Monday, April 01, 2013

Easter

Mother suggested she would like to spend time with Sister over Easter. The problem is that it is a two and a half hour trip and how would she get there and who would feed the stray cats their cat milk and Dine cat food? You would not believe the to-ing and fro-ing before hand, plans made and cancelled by all and sundry.

The short version is ABI Brother will feed the cats, and he delivered Mother to the Highrise. This was no easy task because of a massive tram reconstruction project and him not having a mobile phone. I gave him directions and I stood on the corner of the lane that accesses our carpark in a cold wind for fifteen minutes before he and Mother arrived. I had parked my car outside, no mean feat as I had to go out on foot to see what roads were closed and what was accessible. It is all very well for Yarra Trams to send us two notices to keep us informed, but YT did not tell us that in front of our place would be closed too.

Our original intention was a day visit to Sister's and be home by early evening.  'Son, I can't possibly be ready to leave home until 11. I have my jobs to do.' Well, she almost was ready by the time, in spite of her friend calling in and then a visit by Non Dreaded Nephew and Hippie Niece. Nevertheless, she did not arrive until 12.30 and then she had to have tea and something to eat.

We stopped at the usual M place in the outskirts of Geelong for a break and food for us, who had eaten nothing. We arrived at Sister's somewhat before 4pm. That is nearly a whole day out of my life!

Mother needed her nanny nap, so Sister, Bone Doctor, Little Jo, R and myself went for a beach walk. Sister remembered that R only eats fish on Good Friday, and so made a Thai fish curry. Lamb chops were cooked for Mother and Little Jo. We were back at the Highrise by 9.15, tired but relieved. We did more than our duty. You would not believe the luggage mother brought with her, that we had to transfer from ABI's car to ours. There was a suit case, two pillows, five tops loose, three carry bags and her handbag and the very conspicuous clear plastic bag with all her medications on display. 'Look how ill Mother is! Look at all her medicines'.

Bone Doctor: I am not getting the doctor on call for her tomorrow.
Me: You are the doctor on call tomorrow. Ok, you are not calling in a favour from a colleague to attend her.
Bone Doctor: Correct. She can fucking well go in an ambulance.
Me: You are expecting another stunt like last Easter?
Bone Doctor: Yes.

Referring back to the weekend before when it was Mother and R's birthday and R's sister and bro in law were here:

Mother: Bone Doctor gave my friends' Margaret and Nigel a kiss goodbye. She never gives me a kiss. Margaret delighted in pointing that out to me.
Me: Yes Mother.

Everyone in my extended family gets along well, except for Mother and Bone Doctor. I don't know why. Mother's children just ignore her nonsense. Perhaps she knows how to push R's and Bone Doctor's buttons.
R with sympathy, Bone Doctor with anger.

Sister was planning to go to the football by train on Monday. Instead she will drive and deliver Mother, and her luggage, to us, for us to take her home. If carefully planned, it could be just two hours out of our day.  But no, it will be a whole afternoon to get Mother home.

Who stole my public holiday?  Have you picked up that I moan and whinge?

On a nicer note, R's sister's daughter sent us a nice FB note thanking us for looking after her Mam while she was here. K has returned to England full of brim and enthusiasm.

19 comments:

  1. Oh Andrew I do sympathise. Bank holidays are supposed to be a time to relax with the family not stressed out of your head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, with some relief, we have no family matters or social engagements on the horizon and we are happy.

      Delete
  2. I don't know the locations involved but I imagine the ideal would be direct transfer of your mother rather than the double and triple 'handling' you describe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, from Mother's to Sister's is a two and a half hour trip. It is better to break the journey at the very convenient Highrise.

      Delete
  3. It is so difficult, isn't it? On one hand you don't know how much time you will have left with an elderly parent and you want to maximise the shared experiences in whatever time you do have. On the other hand, even simple endeavours can be exhausting.

    My mum unexpectedly spent Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning in hospital. So dad wanted to visit her each day, of course. Getting him into my car each time was time consuming, getting his wheelchair into my boot was worse and finding a hospital car park was downright impossible. So I drove into the front entrance, parked for 10 minutes while he got out, fought with the ambulance staff every day, left him waiting while I went looking for parking, then ran back to the hospital to take him upstairs to mum's room. Then the entire process in reverse!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, R was saying much the same. How much longer will she want or be able to go to Sister's.

      Sorry to hear about your mum. Hospitals make things very hard in such situations. I hope things are on the up.

      Delete
  4. I don't envy you one bit, but I do hope that you had some relaxing times over the break x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, Sunday was relaxing. I worked.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, I feel drained just reading about your weekend. At least now you can spend some time at work and recover.

    Hels, hope your Mum is doing fine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, I do remain centred by work. I like the discipline of having to be at work by certain time and organised.

      Delete
  6. Sounds just about right for Easter. I have been camping out in my room avoiding the crying/caterwauling (not a typo)machine that is my nephew. You can't shout at him cos he's only 2. Drives me round the bend. And he's still here for another week. Puts in ear plugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I understand where you are coming from but what about you having a go at amusing him?

      Delete
  7. Lol ! that really was a family Easter ! I have to feed my neighbor's cat, they are in France and have the other neighbor's birdie in the guest room access not allowed to our 4 cats !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I hope the bird is not too lonely in the guest room. You are a good neighbour.

      Delete
  8. Fuck a duck fart a pedal Easter is over Andrew gets the medal!
    I have so many images of your funny family gatherings - you may not realise it but you are living in the best of times....still I have to snicker at your family's activities

    ReplyDelete
  9. T., mother is a kind of glue that holds us all together, but I'd like to think that our family will stay glued, even if she does so from the grave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea there were such distances involved. Now I better understand these arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder how many people have an actual break on a day of public holiday?! Sounds like you need a sickie to recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Red. I tell my boss Red said so.

      Delete