Saturday, August 12, 2017

An anniversary

Just to note, fifteen years ago on the tenth of August 2002 we moved to The Highrise. We had sold our Balaclava house and bought The Highrise for a little more than we sold our house. Somehow we ended up with a much larger mortgage than we expected.

I was 45 when we moved here, still ever so energetic and nothing physical was ever a problem. Fifteen years later, I look back at the time with a moment of wistfulness.

I was never keen on a high rise apartment, and any R took me to did not impress me until I saw this one, flooded with light, spacious, three bedrooms, two car spaces and fantastic views.  The ceilings are not 7'3" 2.2m as in most apartments of this vintage, but 9'2" 2.8m. I put conditions on us buying it. You will not ever mention moving again. That has failed. It must have fast internet. We soon found it out was backbone wired by Telstra for Foxtel and cable internet. I did not insist on it, but the day we moved a very attractive blonde Scandinavian born chap was here to connect our computer to the cable internet. Thank you R. Fifteen years later, now with a high speed fibre optic connection, the NBN, our internet speed is not much faster than it was when we moved here.

We did realise after a time that we did not need to worry about debt, as we had an investment property, that was always a negative drain on our finances, along with the mortgage here. We sold the flat and that paid off all debts. We paid a bomb in tax ($25,000?), but it was due and while it could have been reduced by being dishonest, I sleep easily at night. For the first time in my life, enough money for decent holidays, a newish car and not quibbling about a couple of dollars. Well, I do still quibble about a couple of dollars.

It would be a massive understatement to say that life has not changed since we moved here and in some ways not for the better, but I still love our apartment as much as the day we first saw it. It is now worth a lot of money but I think we could have done just as well on the stock market with the equal to its purchase price. Its value is not important to me, until we try to spend the value of it. Live a life of luxury and nothing for the family. But guessing when you will die is so problematic.

This is the layout. The balcony faces east, rising sun and all that. I am in bedroom 1, R is in 2 with his wall mounted tv and the drying washing is in 3.

Bedroom 3 is the more interesting because many people have slept there. Little Jo more than most. Sister and Bone Doctor, Our Friend in Japan, our friend from Larrikins End, Hippie Niece and her partner and another time with her friend, Firefighting Nephew and his mate, Tradie Brother, ABI Brother, Mother, one of our Brother Friends, Prince Harry, Jon Bon Jovi, Ben Cousins, Step Mother, R's sister and her husband, R's other sister and her girlfriend,  me when my bedroom was flooded. I've probably missed someone who has slept in our spare room. We tell them we change the sheets after each visitor, haha. They are the same sheets unchanged on the bed that we put on the bed in 2002. Probably due a session in the Fisher and Paykel top loader. Extra soap powder required but I won't waste fabric softener for visitors' bedding.


22 comments:

  1. I am really glad to hear that you love your apartment as much as ever. The perfect reason to avoid moving.
    Smiling (rather a lot) at 'I won't waste fabric softener for visitors' bedding'.
    I have just stripped, washed and remade the bed in our spare bedroom. And did spring for fabric softener. Extravagent aren't I?
    With luck we are to be connected to the NBN on Monday week. Hopefully it will go smoothly. And our speeds will improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is an easy place to grow old in. R usually washes the spare room bedding and he uses fabric soften for many things. I only use it for towels. You may well be the exception to the rule with NBN connection. What a time of it Copperwitch has had. Which of you does the tech stuff?

      Delete
    2. If it is experimental tech stuff him. If it is boring, mundane stuff me. So a bit of both.

      Delete
    3. Complementary then. All good.

      Delete
  2. I see what you did there, it is the same thing I do when I sense The Other Half is not listening to me. It would go a little something like this.

    So we'll go to Aldi and get the shopping, but we better hurry home fast because my great friend Kate The Duchess Of Cambridge is coming over. She's bringing all the brooches the queen owns, and we're going to pin them all onto one dress and then head out on the town. I suspect this will make the dress very heavy to wear, though, plus it will put a lot of holes in it. I will have to choose wisely! Then we're going to visit Prince Harry, because we can.

