Saturday, April 06, 2013

Don't lose it

I am astonished to learn that Transport for London and the private train companies have outsourced lost property found on their vehicles and at stations to private companies.

This will cost you £1 to retrieve from the lost property office. I suppose it would be worth retrieving if it was a decent umbrella. I doubt I would have paid more than that for any of mine.



This will cost you £5

 

and this a whopping £20, the laptop that is. I believe children are returned for free, at the moment.


I can see it happening here soon. It will begin as a token administration fee. I learnt about the fee from the latest series about England's public transport system. There have been a few. I still have a couple of episodes of the latest to watch. I am up to the part where the staff of Virgin are nervously awaiting the news whether Virgin's contract to run West Coast Rail will be renewed. I recall Pants having some very spiteful words about Richard Branson and his train operations.

Links to the first of each series, uploaded to You Tube. They are handy to watch when you have to do the ironing, cooking or CLEANING THE BLOODY OVEN.

The Tube (ITV/Sky 2003)

The Tube (BBC 2012)

The Railway - Keeping Britain on Track (BBC 2013)

16 comments:

  1. Ah yes, cleaning the oven. Desperately needed here, but Love Chunks and I daren't mention it to each other for fear of being seen to care deeply enough to a) notice its disgusting state; and b) therefore be assumed to be the one offering to clean it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, don't mention the o word it is then. Kitchens would stay much cleaner if we did not cook in them.

      Delete
  2. OK, I watch television and the like in all manner of situations but whilst cleaning the oven? That sounds pretty tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on the computer screen which is about three metres away from the oven. Most of the work was scrubbing the racks, done at the sink, so it was easy to watch and you don't actually have to see everything, the sound being the important part.

      Delete
  3. I agree how do you watch TV and clean the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easily Diane, see above.

      Delete
  4. I don't care if a country's economy is in the poo. No public service should ever be handed over to greedy profiteers. Too late for the good burghers of Britain, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, one of the worst things is trying to travel to the countryside with short notice at a busy time. I can't recall where she was going, but the fare was £350 or something like that. The fares are not flat rate, but vary for when you want to travel and how far ahead you book.

      Delete
  5. I doubt very much that it will stop people leaving umbrellas behind. It seems to be the most commonly left item worldwide. You should see how many there are in supermarkets, we hold them for a long while, but no one ever comes back for them. Walking sticks too.
    I'll clean Kath's oven for the price of the air fare....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the price of them now, very cheap, means people can't be bothered. I am a bit surprised about walking sticks though. I hope Kath takes up your kind offer.

      Delete
  6. I was gobsmacked at all the stuff in their lost and found office on the Tube doco. Loved those episodes, I have watched them a few times now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I think you will enjoy the latest series then, which is more about country trains.

      Delete
  7. I had great fun watching those Tube videos. Just love the accents, it's like something out of 'On The Buses,' know wha' I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Know what you mean guv'. 'Now Butler, get that bus out on time'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If they can charge a toll for using the freeway (I still can't get my head around that) I'm surprised they're not already charging for lost property! Blimey it's all a bit much innit! I have a pommy friend who cracks me up with her dropping the h's and her innit's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See them all in Soho Square, dropping aitches everywhere.

      Delete