Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Turmoil down below

No, down below does not refer to my nether regions. What I am talking about is the tram reconstruction works that have gone on below The Highrise. This is all because a very long train tunnel is being bored under inner Melbourne. Part of Domain Road will be closed for the construction of an underground railway station. Should I live long enough, it will be a ten minute walk to the Domain Interchange, door to door, and then a two minute trip on an underground train to town.  All good, but there is pain involved for us. I've spent a bit of time on this map and I enjoyed making the map (especially using Little Jo's crayons), but if I knew what I was doing, it would not have taken so long. I became determined about it. For the first time I have written on a photo. Why did I not just make one text box and then the text would have lined up?


To my surprise, after searching through many photos, I seem not to have taken an overall photo of the intersection below. It is a busy, in the past quite dangerous and now a quite congested meeting of roads. I have tighter photos of the intersection and here are a few. It is now a construction site as I write, and the noise of 24 hour work has been annoying but not too intrusive while we are sleeping. Obviously there will be more to come.




18 comments:

  1. Andrew funny traffic jams, Luckily I am not in it,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not normally that bad, Gosia. There must have been a problem.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. At the moment there is a lot of roadwork going on in our immediate vicinity. My cynical partner said that they still had money in the pot and had to make a start on it before the end of the financial year. Some of it seems sensible, and some of it bizarre. Like a huge roundabout at an intersection which was never a problem. Nothing at the next one down (which is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I don't think your partner is too cynical. I have heard that if allocated money is not spent, it is returned to the big pot. Maybe the roundabout that is a problem will be next.

      Delete
  3. The intersection does look very busy, thank goodness we don't have the volume of traffic and resulting grid locks that China has.
    The new more direct tram route looks good on paper, but what happens to all the stops along the old route, will people be left stranded because the new connections are too far away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, people will lose that tram line but it is only about five minutes walk from the old one to the new one. Some people will be closer to the new and very happy. A bus route has been altered to service a short part of the old route.

      Delete
  4. Crikey ..... I'n sure glad I don't live in a city. I'd get bowled over by one of those cars for sure. Im good at crossing roads. I just go hell bent for leather and hope for the best. No worries here. Not many cars but I wouldn't like my chances at your place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, it would be a leash for you then, until you get to the park at least.

      Delete
  5. nether regions :) cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I don't know where that phrase comes from. It just popped into my head.

      Delete
  6. After living so long out of the hustle and bustle of capital city living...I don't know how I would cope if I had to do it again. I left Brisbane in 1979...a long time between drinks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, as you may remember, I was there in about '76 or '77 and it seems unrecognisable to the Brisbane I recall.

      Delete
  7. Seems quite a busy intersection. Hopefully the construction noise won't be too bothersome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very busy, Sami. It was only the Saturday when they were using concrete breaking machines that was really bad, otherwise, it is kind of background noise, which we are used to.

      Delete
  8. Our mob is doing the same thing all construction on roads everywhere everything is over budget and taking much to long, lots of underground stuff too.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes, there are huge amounts being spent and yet to be spent in your state. Like here, not much was done for a number of years and now we are trying to catch up.

      Delete
  9. Will you please stop leaning over your balcony like that Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am ok doing that, until I think about dropping the camera or my glasses or my phone. The two very young nieces wanted to go out there last week. I had the worst height fear ever.

      Delete