Saturday, August 05, 2017

Stack on the Tulla

ABC Local Radio traffic reports have been outsourced to a private company. I assume the ABC pay this private company for the traffic reports. The traffic reports do not abruptly interrupt a presenter's programme and are at a set time. Goodness knows what it would cost our ABC to put helicopters in the sky to make their own traffic reports, so I have no problem with outsourcing the reports to an expert private company.

As a fifth generation WASP Australian, I do kind of understand Aussie language and I do mostly understand what the traffic reporter is saying, but at times his rapid fire delivery leaves me unable to keep up. Worse though is every time I hear a traffic report, it is full of slang and I wonder how a person who is not a first language English speaker could possibly understand what is being said.

I know what 'A stack on the Tulla', means. But does any non local? Yes, I have experienced 'Congestion at the South Gippy merge'.

I am not suggesting formality, just understandable English.

Translating the above, the first, 'A car crash on the Tullamarine Freeway' and the second, 'Congestion at the point where the South Gippsland Freeway merges with the Monash Freeway'.

21 comments:

  1. This non-local would have known there was an accident - but not where. And the congestion issue needed local knowledge too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Point proven, thank you EC.

      Delete
  2. As my Queen is reported to have said (when asked about American English), "There is only English, and incorrect English". I think she would probably include Aussie English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, I am quite sure our English would be included, along with rather a lot of English English. She is our Queen too, rightly or wrongly.

      Delete
  3. Outsourced to a private company? Good grief... the ABC is the only trustworthy thing we have left in life. If that goes, or is broken down, the next generation of children won't be able to hand write or speak properly. Thump will be thought of as a hero, not a venal dictator. Leaving the Paris Climate Change Agreement will become a moral alternative :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is interesting to wonder how history will view Trumpet. "You are telling a joke, surely. They elected a decent and honourable black man as president, and then next they elected a buffoon called Trump? Haha. Now tell me who was really the next president after Obama."

      Delete
  4. I'm with EC: an accident somewhere, and congestion somewhere in Gippsland?

    Yes, you need to be a local, but since most such reports are for locals, I guess you just have to be fluent in "Strayan".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rozzie, I suppose newcomers quickly get used to such Strayan, but why do it?

      Delete
  5. Perhaps stack on the tulla should be added to the citizenship test to sit proudly alongside bradman's batting average
    Cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I think the Bradman question has been dropped and while I can't remember if it was the new official citizenship test, I did have a look at it and it was quite difficult.

      Delete
  6. Well I'm a Aussie but not a local and I wouldn't
    have a clue what he is talking about.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope Merle, you wouldn't. I guess the same company does the traffic reports for Sydney and they would be incomprehensible to me.

      Delete
  7. Remind me again what WASP stands for?
    I don't pay much attention to traffic reports. If my bus is late, then I'll wait, sometimes impatiently, but mostly reading my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Anglo Saxon Protestant, River.

      Delete
  8. They also talk about "apache run" which is curious because there are no Apache in Australia. And why are they running? And where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New one to me RJ. Perhaps it means rat run. I know what a rat run is. Thanks for that. I am now going to spend my Saturday night searching for the term apache run. How life has changed.

      Delete
  9. We came across a similar thing last time we were in Calgary. Breakfast tv was full of the same 'abbreviated instructions'. We had a city road/street directory and had no idea what or where they were talking about. Thank goodness for public transport and local friends who did the driving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, exactly. Fine for locals but not for visitors or people who struggle a bit with English.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, we ventured into the Canadian province of Alberta where you don't have to display a front number plate on your car.

      Delete
  10. Especially from the ABC Andrew 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I do expect a higher standard from Our ABC.

      Delete