked the last bit, no mean feat with a stomach full of food and wine.


14 comments:

  1. What a busy social life you two have. I would truly love that. The highlight of spouse's and my social life this week was going to the pictures on Sunday night and taking in a cup of coffee with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really Hels. But things seem to happen in a short period and then nothing for ages. The pictures sounds like a fine thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aldi in Australia ?? You know that Aldi started in 1913 in Germany. I have always known Aldi ! Then when we moved to Belgium in 1959 Aldi started a little later with its first shop. And then it spread over to apparently the whole world ! I was shopping in Aldi in England, Italy, Holland, France, and their display is everywhere the same only the local products change. While here we have Gouda cheese for example in Italy you would find Gorgonzola, in England Chester cheese etc
    I always thought I was in the same shop only the language changed ! You can never get lost !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I knew it was a German company but I did not know how old it was. At a guess, I would say it has been here for five years, maybe more. I was always sceptical about it, but I was wrong. I was freaked out at the check out system, until R took control as he knew how it all worked. Do you have equivalants of our Coles and Woolworths supermarkets?

      Delete
  4. "stand outside the checkouts and watch how things work", that's an excellent tip, if Aldi ever comes to Adelaide I'll be sure to do that. It's rumored we are getting a Costco sometime in the next year or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah River, I can tell you are not going back to work. You have already lost your allegiance to Coles. Costco sounds awful to me.

      Delete
  5. Nathan recently 'discovered' the Aldi at South Melbourne and is currently obsessed with their products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, to have a partner who is enthusiastic about shopping is a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  6. Until a few weeks ago I was an Aldi virgin. Went in to the store at Mordialloc, waited ten minutes at a check-out and realised it might take me half an hour to get served, so I left. A parking fine would have cost more than I could save by shopping there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had that experience FC. Even if a few are waiting, things move very quickly.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a near-perfect Saturday to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice Kath, and nice to be home by 8pm. You know what we oldies are like about staying out late, hehe.

      Delete
  8. I wonder when Aldi is coming to Perth, sounds good and I'm totally getting ticked off with Woolworths, big bullies :) I know you didn't have a choice Andrew, but getting off the tram two stops earlier was a good thing, a walk to jiggle the food down before bed is un tres bon idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woollies big bullies indeed, after what I read today from one of my childhood heroes, Nancy Cato. I am surprised you don't have an Aldi yet. The food did not jiggle down, just expanded during the walk. I could do no more than pour myself a scotch and flop into a chair.

    ReplyDelete