Friday, April 05, 2013

Bloody Asian Drivers

Visit other countries, we are told, and your eyes will be opened to other cultures. We visited Malaysia last year and I keenly observed their driving habits. I assume the same driving habits are in Singapore, although I did not take much notice when we were there a few years ago.

Each country has its own driving style.

Much to the frustration of old time Aussie drivers, like me, Asian people used to driving in their own country drive the same way in Australia. It is a less hurried and more tolerant manner of driving and if there is the slightest chance of something going wrong, brake and brake early.

Maybe it would better and quicker if we had more Vietnamese drivers in Australia. They seem to have picked up their old colonial masters' manner of driving and road construction. No, it is not the Arc de Triomphe roundabout featured in the clip, but one in Ho Chi Min City, better known as Saigon.

When we were in Hanoi, we were overwhelmed by bicycles. When were in Saigon, we were overwhelmed by motor bikes. Now it seems to be very much about cars in Saigon.

PS We stayed opposite the building (High Court?) at about 4 seconds.

(Now with the correct video)


6 comments:

  1. Appears very skilful when speeded up like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it is skilful driving. They are constantly reading what everyone else is doing and fit in. But I am not Vietnamese, or Malaysian, and so I will drive like I brought up to drive.

      Delete
  2. I don't care much about how people drive as long as I don't have to join them. I used to wish I'd learned to drive but seeing the speeds the traffic now goes at, I'm better off taking public transport. I till miss my little motor bike, but I think even using that in today's traffic would be too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, from Colonel Shultz to now Suzie Quatro on a motorbike, you are no end of surprises. My Tradie Brother had a bad accident on a motor bike when he was young and nearly lost his leg. They are just too dangerous.

      Delete
  3. It's City Hall at the 4s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I thought it was the High Court building but when I freeze the video, it is clearly not.

      Delete