Sunday, February 17, 2013

Sunday Selections


Each Sunday River posts her Sunday Selections, a display of photos she hasn't otherwise used in her blog. My Sunday Selections are photos I get rid of when I start to get an overflow, a backlog.

Always reaching for the sky, a third storey has been added to this old city building. While it suits the building, it is noticeably different from the lower storeys.


Casper the Friendly Ghost? Dunno. Seen in a city lane.


I was having coffee in Albert Park when I noticed Combi Garage across the side street. Beside the actual garage is a fake grassed staircase and then the cafe. Very cool.


Three buskers dancing, and they were rather good from what I saw from my passing tram.


The salvias and begonias are back again this year. They are quite labour intensive to maintain. No expense spared in front of Melbourne Town Hall.



The MacPherson Robertson Fountain. I've taken a few photos of it over the years but never a good one. One day....


The Stanford Fountain off Spring Street, designed and carved by William Stanford, who spent more of his life in gaol than out.


I am not liking a Qantas plane flying near the Highrise. We never see them. Why was this one an exception?


We don't actually see the sun set, just the results of the sun setting.


Becalmed yachts in Port Phillip Bay.


An exhibition of posters of trams in the old Treasury Buildings. The trams were in service in the 1980s and 90s and were hand painted by local artists. A couple created offence, one being painted all over and having the words Mother Knows written in places on the bodywork. It did not last long on the tracks. Another had an image of what looked like a Japanese flag. The Returned & Services League took exception to that one and it was altered.  The bottom one left was done by Mirka Mora, who interestingly, I heard the other day, bankrolled Unchain St Kilda to the tune of $250,000. Unchain was a protest group set up to stop an inappropriate development at the St Kilda Triangle site. They were successful and some of the members were successfully elected to council and existing councillors were booted out by the electors.


13 comments:

  1. We occasionally see Qantas jets flying low over the harbour when they are chartered to take ill or deprived children on a 'joy flight' over Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, are you trying to make me feel guilty?

      Delete
  2. I would have loved the tram poster exhibition.

    As for the qantas plane...I'd much rather a plane than those hot air balloons which seem to fly close enough that the people in the baskets can actually peer into my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still running Ad Rad. Only takes five minutes to take a look. I like the balloons flying close. When we took our balloon ride, we floated quite close to your place.

      Delete
  3. I love the photos. Bring back memories of Melbourne. You live in a really vibrant city - obviously why I loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, it is vibrant, perhaps a little too much at times. Not so vibrant though with the hot weather. It depletes the energies.

      Delete
  4. Love the ghost! And I find waterfalls and fountains almost impossible to photograph well. But maybe that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, as you can guess, I have no experience at taking snaps of waterfalls, but yes, fountains are difficult. I tried really hard with the Stanford fountain.

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm sure you're the only one who doesn't like it - I liked both fountain pix. I find it hard to get the water looking like water & not just a white blob (or line, in the case of waterfalls).

      Delete
  5. I think that third storey fits quite well with the others. It's boxy as they are, and the windows mirror the other floors quite well too. The colour is well matched too.
    The hood image, ooops, bonnet image is definitely Casper, my favourite little ghost.
    I like the fountains, perhaps photograph them from many different angles to get a shot you are happy with.
    Did you hear that Qantas will no longer fly to Adelaide airport?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it does fit well. I expect it was added not too long after the building was built. Hood? Wash you mouth out. I am going to try hard with the MacRob fountain.

      I did not hear about that Qantas info. Adelaide now serviced by Qantas junior, Jetstar, less service, staff paid less.

      Delete
  6. Definitely Casper..and the 'results of the sun setting' are pretty spectacular Andrew. I enjoy your Sunday selections, even though I usually only get to see them on Monday haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. It is 5.30am here and we have just had a cool change, at last. I don't want to see the sun for a couple of days.

      Delete