Friday, September 22, 2017

Nagging about the 'Yes Campaign'

This piece published in New Matilda set me thinking. At least I more or less had parental acceptance and I think Mother will vote 'Yes'. As a young person I was quite overwhelmed by subtle and not so subtle homophobia but I've only recently realised how much. The piece is not terribly long so have a quick read if you would like https://newmatilda.com/2017/09/17/im-not-as-okay-with-being-gay-as-i-thought-i-was/

Support for marriage equality can be seen all over the city and inner suburbs.



The Australian Marriage Equality group has quite a number of short videos on You Tube, featuring people of all walks of life, from people in the street, sports stars, mothers, fathers and so many others. Even grandmothers are in on the act and this video rather appealed to me. There is a list of the You Tube videos here. The closest anyone can get to understanding of what homophobic is like to experience, is if they are not white westerners, especially years ago. You can't change your colour and you can't change your sexual orientation. While your colour is on your sleeve, your gay identity can be hidden, but at what cost.


I've seen a picket fence in front of a Victorian house painted in rainbow colours. I have seen a large shop with each window panel with a sheet of different coloured tinted film, to make up the colours of the rainbow.

The Australian Football League says 'Yes'.



Regardless of the vote outcome, you know the battle is won when someone like my Tradie Brother told Sister he is very proud of his poofter brother and lezzo sister. Even his pets Cobber, Thelma and Betty want a yes vote. Seems also that his Gernie has made yes, on his coloured concrete, exposed to the street. 




Our voting papers finally arrived yesterday and have been returned. If you don't receive yours by the 24th of this month, contact the ABS.

I have just kept adding and adding to this post. It was originally only going to be the You Tube video. Maybe six months or more ago, the airport bus company that runs services from the city to the airport, because apparently our state is too poor to build a train line to the airport, started a new service, direct from St Kilda, back packer heaven, to the airport with only three stops along the way, Carlisle Street, outside XBase where Fire Fighting Nephew once worked, Alfred Square and the public bus stop in Fitzroy Street. It then goes by the fastest variable route to airport. It has a permanent destination headboard that alternates, St Kilda, Airport. I saw one bus last night that was different. St Kilda, Airport, Vote Yes ✓.

29 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see those YES signs. My nervous nellie self has been getting worried about the outcome of this vote. An outcome which may yet put equality to the back of the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is going to pass eventually, perhaps with the next Labor government. But aren't just so sick of hearing about it.

      Delete
  2. That article made me so sad.

    I hope the "yes" votes carry the day. When does the vote take place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. The vote is a postal vote over the next month or so, with the result announced in November, I think.

      Delete
  3. I think we might have been the first to get ours, they went back the very next morning ticked yes. But I was SO MAD to have to do it. I am so mad the high court allowed it. None of us should have to be voting for what should just be a human right and something our politicians could have fixed without spending millions of dollars on a "survey" which does not even guarantee anything happening after that. I have still not seen anyone say what happens next, after this vote, but maybe I am not paying close enough attention.

    I'm with Elephant's Child - the more time that passes and the more that I think about things like Brexit and Trump winning, the more nervous I get and the more utterly furious I am with Malcolm Turnbull for doing this at all. His political career is over, as he will find out at the next election regardless of the outcome of this vote, everyone is so mad he has spent so much money on it when none of us wanted this and he could have had a free vote in parliament.

    I am almost tempted to move into the electorate of Tony Abbott at the next election and work hard to make sure he is not elected again. I hate that guy. This is all about him imposing his religious views on the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you conservatively speaking about 1000 per cent. I have seen some of what will happen next and it isn't inspiring. IF and only if there is a yes vote our politicians will vote on it. And very few of them have committed to voting with the Australian public (or even with the wishes of their electorate).

      Delete
    2. Feel better now Snoskred? I agree with all you say, except I would not want to be in Abbott's electorate in case I ran into him in the street.

      Delete
  4. I went to a dinner last night and was surprised to hear that only half (the youngest guests) were voting Yes. The older male guests seemed intelligent, educated and cultured, yet they were voting No. It was a real body blow to hear them speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that is quite disappointing. Do you think religion influenced their decisions?

      Delete
  5. The nice Vietnamese grandmother is absolutely right. Frankly it would amaze me if anyone thought she wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, I would have hoped it was a motherhood statement, but I know it is not.

      Delete
  6. Tolerance is very important in contemporary world

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also have a lot of visible publicity for the Yes campaign in Sydney but I've been sceptical along that when it came to a popular vote it would be difficult to get the win. Recent news indicating a fall in the numbers who are in favour of marriage equality is dispiriting. Old prejudices die hard and a history of Australian distrust of politicians is not easily overcome. Religions have used fear to subdue their adherents for centuries and they have mastered the art.

    We don't just came out once in our lives; we are continually coming out. Australia just won't allow marriage equality to come easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, in spite of all the positives we see on the streets, my head tells me it will be a majority no vote.

      Delete
  8. I still haven't received my paper in the mail and still don't understand why we need such a thing when the government will have the final say anyway.
    Things would be so much simpler if the governments kept their fingers out of the pies. There are some who say this is going to harm...(whatever) and I really don't see how. Life will go on exactly as before with the one exception being anyone in love and wanting to marry can do so. This isn't going to somehow turn people gay that don't want to be and I don't believe gay marriage will have any effect on anything else either. Gay people are largely accepted as members of society, they hold jobs etc, none of that will change just because some of them will choose to marry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, this is the essence of the puzzle. Why are some people so against it? It won't affect them.

      Delete
  9. If I see one no, I erase Australia from the world map which would cause a big hole !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have your eraser ready, Gattina.

      Delete
  10. All the b/s that's going on is such a waste of time, energy and money! Just pass the bloody bill, without all this nonsense that is going on, I say!

    I've already ticked the form and posted it back a few days ago. Yes, I ticked "Yes"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, and if it is a no vote, it is just going to drag on and on.

      Delete
  11. I can't remember how I met you, but I'm glad I did. People need to see what's going on around the world, myself included) because I had no clue this was going on. Other bloggers offer so much good info. It's almost 2018, and it's so ridiculous that anyone has to go through this nonsense about something that shouldn't even be a dang issue. We all should be saying a big fat, "YES"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RO, I am pleased you did come across me. We all know it is nonsense, but we have to participate.

      Delete
  12. Ours have been in for ages! I'm starting to get a bad feeling, no one thought #45 had a chance, surely there wouldn't be more NO votes, surely! P.s. Tony Abbott makes me actually feel nauseous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Abbott's inside ugliness shows on the outside.

      Delete
  13. The most heartening thing about this debate is how many of my straight friends have actively been supporting the 'Yes' campaign. One friend told me her young daughters have drawn rainbows on their driveway. A fellow biologist has been posting a rainbow coloured animal/plant on Facebook in support of the yes vote every day since the campaign started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AdRad, I only wish the support we know was spread right across the community, but I fear the vote of the silent.

      Delete
  14. YES!

    We finally received our voting papers yesterday, so two more YES votes have been sent.

    And we are just a straight, late sixties couple who do not understand why the fuck we have to do this. Do your job, Malcolm, for god's sake! Why should the public have to do your work for you? We all know you are a weakling, but this is just ridiculous. Bill Shorten says he'll bring in SSM shortly after he's elected PM, but I'm no longer so sure we can trust him, either.

    Discrimination against any group of people in our society in Australia in 2017 is not only unacceptable, it is unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear, Rozzie. Thanks for your support.

      Delete