With much confidence, I am sure I am able to link back to when bought our last hand held vacuum cleaner, which we use to pick up crumbs and dead insects, as opposed to the Big Kahuna, the Revolta, that expertly picks up sock fluff. Got it. Wow, I had forgotten about the even older model.
Vacuuming cleaning is my business, not R's, yet once he took it upon himself to empty the hand held cleaner and chucked out a vital part in the rubbish. I had not neglected my duties and there was no need for him to empty it, but there you go. He did, and a critical part went down the rubbish chute with the dust. I patched it up, but it was never quite the same, and then the batteries started to die. We knew we needed a new one and I had been looking for bargains, but on sheer impulse, we stepped into the vacuum cleaner shop in Chapel Street.
The old one.
The salesman tried to talk us into some small upright cleaner. Yes, ok, you have one and just in case we thought you were a sister, you are straight and need to pick up child food droppings around the dinner table. Aren't you a lovely straight married chap and gay friendly, no less. (fingers in throat. I get sick of these performances, just because we are an old gay couple.)
But R and I agreed, this other one is a good hand held model and I was already clued up about prices, so we bought it. I only look, behave and seem like I am stupid. I am actually, but don't spread that around.
The salesman assured us it could be wall mounted and sure enough, once home, it had the mounting points. The old one came down from the wall, painfully initially, until we recalled we had a once used cordless screwdriver. To our surprise it had enough charge and made the screw removal fast work.
How to put the new one up? Plaster screws are not adequate. We needed butterfly bolts. Surprise. I had two, different sizes, different lengths, but they will work. Oh, you need a half inch hole. We will drill to 3/8ths and enlarge the hole by running the drill bit around the holes in the plaster. Drill bit was not happy and kept loosening. Our five minute job had turned into a one and a half hour job, but we have done it. The old one is down and the new one is up. Except, when we sat the unit on the charging point, the base sagged and it lost contact and so could not charge.
I immediately went through the possibilities of not vertical walls, flat walls, bad alignment, poor installation and no, it was correctly installed, but did not work.
Old holes and new.
We moved the washing machine a bit and found a place for it to sit on the floor. The new hand held vac works well. It has a high voltage motor and you feel the thrust as you turn it on.
I sent an email to Hoover, hoping they would not ask what I wanted. I don't really want anything. I am happy with the machine, just disappointed we could not wall mount it. It is not the end of the world. Two days passed and there was no reply. I will have to write a letter. Then things moved quickly. Someone replied and forwarded my complaint to a development team who asked what the serial number was. Then I was asked my home address to send the new rib reinforced base to and a request that we return the old one in a pre addressed and paid package.
Firstly, the problem should not have happened. Secondly it did, and Hoover quickly stepped up to the crease. Well done them.
I shall say nowt about the pushy salesman and I hope this post is useful to someone in Malawi or Chad who is having a similar problem with their cordless vacuum cleaner.