Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Saturday dinner and Sunday lunch

We had a lovely Indian meal out with friends tonight, Saturday night. Golly, it is long time since we have been the last to leave a venue, but we were, at 9.20pm.

Tomorrow we are taking Mother out for lunch. It is about eight weeks since I have seen her, although we have spoken on the phone. R takes her out once a week, as usual. I thought I might selfishly make our outing work for me too. Gembrook is not too far from Mother's and it is the outer terminus of the Puffing Billy steam train. There is a pub right opposite the train station. We will lunch there. In winter there is only one Puffing Billy train to Gembrook, with the rest terminating at an earlier station. It arrives at 1pm and departs at 2.45. We may see it arrive but I hope we are on our way home by 2.45. Pity. Watching a steam train depart is such fun with clouds of smoke and steam, rather a lot of steam I should think with our very cold temperatures in the daytime of the low teens.

I looked at an electric map and aside from the direct main road, there are other slightly longer routes. Oh, Mount Burnett Observatory. Might be interesting and a good place to take some snaps. We shall see.

On the way home from dinner, I asked R if Mother had mentioned a time to arrive. I have to clean her air con filters, so I want to get there a few minutes early. R says she will have a list of jobs for us, which we won't do, but her air con filters will need cleaning. R then said, she will have called and left a message tonight, and sure enough, she had. "I am not well. I will sleep late in the morning. I have my jobs to do. Don't come before 11.30." Well Mother, I have my jobs to do too and we won't be there before 11.50. That time may sound silly, but we will leave at 11.00 and it is a 50 minute drive, traffic permitting.

Every Thursday R arrives home ranting about Mother. She said after her house rewiring, which I remind you, we, her children paid for, that the lights weren't bright enough, so R was putting in some brighter lights and she said, no, not in my bedroom. A previous electrician told me it should not be stronger than a 40 watt bulb as a larger bulb would not be safe. Stupid woman. Her house has been rewired and modern bulbs don't use 40 watts to give the equivalent light anyway. If this happened once, ok, but she told this to R twice. Rather like she will only put about three things in her washing machine, as it will 'make funny noises' if any more is put in. That could be true. When our clothes dryer fails, as it must do at some point, (we have replaced the belt to turn the drum and replaced the latch mechanism and it is nearly 20 years old), we will buy a new washing machine too and give Mother our old one.

Later edit: We had a lovely lunch. Photos and possibly a steam train video or two to come.

21 comments:

  1. Andrew Indian meals sounds interesting. It would be nice to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, like the British do, we eat quite a lot of Indian food. It is everywhere.

      Delete
  2. So pleased you had a good lunch. Hope you didn't neglect the air filters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very glad you had a lovely lunch - and look forward to seeing the steam train. Rather a lot. Filthy dirty things - with a heap of charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, there is no doubt about their filth, and their charm.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:45 am

    Good God. A Melbourne restaurant running out of customers by 9.20 on a Saturday evening? Must be a very low season or a very cold night. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, they had turned some tables over twice. It was busy enough and it is in a very quiet middle class suburban area.

      Delete
  5. Yes, watching a steam train depart is fun (and admiration for that iron beast)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haddock, rather better watching them than being on them.

      Delete
  6. That all sounds great! :)

    I'm about to have myself some fish and chips for lunch today; and am looking forward to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than my left over roasties, peas and pumpkin.

      Delete
  7. You replaced the belt on your dryer? Yourself? Or did someone do it for you, a repair/service company? I had mine taken away to have the belt replaced as it was squealing/screeching for about 40 minutes of every hour, when I made the appointment I told them the problem and they said "oh no, it probably isn't the belt and if it is we would have to order one in and we don't know how long that would take", so they collected my dryer and when it was "ready" I went and paid the $200 bill, they said they cleaned out a lot of lint from around the drum as well as an old bra underwire and it should be fine now. HA HA. I didn't need to use it right away as it was summer, but when I did, the screeching was still there. I bought a brand new dryer soon after.
    Still fuming about the $200 though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No River, we did it ourselves. It wasn't hard and the belt cost about $20. The hardest part was lifting it down off the wall and getting it back up there. Doesn't putting your brassieres in the dryer shrink them? I hate doing it, but I have come to the realisation that it is cheaper to replace than have something repaired. We have had made bad decisions to have repaired a tv, a dishwasher and a range hood.

      Delete
    2. Washing and drying "shrinks" everything, simply by restoring the threads to their original size after things have been stretched by being worn. I haven't put a bra in the dryer since I lost that wire many years ago, the dryer was probably about 20-25. Time for a new one anyway and the new on is so much quieter, but not on the wall.

      Delete
  8. Love it when a meal out is an enjoyable success and a 9.20 finish sounds the perfect fini time! How come you hadn't seen mum for 8 weeks Andrew? I know you don't think so but you will miss her when she's gone.. R is good isn't he, I know she drives him bonkers but he still goes, she's a lucky lady. Looking forward to the steam train video, what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I've been too busy to see my poor ailing old mother. She must do her jobs, so never visit before 11. She does washing this day, dusting this day. Saturday is for gardening. She won't go out at night. I would see her more often if R did not go weekly.

      Delete
  9. Glad you had a lovely lunch. Dealing with our relatives can be challenging. Kudos to you for taking care of your mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, yes about relatives, but mine are pretty agreeable. Don't tell R that, as he will say different.

      Delete
  10. Why do I so love hearing about your constant mother drama. Oh, but I do! Nothing is ever right or good enough and you can't do enough it seems or arrive at the right time or this or that. You seem, from a distance, hearing these stories, to have the patience of a saint, and the persistence of one too, in never failing really, as a son, to attend your mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, thanks, but I expect I sound better than I am. Sister sees Mother less often than I do but makes up for it by giving her guilt money. My two brothers do their bit too, and of course R does more than his share.

      Delete