Saturday, March 02, 2013

First World Problem #92

Cast your mind back to March 2012 when the Grand Pricks was underway in Melbourne and my bedroom was flooded by a burst pipe in the ensuite of the apartment above. It was stress we did not need. I ended up buying a new bed, and R, not to be left out, bought one too.

Water running down through my bedroom fan/light meant it had to be replaced, and it was. Someone paid, but not us.

My new fan looks the same as my old one, but it is not and here is why. From turn off at medium speed, all things being equal, here are the times to absolute rotation stop.

Guest bedroom, 1 minute and 21 seconds.

R's bedroom, 1 minute, 40 seconds.

My bedroom, 31 seconds.

I am not happy Jan. I like my bedroom appliances to be well greased and lubricated and they should spin free and easily. Clearly while it is newer, it will probably fail first, but given the reliability of fans, that might be after I am dead. R's fan wobbles terribly at high speed. I am sure it is well secured and it was clearly the winner in the free spinning stakes.

In other less important news, our friend in Japan has departed and is home. What a trouble free guest she was. Of course I have to say that as she reads my blog. Damn, I was going to set up the tripod and work out the timer on the camera and taken a threesome photo of us. Slipped my mind. She left us with some gifts, a bottle of Scotch, some wine, some yoghurt, some healthy muesli bars and some upmarket breakfast cereal.

We delayed our spring clean until February. We have put in some really hard yards to have the place looking nice for overseas visitors. Of course, no one notices clean, but they do notice dirty. Our abode may be modestly furnished and the carpet may be worn, but at the moment, it is as spotless as it can be.

As I am writing this, 9.20 pm, R has fallen asleep on the couch. He has to be up in a few hours to collect his sister and brother in law from the airport, at 2.05am. What a shame I am working tomorrow and I can't be of help.

Off to bed now, with earplugs in my ears. Geordie voices in the early hours of the morning are not to my taste. It will take me a day or so to tune into their accents.

24 comments:

  1. I didn't follow your comment about the fans. Is the slower shutdown better?

    In that case the fan I inherited in my new apartment is a winner, it seems to take forever to shutdown from top speed as it gently slows down to a complete stop. So slow, that initially I stood and watched it to check it really was slowing down and would not continue to spin away wildly in my absence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, a long slow shut down indicates to me that the fan is well balanced and has good lubrication.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Victor - why is a quicker shut down the bad one...?

    And "no one notices clean, but they do notice dirty" - I hear you, baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kath, see above. Inspired you to do some flat cleaning.

      Delete
  3. ANY voices in the early hours of the morning are disruptive. But Geordie accents are special. Listening to Kevin Whatley is one of my favourite tv experiences :) Especially with some of his Geordie mates in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that show must have been on a decade or more ago now. How fondly everyone remembers it.

      Delete
  4. I'll get in before Andrew.

    If it comes to a stop sooner, that's because there is more friction in the bearings.

    Think of a bicycle wheel if you spin it: it should go forever. If it doesn't, that means that when you are pedalling it, you are pedalling a little bit harder than you need to or going a bit slower than you otherwise would be.

    Same with the fan: more electricity used compared to the amount of fan-work obtained.

    Hard to quantify though. 20-cents-worth in a year? Two dollars? Over the life of the fan or Andrew's time with it, something more.

    Niggling thought. Like many niggles, the problem is in having first thought of it at all.

    As Andrew expressly acknowledges, "first-world problem."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, that was something I did not think of, a bit more electricity

      Delete
  5. The best way to get a lean house is to invite guests. Hope you all have a good time together. That is a dumb time for a plane to arrive. Don't you have a curfew like us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, we are the proof of what you suggest. No curfew here as our airport is a way out. I did not know there were flights much after midnight.

      Delete
    2. Apparently I was wrong about Brisbane Airport. We don't have a curfew but noise abatement strategies .

      Delete
  6. OOps that should read 'clean house'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Marcellous, your explanation makes me feel really good about my fan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps your fan shuts down faster because it has really excellent brakes? Much ado about nothing Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is River. Amazingly the post received comments.

      Delete
  9. Fan wobble makes me nervous - I'm not so confident as you that they are secured safely!! Call me a coward, but I deal with it by letting someone else stand/sit/sleep underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I used to have the same worries about fan wobble but not once I saw how they are installed. I would worry more if there is no wobble, meaning there is no 'give'.

      Delete
  10. You forgot the gift of Radox!! I've been home 2 days and it's done nothing but snow - I can't believe I was running around in summer gear just days ago...Hope you enjoy your next round of guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to take a bath then Wombat. As far as the forecast goes, 30+ degrees. I am over summer.

      Delete
  11. You and me both Andrew, I'm so way over summer I've gone into meltdown! PLEASE 'powers that be'(?) sort yourselves out up, down or around there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I cannot do anything but agree.

      Delete
  12. ...and I didn't mention the fan once...oops darn!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wish I had a fan! I just have a pedestal job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, what is wrong with a pedestal fan? I expect you would like someone to fan you.

      Delete