Thursday, August 17, 2017

ABC whinge

Nothing written for today, so here I go clearing the decks again of unfinished posts that go nowhere and don't reach a conclusion. 

I was going to write a whinging email about the amount of music played on local ABC radio stations. Hello? I listen to a talk station for talk?  You may have noticed I like to whinge. It is my English genes. Instead I will write more locally, about my ABC, that is ABC Radio Melbourne.

The programme grid begins for me often hearing a little of overnight national radio before 5:30. I expect the broadcaster is not at his or her peak at the point and it is pretty boring.

Then on comes Red Symons, a brilliant broadcaster who makes the trivial so interesting. The news and AM are compulsory when I am home to listen to them.

AM is followed by the leading Australian morning presenter, Jon Faine. Now, his programme runs from 8:30 until noon. Three and half hours daily is a long time on air. The final hour is called the Conversation Hour. As far as I know, he is only broadcast in Victoria, and his counterpart in Sydney, Richard Fidler,  is broadcast all over Australia except for Victoria. To ease Faine's workload, knocking off the last hour and keeping him on air for many more years, I would be ok with Feidler being broadcast to Victoria, as long as the programme is truly national and not Sydney focused. I have heard Fidler on air but I've not listened enough to the content of his hour to know how national his programme is.

Then after The World Today comes Clare Bowditch. She is an adequate broadcaster and no doubt a perfectly nice person but frankly I find her a bit boring, and she is so focused on music and musicians to the point I just switch the radio off at 1pm. Rubbish music that will never stand the test of time. Former broadcaster in the same time slot, Richard Stubbs, was quite good, but even he played too much music.

Now here is serious suggestion to ABC Melbourne management. Extend the 1pm presenter on air time to 4pm from 3pm, and make Drive presenter Raphael Epstein's reduced 4pm to 6pm programme tightly focused on the happenings of the day and more political. Cut out the frippery and the music and the vomit making Tracks of Your Life.

25 comments:

  1. Andrew I love listening the radio before I leave to my work it is my daily routine coffee youghurt and piece of bread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, radio is my favourite, well above tv.

      Delete
  2. You've reminded me that I was supposed to listen to our ABC last night. A neighbour told me P was going to be talking about the cuts to benefits and what it would mean to pensioners, and of course I forgot to tune in because I so rarely listen to talkback radio. I suspect the after lunch music is because many people are digesting lunch and trying to stay awake or focus on work so aren't in any mind to properly take in a talk program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, was that on your local radio? That is 891? Or Nightlife? If nightlife, there will probably be a podcast. At the moment only Wednesday's are showing. I am sure you are right about winding down after lunch. But it is not what I want, and of course it is all about me.

      Delete
    2. 891, Peter Goers has a talk segment on at 7pm.
      I have a t-shirt that says It's All About Me.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:44 am

    Listen youngster, I remember back in the day, said the old fart........
    I am old enough to remember when the ABC played lots of good music back in the 60 throughout the day, starting with the Russ Tyson Breakfast Show. Then he got transferred to the Hospital Hour where he played requests from patients. With a ten minute book reading half way through. The rot set in when it became the Hospital Half Hour and was then dropped altogether. Then they went to all talk format and I all but stopped listening. Journos at the Sydney Morning Herald used to joke if it wasn't for the paper's stories, the presenters would have nothing to talk about as they religiously followed up on news items there.
    But when I got my first cassette player, I used to keep it on record and pause so I could easily tape the great songs of the day. That was before CD compilations. - Ian PS I hope the readers here do remember cassette tapes and CDs, otherwise google them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, at times I think my readers will have played 78s in their youth. I am not sure we had Tyson here. I can only remember Peter Evans, who when I began listening broadcast for the east coast and then later, just Victoria. I have heard of the Hospital Hour. One of our commercial radio stations had a Sunday morning, I think, show where a reporter would go out overnight and report in ghoulish detail about terrible car accidents, and get opinions about what happened and who was at fault. Great listening!

      Delete
    2. I remember cassette tapes and still have a whole bunch of mix tapes I made from the radio and from my daughter's cd's.

      Delete
  4. I thought Pauline H wanted to reduce the ABC, not make it stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I understood she wanted better coverage for the country areas and 'less bias'.

      Delete
  5. And of course right this very minute Red is away on sick leave and Jon is away on 'leave' which means we have all and sundry filling in half of which I don't care for.
    Result in my house is that the radio doesn't get turned on or if it does promptly gets turned off again.😊
    I can get my news on 24 which also has a whole lot of new presenters to contend with!
    Do you think it still costs 8 cents a day? Oh and I'm with you on music being on talk radio - only person I enjoyed having that content was Derek Guille when he was on in the evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, Derek was wonderful. He made a guest appearance a couple of weeks ago. I have taken to listening to ABC News Radio. Last I heard, our ABC cost us 11 cents per day.

      Delete
  6. Ian, I'm so young I only remember Russ Tysons's Hospital Half Hour!
    I thought it was only a Queensland show, although I'd be delighted to learn it was not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rozzie, I am really not sure. As I said, I can't remember it here, but maybe before my time as an ABC listener.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:22 pm

      I was living in Queensland at the time, so it may just have been a local show. - Ian

      Delete
    3. Well, I would really like to know. I've heard of the programme.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous8:19 am

      My memory played me false. Russ resigned from the ABC in 1966 and it was Gary Ord who took over the Hospital Hour.
      OBIT from 2014
      Russ Tyson, the first person to appear on ABC television in Brisbane, has died at the age of 94.
      Tyson was a long-serving presenter for ABC radio in Brisbane, starting as a cadet announcer in the late 1930s. When World War II broke out he went on air in Borneo with the Australian Army’s radio station.
      After the war ended he returned to ABC, hosting the breakfast program from 1948 to 1966 as well as the Hospital Hour.
      On television he was the first to appear on ABQ2, the ABC’s Brisbane station, on the night it opened in November 1959, and hosted programs including Anything Goes and national series On Camera. He continued to work with ABC until he resigned in 1966, citing differences with management over changes to the breakfast radio program.
      Russ Tyson is survived by his wife Joy and their children and grandchildren.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the accurate info Ian. Differences in with management. Our ABC presenters used to be quite prone to that.

      Delete
  7. I hear on the radio this morning that Melbourne has been voted the No 1 city in which to live. Vancouver 2nd, and Vienna was 3rd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, we did, but it was not voted by us, that's for sure. The market for the survey is for overseas executives who may come to work in Australia for a period, so it is not terribly relevant. I only mention this because I loved Vienna, but you have transposed Vienna and Vancouver in the rating. Vancouver is rather good too.

      Delete
    2. I was still half asleep.

      Delete
  8. I rarely listen to radio. Yet another habit I didn't acqire. I hope Red returns to health soon though. Ascerbic and clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, he is certainly missed by me. Clever bloke.

      Delete
    2. Oh, EC, you made a typo. You never make typos. Not pregnant are you?

      Delete
    3. Brain dead. And possibilities is the only thing I am pregnant with.

      Delete