Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Bad Drivers

I spent two lots of five minutes out on the balcony with my camera in hand on a Friday evening.

"There is a queue, so I will just make another left turn lane."


"Why should I go to the end of the queue? I'll just duck around here."


"It is really no big deal making a second left turn lane surely?"


"Damn, I have blocked the pedestrian walk. Doesn't really matter. They can get around."


 "So what is wrong with a second left turning lane, even if it is not marked as such?"


"These damned pedestrians expect to walk across the road when the green person is showing and not have an obstruction. I've left them a small gap."


"What do you mean I should leave them a clear path to walk?"


"Go around you jerks."


 "There is a law about blocking intersections? First I've heard of it."


"Don't glare at me. I've left you a decent gap."


Oh dear. This one also made his turn from the straight ahead lane, but although the green arrow was showing to turn left, the lights for straight ahead were red. Smile and wave to the camera. Did you see the flash?

This is not just motorists behaving badly. It is serious dereliction of  duty by Vic Roads and Victoria Police, the former because it is an appalling designed intersection and nothing is done about it, and the latter for lack of any law enforcement. 


Actually I took this one in Prahran, it is no left turn, with big flashing lights stating no left turn. Nevertheless, if you are a forty year bleached blonde in a smart black car, you have exemption rights.ZPV 325


Later edit: A woman has just been doored below the Highrise. Her screams drew me to the balcony. Awful.


14 comments:

  1. 'Z' number plates used to denote Commonwealth Government cars, is that still the case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so Victor, but in Victoria's case, we are at the end of the alphabet. What will happen now?

      Delete
  2. No excuse for anyone being doored. Personally, I find some cyclists irritating but there's something downright stupid about flinging a door open without looking. What if a big truck was coming?

    As for watching that traffic chaos all the time, it would drive me crazy not being able to "fix" it. Don't know how you can stand it. But yes, there's a good source of revenue being neglected on that corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FC, indeed. It could be the door opener and the stepper out who could be cleaned up.

      It amused me to watching the messiness.

      Delete
  3. Tsk Tsk on all those drivers behaving badly.
    I hope the doored lady is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she is ok too River. Even though there are cycle lanes, it is a horrible road for cyclists.

      Delete
  4. Great shots. It looks and sounds like you'd had a lot of fun hanging out there. It's amazing what you can see from above, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, indeed it is and I see how you like to look from above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder if that happens often, the people getting 'doored' thing. Fabulous spot for checking the comings and goings of idiot drivers down below Andrew. Je suis blond Andrew, mais je suis un bon conducteur :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Around 38 a year in Victoria where there are serious injuries. There have been a couple of deaths too. Please to hear of your driving skills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor lady :( I used to worry a lot about being doored. Taxi's were the worst for everything, hands down (as a cyclist). There are always people doing illegal turns at that intersection on Chapel, it annoys me at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, the police used to stand around the corner in Malvern Road and catch them as they turned left from Chapel Street. Not seen it for years.

      Delete
    2. I've seen them once, in 2 years, but they were booking pedestrians for jaywalking!

      Delete
    3. Fen, you are not telling me you have been at your workplace for two years. I cannot believe that.

      Delete