    I did manage to get the entire way through a story almost exactly like that once, and he did not twig till Prince Harry was mentioned. :) Harry always gives it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really funny, Snoskred. I don't know why I really inserted those names, maybe subconsciously with the intent you suggest.

      Delete
  3. My youngest has just bought a second house in Broadbeach Qld. He now has three homes. My daughter in Rockhampton has been trying to sell her beautiful, nearly new, house, but can't. I do hope that Aussie property remains a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, my opinion is the whole Australian property market is a Ponzi scheme dependent on high immigration. Other more learned types are inclined to agree with me.

      Delete
  4. You won't need the fabric softener for me, Andrew, cos I'm allergic to the stuff. Horribly so. So you can put my share on Jussy's sheets. His tender skin might need something. Then again, no fabric softener for him since he'll be sharing that room with me!

    But good to know you and R lucked out with such a great apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rozzie, haha. We can but dream about Jussy. i"ve haven't hear of people being allergic to fabric softener, a fact worth remembering.

      Delete
  5. Andrew it is spacious apartment and so comfortable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes we very much have it how we like it. Just the bathrooms to have a minor renovation.

      Delete
  6. Copperwitch is still having a bastard of a time with nbn and Optusnet. Latest, is having a Toll envelope jammed in the post box with a return Toll envelope inside. One piece of paper which said, this is your only receipt but nothing to say what I had to return. Small print says I have to pay return. I assume it's the modem they want, both of them, nobody in the shop seemed to know and told me to ring customer care and customer care in Manila will then ring Melbourne Optus who couldn't find their backside with a dolphin torch and 4 sniffer dogs. I also have a rotten sore throat so I'm not ringing any call centres, I feel much too delicate, so much so I couldn't get the lid off the ice-cream last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Jah Teh. I would just ignore the request until and if their request is made clear. Gargle some Bombay Sapphire for your throat, but swallow, don't spit.

      Delete
  7. I'd insist the visitor bring their own bed linen and take it with them when they leave! ')

    The lay-out of the unit is good...particularly with the eastern aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, that is a good idea, but we do like the bed made up. It looks tidy that way. Northern aspect might be better, with city views, but then we would not have the southern and western views of the lake and Port Phillip Bay.

      Delete
  8. Just going by the floorplan, it looks like a really great apartment. I'm happy you're so happy with it, but I thought your bedroom had a balcony too. My brother's rented apartment also has a leaky bedroom, there's a problem with the window where rain comes in and floods the carpet, he's been trying to get if fixed for 11 months now, but the corporate body is dragging its heels, so he can't have anyone to stay over (me) because the room smells of damp and mould which I'm allergic to.
    I'm not allergic to fabric softeners, but am allergic to many of the 'exotic' fragrances they use in them these days. The "original" Huggie suits me just fine, although I no longer bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, no, sadly no balcony for me. My bedroom was wet from a broken pipe above, but there are one or two apartments in the building that had weather water leaks, which were eventually repaired. It takes time for the process to happen, and there is probably less pressure to get the job done when a tenant occupies the place. We buy five litres of Comfort at a time, which last about a year. We have space beside the washing machine to store it.

      Delete
  9. I hope it was in Bon Jovi's good looking years, he's a bit worn out now, as for Prince Harry, next time he stays over, pass on my address and tell him he'll get a very warm reception 😀😀 The apartment looks perfect, best thing no garden to look after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Bon Jovi certainly was smouldering hot. I already have one old man. I don't want another. On a nice day like today, it would be good to have a little patch to potter in, but that thought quickly passes.

      Delete
  10. Seeing the sun rise each morning... now that is my type of apartment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, it is lovely to see the sun rise as I sit here at the desk. But in summer I am not usually up that early, so the blinds are tightly shut against the hot morning sun.

      Delete