Monday, October 09, 2017

Own worst enemy

Not a problem we have as we live nearly half an hour away from the airport, but clearly it is a big problem for some who live close by. Taxi drivers may have been waiting in the holding area for an hour before being allowed to approach the pick up point, and then they only get a short fare. I'm afraid they must just view it as the luck of the draw. They have no right to refuse a fare without good cause, such as a person being dirty, drunk etc.

From The Age:

Dozens of taxi drivers have been fined in a police sting for refusing to take short fares from Melbourne Airport.
Plain-clothes Fawkner Highway Patrol officers posing as passengers issued the $396 fines on Friday after receiving dozens of complaints.
I don't catch cabs very often, but here is my theory. I did put this into practice once. Some people are rather timid about catching a cab and ask the driver if he or she can take them to such and such place. That is not the way to do it. I walk up to the taxi, open the rear left door, get in, greet the driver and tell them where I want to go. At times they will have the doors locked as happened to me once. I tried the door handle and it was locked and the cab driver did not seem to want to open the door, I guess wanting to filter so that he received a good fare, so I went to the cab behind and got in that one. What I should have done is taken a photo of the taxi number and the registration plate, but this was in the days before cameras in phones were widespread.

If you  are in a taxi and the driver refuses to take you, photograph his or her ID and once out of the car, the car registration and the taxi number, and note the exact time and I think the reporting process is quite simple. One report from one member of the public is not going to have a great effect, but if reports mount up about a particular driver, then there will be trouble for him or her.

Fine in theory, but if the highway patrol in plain clothes can't get taken to where they want to go, what hope for anyone.

8 comments:

  1. Shift changes cause problems here. There is a change of shift at 3pm. For about half an hour before that the drivers can be very choosy about where they are prepared to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah EC. I know the morning shift change happens here at 5am, but I don't know about the evening one. I would have thought twelve hours later, but it is unlikely to be 5pm when taxi travel is probably peaking. At the end of the day that is backroom stuff for the taxi industry and not something passengers should ever need to know or concern themselves about. If the taxi is on the rank and available, it should transport you to your destination.

      Delete
  2. It's a chance they have to take - the drivers I mean. Luck of the draw.

    Knowing where I live and the cost to get home (and no expense account to charge) we've never taken a cab. For many many years we've used off airport long term parking - driving up there, leaving the car, taking their shuttle and being dropped off at departures. Reverse when we get home. Have to say it would be nice to be driven home after a long haul flight but I'm not wasting well over $100 for the privilege ~ Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, yes, I was going to say it would be $100 plus for your cab fare home. Friends who live out your way but not quite as far use a hire car to the airport for a cheaper price than what a cab would cost. Really nice cars and the driver deals with your luggage. You do have to allow so much time to use the long term carpark. It is much cheaper to book in advance, which we considered doing this very week for our forthcoming trip to Sydney, but I suggested just getting a cab. R won't park the newest car in the carpark and I hate driving the old car on the freeway.

      Delete
  3. You get in the back door, Andrew? Traditionally in Sydney at least that is a lady's prerogative unless one is in company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, as you say, it is a lady's prerogative. I get in the back door. I am known as a back door person.

      Delete
  4. I've never had a cabbie refuse to take me anywhere, it doesn't seem to be a problem here in Adelaide. I have had a cabbie drive badly and swear profusely at other drivers on the way, it was a short trip from supermarket to home close to Christmas one year, I reported him as he'd made us feel unsafe,and got a letter stating he would be fined and called in for retraining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. River, good to hear things are better in Adelaide. I've since heard that the problem at Melbourne Airport with taxis arises from the the airport controls taxis. Other city airports do it much better.

    ReplyDelete