Tuesday, January 03, 2012

So it is 2012?

New Years Eve started with a barbecue at our friend's house in Caulfield with the usual collection of local people and others from exotic locations around the world. I was hoping to be home early and maybe watch the Point fire works in Albert Park. That was an early hope. R said he wouldn't mind seeing the late fireworks. I suggested the steps of the Shrine of Remembrance but then our friend and his partner wanted to go into the city to see them.

We came home and no sooner were we home than they were downstairs waiting. It was a miserable trip into town on the tram from home. Ten minutes of being squashed into a hot tram with drunken young backpackers might be some gay men's idea of fun, but it wasn't mine.

It was decided we would go to the river bank just downstream from Princes Bridge. We had forty minutes to wait standing, but eventually some people moved from a wall and we got a seat and waited. It wasn't too hot as a nice breeze was coming up the river. We were briefly entertained by seeing a young woman with a bottle of alcohol getting booked by the police. I was not entertained by the young man reeking of garlic who sat next to me.

From where we were, we could see the city buildings, a bit of something above us on what building I am not sure and some of the Arts Centre spire. The fireworks were good of course, but why was no one concerned about the fire that had started in the spire? Being metal, I wasn't particularly worried, as it wouldn't really burn. But the fire became larger and larger.

We made haste to the tram stop to get home and we became separated from our friends in the nightmare of so many people trying to get on the trams. Idiot tram drivers blocking walkways didn't help. By this time people were looking up at the fire and police were clearing the area around the Arts Centre. Apparently it was just a plastic box that holds the fireworks that was set alight, but when molten material was falling, it was looking quite dangerous.

By 12.30 we were home alone and pouring a large scotch each.

Next day we took off for the Bellarine Peninsula to stay the night at Sisters. Although the forecast 35 may have happened in Melbourne, where we stopped in Geelong for a bite to eat had a nice cool sea breeze. At high tide where Sister lives there is no beach, but we were there about four and high tide was not until six thirty so we got a decent swim in. Back at Sister's the barbecue was fired up, drinks poured and we sat outside in the cool evening air and had a very nice meal. Little Jo got four short stories and was asleep by eight after her late NY's eve.

The art auction game Masterpiece was brought out and we a great time playing that. R and I have our own, but have not played it for nearly thirty years. In spite of my wheeling and dealing, to my surprise I came last.

It was an early night and an early morning as Sister and Bone Doctor were riding in Amy's Ride and set off at seven. R and I needed to tidy up and shower and so we needed ABC2 to babysit for and hour. The tiny twenty year old tv is connected to the Foxtel machine which is connected to the dvd player which is connected to the overhead projector. I pressed this button and that button with some knowledge, but I could not get sound. Finally I called Bone Doctor who had not yet began the ride. Press this button on the dvd remote and set it to AUX. It worked and we could now get on with things. Little Jo had told us in advance that we weren't going to the beach but out for brunch.

Some discussion of where went on and it was decided that the crepe cafe in Queenscliff was the go. Panache or something like that it was called. Sister's car has Little Jo's car seat in it, so we took off in that.

I went to get something at the small local supermarket, but at the three registers, there were twenty people lined up at each. Forget it.

Back home the house was heating up and as the temperature was to be forty degrees and with no Sister around to glower at me about the extravagance, I turned the air con on, or tried to. Nothing. I fiddled and fiddled with the remote. I looked for buttons on the unit. I checked the circuit breaker outside, nothing. For lunch we made ham sandwiches and it was in the low thirties outside and high twenties in side. The sweat was pouring off me. Sister and Bone Doctor returned having successfully completed the ride and knew of no reason why the air con would not work. She found the manual and there was discreet emergency button on the unit itself. It came to life and started throwing out deliciously cool air, but too late for us. We were off home, in the heat. We were halfway home during the 1 and half hour trip before you could say the car was reasonably cool.

Once home, stinking hot inside for at least an hour before the air con cooled the place down. It may well be a night for leaving the air con on overnight. Thirty five for tomorrow. Please, I want last year's cools summer back.

Tradie Brother made this lagerphone for Little Jo for christmas.

There are some wonderful historic buildings in Queenscliff. This one is a B&B.

The Post Office.

This event at Vue Grand, previously the Grand Hotel, sounds like fun.

Littel Jo's crepe was filled with bananas and maple syrup. Mine was filled with strawberries. R had a ham and cheese one. Delicious coffee too. The cream is of course low fat double cream, ahem.

Two different but similar towers behind the shops.

I think I need to clean the camera lens. 40+ outside and dropping inside eventually to 24 degrees.


  1. Queenscliff is a great place to take visiting relatives from overseas. Beach fun, close to town and beautiful architecture.

    I didn't have a photo of the old post office in my Queenscliff article, so there is now a link to your post. Many thanks

  2. Done that Hels, or the not full day trip to Williamstown. Your post must be from before I started to read your blog as I don't remember it. Very interesting. I have something up my sleeve about Point Lonsdale with photos.

  3. Love your trips and photos, those crepes look scrumptious!
    Melting here, dowing the red with mineral water and plenty of Titanic-and-iceberg-iceblocks here.

  4. I'm with you when it comes to wishing the weather might ease up. But it sounds as though you've had a great time, patchy in parts, but overall memorable. Thanks for telling the story. And what about that fiery spire and the poor folks who've hurt by fireworks of late. Celebrating can be dangerous.

  5. Thats hot! Up north here where it is supposed to be hot we have a cooler summer than usual. We are loving it and no aircon needed. Apart from the heat and the crowds you sound like you had a good new year. We are at an age where we can't be bothered jostling with the crowds any more to watch the fireworks.

  6. Ro, I hope it is a cool summer for your and my sakes.

    Thanks Elisabeth. One of the great things that was done in the eighties I think, was banning fireworks. Now with the internet, they are so easy to get. The police and customs need to clamp down hard or we will go back to the days of firecrackers being tied to cat tails.

    Diane, I think it may well he the last year I go to see fireworks live. It is just too hard. I moved on from being out all night NYE and I will move on again. Glad it is cool for you.

  7. Bloody heat! Bring on the winter I say!
    You should have swapped seats with Garlic Boy and put him downwind from you.
    The buildings are lovely to look at, but those crepes!! Oh Yum!!
    Now I want one. Mmmmmmm. (licks lips and dreams)

  8. Despite the technological frustrations and the heat it sounds like you had a good day.
    Could you at least get the lagerphone working?

  9. Oh I want crepes now, ham and feta please!

    I think we'll have quite a few more hot ones like that, with hopefully milder days in between.

  10. You've had it hot too River. But then you grew up in Port Pirie hey?

    Ah yes FruitCake. The lagerphone worked beautifully and no batteries required.

    They were so nice Fen. Maybe the first crepes I have eaten. R had ham and feta I think.