Wednesday, October 11, 2017

A week off

I have this week off, a week of accrued RDOs. Australians probably know what that means but for you foreign types, it is Rostered Days Off, accrued leave because we officially work a 38 hour week, when we actually work a 40 hour week. The two extra hours we work accumulate to leave.

What to do with a week off work?

Saturday was Fire Fighting Nephew's bucks night. It began with some archery and hoppo bumpo in inflated plastic trunk surrounds at Melbourne University's hockey park. Nephew's father, Tradie Brother asked if he could stay here for the night. Of course Brother. I drew a little tram map for him, but he was running late and parked nearby The Highrise and caught the tram straight to the venue. I will call you by 10pm to let you know if I am actually staying, he said on the phone. No call by 10pm. We were about to go to bed at 11pm when he metaphorically turned up on the doorstep. Not unusually, he was quite drunk. We stayed up until 2am and there was much more alcohol involved and at some point I took a photo of him with a suit bag on his head. He left at 9am on Sunday.

There is not much more to say than we felt like shit very plain the next day. But, department store Myer has a sale. Half price towels. 20% to 30% off men's wear. My god it was an effort but we did it. New towels, and today, Monday,  I lugged the old ones on the tram and then train to the Gracie Street Lost Dogs Home in North Melbourne. While in a phone queue to check if they wanted the towels, it was interesting to learn that it runs the national database for lost microchipped pets. They were grateful for the towels.



The Sunday after the Saturday night we also each bought new pants for Nephew's wedding, and I bought a shirt. I was thinking of spending about $100 on the pants and the shirt. Instead they cost about $180, heavily discounted and what I bought are high quality and stylish. I tried some cheaper pants but as soon as I put on the more expensive ones, I knew they were right. I also bought a new pair of black jeans, also discounted by 30%, slim fit jeans, Levi's 511 instead of my usual 504s. While I can't say I look hot, they look quite good on, as R told me too. They feel good to wear.

Tuesday R has a medical appointment in Malvern and I want to take a photo of something in St Kilda. He will catch a tram to doctor and then a tram a tram to St Kilda, where we will meet up for brunch, or perhaps even lunch.

Nothing planned for Wednesday, except I would like to go inside a kaleidoscope, House of Mirrors.

Thursday will be Mother Day for R and this week for me too.

Next Sunday is my significant year birthday bash. It was going to be two separate events, one for family and one for friends, but we don't have many friends and half of them are away, so it is a combined family and friends lunch at a pub. It is only a last minute decision but I have decided that I will pay for the meals. 20 x $25 = $500. No more than $600. $700 if you include my birthday cake.  Bugger 'em. They can pay for their own drinks.

Back to the buck's night. From the daytime event the menage went on to a pub in Northcote. Tradie Brother, in very daggy dress and carrying a bottle of port in a plastic bag was admitted to the venue. Hipster looking Nephew was not, so a change of venue. Later the male group met up with Nephew's betrothed girls' hen night in town to go out clubbing. The nieces' were there, as was Ex Sis in Law and the betrothed's mother. We weren't the only ones feeling very plain on the Sunday. 

Long post, perhaps a photo will improve it, perhaps. R gave Tradie Brother his old suit. Apparently, nay yes, at 1.30am it was quite funny for Tradie Brother to put a suit bag over his head. While I took the photo, I have no really memory of doing so.

16 comments:

  1. Your week off sounds busy - but fun. Last time we bought new towels the old ones went to the RSPCA. They seemed happy too.
    Enjoy your significant birthday celebrations. Mine is a few months away - and I may treat it with ignore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, there is nothing I would like to do more than treat my birthday with ignore, but there are obligations.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! Of course they should pay for their own drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, of course, except now R has complicated things by saying he will pay for drinks.

      Delete
  3. And a good time was had by all:)
    Love the pic:)
    Enjoy your bday. That's nice of you to treat everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, a bit of a case of most getting it ahead of the normal time when I am deaded.

      Delete
  4. Busy! Busy! Busy! You have it all planned out! You'll need another week off to get over this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, secret, I go back to work for two weeks and then have three weeks holiday.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, I hope the bash is a good one. Yes, let them pay for their own drinks.
    Half price is a good deal on towels, we seem to never get Myer catalogues in the mailbox anymore. I've cut up Angel's favourite quilt into smaller pieces and I'm in the process of hemming them for the Animal Shelter at Wingfield here, where I got Lola. I'll keep one piece for when Angel gets home, Lola doesn't seem to like it, she prefers the furry one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you River, and see above for who is paying for drinks. We have signed up for Myer emails, along with Coles specials, Woolworths specials, Mountfords shoes......the list goes on. Non Australia Post stuff is not allowed here, with a few exceptions. Commercial catalogues are not an exception. Keep the faith about Angel's return.

      Delete
  6. Andrew week id to short to do all activities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we will manage. It sounds a lot, but we pace ourselves slowly.

      Delete
  7. Thinking I might get new towels but on the other hand, nothing really wrong with them...
    Feeling plain is a new term (not feeling) to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, we certainly could have managed without new towels, but it is bit of a case of keeping things fresh. Feeling plain is a little lie phrase really for hangover.

      Delete
  8. Is it your birthday today Andrew, if so happy happy birthday 🎈🎉🎇🎆 it's mine tomorrow, only significant by the fact that I reached it 😀 it only takes two glasses of wine to make me feel tres ordinaire ☺ enjoy your week off, it will fly by way to quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace, and many happy returns to you. So yours in the 13th? Mine is the 14th. It is getting close to now saying, the week has flown past.

      Delete