Saturday, July 22, 2017

Learn with me

I won't do anything too big or detailed but there are some things I want to know about.

Firstly, do you remember me mentioning that on the various hop on hop off buses we used in Europe, the recorded announcements had various language options, two of which Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. I want to know how different these same languages are. Can they understand each other?

Let me look. As a last resort I will ask Sami. Yep, easy to find out. Yes, it is a bit like British English and American English, differences and accents, but mostly understandable. I guess for ease for the listener they use the two different forms of Portuguese on the buses.

Next, I understand how air conditioners cool. They are like your 'fridge. A gas is compressed and becomes cold and air is blown through a grill where the gas circulates. Easy, but how do they heat. They take warm air from outside and pump it inside. Really? What warm air? It is freezing outside. How can they find warm air outside? I am sure there is an electric heating element somewhere. Maybe you can tell me how it works. I have given up after reading too many times about how an air conditioner heats. And are heat pumps the same as air conditioner heating?

Back to Portugal. I have been reading a biography of Dame Daphne Park on my electric reading machine, she being one of the first women in Britain's MI6 or SIS as it was known. I haven't finished the book but I expect she becomes head of MI6. There was a reference to communist uprising in Portugal in the 1970s, and naturally enough, British spooks interfered so that there would be a good outcome for the the west. I know nothing of this uprising. Let me look. Right, that is all to do with Carnation Day, celebrated on Australia's Anzac Day, also the day we arrived in Lisbon. Why did I not connect the two? Sami wrote about it back here.

I haven't finished with air conditioners yet. You may remember our air con evaporative tray, with the steam off the water heating element that failed. I was extracting about five litres of water a week by sucking up the water with a soft plastic bottle and a car wash sponge (thanks River) , but the amount of water slowly reduced and now the tray has dried out altogether. Why do they produce water and why has it dried out? Another easy one. While I don't know the process, when the air inside your home is damp, that is humid, the air conditioner takes the humidity out of the air and turns it into water, which is what fills our tray. This makes sense and the evaporating tray problem happened just after we returned from our four week holiday and there must have been a lot of moist air inside and it took time to dry it out. Our air con heating has been running from about 6am to 11pm, and so the air in our apartment is now very dry, as are the surfaces and fabrics, including of course the carpet. So, no more water production in the tray.  Wrong. The tray as I typed that had filled with water. At times when it is cooling in summer, it makes a lot of water. I suppose it is for the same reason, but why in winter? I'll leave that for another day. (Some rainwater has gone into the tray over the last couple of days.)

The Greens??? They are toppling out of our Federal Parliament at quite a rate because they are dual nationals. I agree with the principle that you should only be citizen of Australia and do not have an allegiance to another country, and therefore will only govern in Australia's interest.

Having said that, it is most unfortunate that two Greens Senators have had to resign. That they did not know they were dual citizens is beyond belief and they are suffering the consequences of their 'ignorance' and have had to resign from Parliament. In the case of Larissa Waters, how did she not know she was born in Canada and was also a citizen of that country? (Later, she was an unfortunate victim of a change of Canadian law when she was one week old, but still, she should have known) How can she get rid of Canadian citizenship? Google answers me satisfactorily again, yet it won't tell me the meaning of life. Apparently it is quite simple. You fill in a form.

R is more up to speed about such matters for a change, and tells me the Liberal and Labor Party members have already been put through a machine and come up clean on the citizenship front. How unfortunate. I hoped we might be rid of conservative party Mathias Cormann. Apparently his Australian citizenship killed his Belgian citizenship. Not so in the case of Larissa Waters and Canada. Even the idealistic Greens Party disappoints.

Back to the Dame Daphne Park biography, of course she was in MI6 during the time of the unmasking of the English spooks who were double agents, serving Russia. It was a field day for the British tabloids, with tales of sex, naked pool parties, homosexuality and spies.  I was very amused to read a learned American back then offering his opinion that while his country understood sex and understood spying, it could not understand how the British had managed to combine the two.

22 comments:

  1. I think that sex and spying have always been linked. Blackmail potential if nothing else.
    In Larissa's case I can sort of understand. If she had been born a week later she wouldn't be a Canadian citizen. She should have double checked though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, I agree with you about Larissa. She should have just checked.

      Delete
  2. Andrew I love learning with you. Your post were and are educational for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, always learning but mostly forgetting too.

      Delete
  3. Sorry Andrew - you lost me with the words Learn with Me.
    So many subjects - so little time 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I only ever learn very superficially.

      Delete
  4. Do they dig into everyones past in politics and find these thing out or only the ones that are in the way or making a fuss, how to survive in politics sit on the back bench and only vote with your party in between sleeps of course .
    Air conditioners don't have one so no real knowledge about them.
    As for different speaking any thing but English it's all greek to me.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, you are so right about how to survive politics, but nowadays, they may not keep pre-selection if they don't do much.

      Delete
  5. I believe humidity is the answer - aircons remove moisture from the air. Friday morning was very humid in Melbourne according to the weatherzone and I am guessing that is when you typed this? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, it wasn't Friday morning, but I know you are right. Is it external humidity or internal, or both?

      Delete
  6. As for 'American English', I'm sure you are aware that there is only English and incorrect English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, I cannot agree. There is correct and incorrect English and then there is Australian English, and some kinder technology companies offer this choice in the settings of their products. If there is not that choice, I choose British English as that is closer to how we write and speak than incorrect English.

      Delete
  7. I know nothing about how air conditioners work. I'm just glad mine does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep River.They should almost be stock standard now in any accommodation. They heat cheaper than gas, oil or direct electric heating.

      Delete
  8. The only countries in the world who speak Portuguese are Portugal, Angola, Brasil, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau
    East Timor and Macau. But Brasil alone has 200+ million people, 4 times as big as all the rest of Portuguese-speaking people put together. Thus, my Brasilian friends believe, only Brasil's Portuguese counts!

    I lived with 10 Brasilians during my Gap Year... gorgeous people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, yes, it is not a widely spoken language but Brazil has kept it alive more than anywhere. I agree. From my observations, Brazilians are gorgeous people, but did I hear last week that in one week alone, 65 people who were walking up to see Christ the Redeemer were killed by robbers?

      Delete
  9. Well Andrew Portuguese from Portugal and Portuguese from Brazil speak the same language, although we do have different meanings for certain words or different expressions only used in one of the countries. I thinks the fact that Brazilian Portuguese was an option on the hop-on hop-off buses is because Brazilians tend to have difficulty understanding our accent. But because in Portugal we (or rather they) have been getting a barrage of Brazilian soap operas transmitted on TV for the last 20 years means that the Portuguese can understand the Brazilians perfectly! (No subtitles ever though). In Brazil any Portuguese soap opera transmitted on their TV channels must have subtitles!
    Enjoyed the rest of the history lesson too Andrew, have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really interesting Sami, thanks. Somehow I knew soap operas on tv would be somehow involved.

      Delete
  10. Well I'm glad that you answered most of your queries yourself or with a bit of help above Andrew. I don't think the English have a problem with sex and just about anything Andrew 😀 I wish with fervour that the Americans could separate religion and politics, but they are so damned pious it's never going to happen unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you are so correct about the US and religion. Even scientists there can be believing Christians.

      Delete
  11. I've struggled to figure out how a heat pump or heating air conditioner can remove heat from the cold outside air, enough heat to keep a house warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, perhaps there are some things we just aren't meant to know.

      Delete