Sunday, July 09, 2017

Sunday Selections

A  modest Sunday Selections today. River and others will join in.

The details are hazy now but this couple live in one of a pair of houses in Kew and I am sure they did not want the other house demolished, but it was. God knows what will be built next to them. Photos from The Age. I suppose a two storey house could be adjoined to the remaining house with some sympathy, but I really doubt that will happen.



The side of our local supermarket. The strapping went right up to the carpark above. Was the trolley lowered down, and if so, why? It looks like some sort of prank to me.


It is a bit hard to see, but I like this sculpture of someone swinging in a tree at an aged care home.


The top level balconies of our building have drainage of what we call spitters. The rain water drains from the balconies  out these pipes, and in heavy rain it really shoots out, and breaks up into small droplets before it hits the ground. Their installation in new buildings is now illegal and they do cause problems, such as us getting a shower on our balcony if a gust of wind blows our way. Downpipe is being installed by a combination of plumbers and abseilers.


You can see brackets have been installed.


Only two levels in the building have these concrete balconies. I do not know why. They are so ugly. The other is much lower. A hole has been drilled for a pipe to connect to the downpipe.


I thought this was a good idea, directional stickers on the footpaths while the tram service is disrupted by the works below.


I like this little bit of window decoration at the City Library. Unlike the State Library, this is a lending library operated by the City of Melbourne and it is extremely popular. Last time I was there, I repeat extremely popular. City of Melbourne operates other libraries within its boundary and I have shown them to you in the past. They are all successful. Libraries will not die but just reinvent themselves. This is good.


10 comments:

  1. Love the aged swinger - and the library window. Our libraries are popular too. Long may it continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, and if libraries are no longer the silent places they used to be, it is a price worth paying.

      Delete
  2. River has garden photos and El Chi has pink clouds with 26 comments already, now you are outdoors too with rain + city views.
    I am inside with heaters.
    Love to youse all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I enjoyed both River's and El Chi's photos. Pleased to hear you are warm.

      Delete
  3. The concrete balconies are very common in Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we have them here too on some buildings, but they are not usually mixed in with glass balconies.

      Delete
  4. I really, really like the library window decoration. I'm glad your building is getting a downpipe, spitters aren't a good idea for busy city streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, this side, most of the water went into the courtyard of the ground floor level apartment. I would not be happy if I lived there. A little rain would just see them drip.

      Delete
  5. Gosh wouldn't it be awful if your, in this case my next door neighbour decided to knock down and build something hideous.. although I am addicted to Grand Designs and it could be quite interesting 😀 I'm glad your high-rise is getting downpipes, essential I would have thought? Viva le libraries ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, they certainly are now. My Tradie Brother couldn't believe they were allowed when he first saw them. Yes, you are so dependant on good neighbours.

      Delete