My shower stall. I put in a new shower head that I already knew gives good water flow. being hand held, it is useful for shower cleaning, and gay men (roll your eyes if you must, but the head is easily detachable for a strong stream of water) The old triple sliding glass door will be replaced in a couple of weeks by a semi frameless outward swinging door.
New chrome taps to match in my shower stall. R has since bleached away the red from the grouting.
The two basins were exactly the same in each bathroom. It was a hard call as to whether to go to the expense of replacing the basins so that we could have a mixer tap, but we did and we are very pleased we did.
The tap is a dream to use, and no more rubber plug. Very happy.
Empty cupboards that were crammed with my bits and pieces, all cleared, stuff thrown out and less to put back in.
These flexible water hoses should be replaced every ten years. Our are much older than that. They fail and of course you have a flood. These were what really pushed us to get the two areas updated, as we had to get a plumber in anyway to replace three sets of these pipes. He installed little isolation valves in them all and they are easy to get at if the worst happens. Otherwise, the water has to be shut off in the buildings service cupboard, one on each floor, and they are normally locked. A lot of water could flow in the time it takes for someone to arrive to unlock the cupboard, especially out of hours. One of these flexible pipes did break a few years ago in the apartment above ours and my bedroom was flooded.
While the pans themselves were ok, the toilets lids and seats were deteriorating and look at that awful cheap plastic cistern, yellowed with age. R's was the same.
Nice new and bright white china systems replaced the old, with nice self closing seats and lids.
While we couldn't have the new pans as we wanted with straight sides and going straight back to the walls because the tap is in the way, this was a reasonable compromise. The old inlet pipe was replaced with a chrome pipe and a neat little tap replaced the larger old one.
New laundry and washing machine taps.
R replaced his shower head some time ago. They are trying to make it harder for consumers to remove flow restrictors, but with the aid of an electric drill, we did and my new shower head has been drilled too.
R's bath screen with a folding panel will be replaced by a less wide frameless solid sheet of glass.
New taps for R's bath.
The kitchen tap is only a couple of years old, and apart from a very poor flow rate (which I might just fix, again with a drill) is very nice to use. But it had worked lose at the base and without specialist tools, I could not fix it. The plumber fixed it, added some Locktite to the thread, and again installed an isolation tap.
This was a real bastard to install. About 1cm behind the plaster is fibro cement, waterproofing for wet areas. It was difficult to put in R's toilet. I am not really happy with it and I think it will come loose. We will buy some butterfly bolts and that will hold it nicely.
This was much simpler. The door is hollow, but there is a piece of timber running across and inside the door where the towel rail is, so it was easy to install this new chrome towel rail in R's bathroom. The old rail was a nasty plastic job. We had bought special screws to install his dressing gown hook above where there was only the skin of the door.
Maybe in the next post I will tell you about the mystery of the toilet flushing buttons.