Monday, October 09, 2017

A little sadness

I think I began my blog in 2004, or maybe 2005. There have been some disappointments along the way, mostly as bloggers stopped blogging. A couple of people had issues with what I wrote I suppose and ditched me. I get that.

A few people whose blogs I really liked and I tried with did not respond to my most brilliant wise, witty and illuminating comments and did not become readers of my blog. C'est la vie.

Something bad has happened between myself and a blogger who I so respected. It boils down to cultural differences.

I am gay, oldish, anti extreme religion, anti absurd population growth, anti right wing politics but, as anyone who I have met will attest, I am not a bad person. I don't wear my opinions on my sleeve in person. One of our best friends is a paid up member of our conservative party and was a conservative politician.

What I will say is that I feel so troubled by the disagreement, that I will not revisit the matter at all. Not the blogger or the post elsewhere where it could be considered she was criticised.

The perfectly nice Gosia in Poland had her own issues with a nasty person. We, and I know English and Americans, love to complain about the weather. It is almost our reason for being. Yet when Gosia complained about rainy days in Poland, look what an Anon, always an Anon, wrote, Don't be so selfish. Think of People living in war zones!

19 comments:

  1. *sigh* there are morons on line, yes. But the nastiest person I ever met... happened to work in the same office that I worked in. Since he was more senior, I was the one who had to move to another regional office :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Hels. The details would be an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a shame that some people can spoil our nice blogging community. I noticed that I had a strange person making prolific comments on my blog and when I went to check out their profile and blog it wasn't very pleasant. I deleted all the comments even though they were okay comments, probably just to get you hooked. I noticed that Gosia also had visited that site. Hope it won't come to anything bad for her. Years ago when I had a Bigpond blog I got abused but all my friends came to my aide.I soon got over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, at least we are experienced users and tend not to take things too much to heart. I feel for teens and the tech bullying that may happen.

      Delete
  4. I don't read Anon comments they go straight to the trash.
    There will always be a$$holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, that's a good idea, but I do have a couple of anon commenters, but they do leave their names.

      Delete
  5. Sigh. Of course you are disappointed. Sometimes bloggers become friends. Good friends. And their loss is such a sadness.
    I noticed anon's comments on Gosia's post. And thought how horrid. And uncalled for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, just pure nasty. It is not like Gosia's blog is at all political.

      Delete
  6. It is sad when you don't hear from bloggers you have come to think of as friends. Trouble is we just don't know if they've stopped blogging or died!I dont accept anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent my Sunday this weekend writing a lengthy statement for one of the forums I admin, where one user had sent an explicit video of themselves out of nowhere to another user.

    The longer one spends on the internet, the more disgusting and disturbing behaviour one will stumble upon.

    In between writing long paragraphs I managed to go and stand in the yard and watch the chooks free range. It cheered me up fairly quickly. :)

    I'd take a disagreement anyday over having to watch a video like that. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear oh dear Snoskred. What must the person have been thinking! Yes, watching chooks must be good therapy for anyone.

      Delete
  8. It's always an ANON because they are too chicken to leave their name. I've never been to Gosia's blog, think I'll pop over and have a look. I'm trying to spend less time with my computer, I have so many unaccounted for hours lost in the ether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I know what you are saying about sitting at the computer. Gosia wisely deleted the comment, and yes, always an Anon.

      Delete
  9. I've yet to be bothered on my blog but Going Gently has had some nastiness that kind of shocked me. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, indeed John has had a few nasty people. Given the number of comments he generates, it is perhaps on par.

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear that Andrew. I guess we put ourselves out there when we blog we're bound to offend someone sometimes.. I think I lost a follower when I did the story about the equal marriage mural in Freo, not much to do about it, if I feel strongly about something it's going to come out ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that is interesting about losing a reader for what is simply a difference of opinion. My thought is it is not about numbers of comments or readers, but the quality of them.

      Delete
  11. There are some very strange people out there. My troll has gone quiet at the moment, lets hope it stays that way. Sometimes it's hard not to take things personally but the only way to get past the nastiness is to grow a pair :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Meanqueen, they are generally just nasty people who can type and do little else.

      Delete