Saturday, July 08, 2017

A lighter moment

I seem to have done a lot of grumbling and whining of late. Here is something a bit happier.

Our niece Little Jo turns 10 in a few days. Yes, some of you long time readers will now fall off your orthopedically designed chairs. How can time have passed so quickly. I posted about when she donor conceived and was born and have posted about her many times since.

We were in a card shop this week, to buy her a birthday card. R has already bought her present, a heavily discounted Lego block thingie. It was on her list of many things she wanted. We will keep the receipt in case she is overwhelmed with Lego and wants something else.

I enjoy reading the funny things on birthday cards in shops. But this shop went one step further with drink coasters with some funny slogans. Here are a couple that I think I can remember.

"Only the best hipsters are born of mummies who tells them they are extra special children".

"I looked up from my phone yesterday, and I did not like what I saw".

"By the time a man realises that maybe his father was right, he has a son that telling him that he is wrong."

"Humans are the only animal that allows its young to return to the nest".



19 comments:

  1. The last one is particularly true. My partner's nephews (aged in their thirties) have never left the nest. Waaaaay too comfortable.
    And I couldn't get out fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, perhaps it is related to the first quote about hipsters.

      Delete
  2. If I was nearing 40 and had no partner in sight, pregnancy by sperm donor would be sounding like an excellent path to happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, she did have a partner but as she is a she, they required outside assistance.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday wishes to your niece. And those are quite funny, the saying on those cards. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the last saying is so true. Happy Birthday for her from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Talk dirty to me, Victor.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to your niece.
    Those sayings are quite funny. I never have any idea to write on cards so always buy cards with something written on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami, it takes longer to find the right card with the right words, but I agree with you.

      Delete
    2. And any handwriting to be done on cards is done by R. He no longer even shows me to check what he has written. I trust him.

      Delete
  7. Happy soon Birthday to Little Jo. I love reading the cards in shops too, I spend ages finding just the right one.
    Humans are the only animal that does a lot of things the animal kingdom would frown upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we humans are strange creatures, for sure.

      Delete
  8. Happy happy birthday to Little Jo 🎈🎉🎈 I think I missed the first few years Andrew, but still.... 10!!!How time flies when you write a blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, it is hard to believe 10 years has passed so quickly. And look at the people I have met through my blog!

      Delete
  9. Card shopping usually has me chuckling. Some shops near my house also have matching coasters and cocktail napkins with funny phrases. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess. They would be good conversation pieces when you have guests for dinner, which we no longer do.

      Delete