Thursday, June 22, 2017

Tiresome Job

I am getting awfully fed up by work. Ten years ago it was known as a 'follow up', to see how well you were performing in your job. Then it became 'refresher' to refresh your skills but there was little of that. Next, it changed to 'employee development day'. In its latest guise, 'periodic employee review'.  Naturally, acronyms are used, such as EDD and the latest, PER. No one ever tells you what these stand for, but in time you find out.

I have my own acronym about work. FFS, leave me alone to do my job.

Yes, I am in a bad mood. It happens every so often that I suffer from back pain, usually brought on by a combination of things, so far as I can tell. It is the typical lower back pain at the base of my spine and it has gone on for over a week now. No doubt it is related to sitting for long periods at work, but something does set it off, and I suppose I am not good at not doing things that aggravate it, such as washing and changing my bedding. Bending to pump water from the air con drip tray. I thought I was nearly ok, but then last night at midnight, I woke up in terrible pain and eventually found a very unnatural sleeping position for me, on my left side, that stopped the pain.  It will heal. At R's behest, I began taking Voltaren Rapid 25, which do seem to help.  But I worry that if they kill the pain, then I will do things that will further aggravate my back and not feel the pain that would tell me to stop.

In the bigger picture of life and the tragedies around the world, and worries closer to home like a missing Angel, a little back pain is neither here nor there, but it does reduce my tolerance of the bureaucratic nonsense in my workplace. Also at work, apparently as a result of the Amenities Committee fighting with the Social Club, the Christmas in July dinner dance has been cancelled. I had no intention of going anyway.  You can tell I work with a lot of people from the subcontinent when they organise a dinner dance. Actually, I remember such occasions from my childhood and they were great events. Now what was the difference between a dinner dance and a supper dance?

Good to add photos to a post. Here are a couple taken at work.

Red is such a problematic colour when exposed to the elements. The world is full of cars with fading red paintwork.


If you are a blogger and a nazi spelling and grammar type, then be aware, I will be wathching your every word. You will make an error one day and I won't say mention it but I will feel some self satisffaction. So, he/she is not perfect after all. Nevertheless, I expect professionals to be professional and I have no tolerance for errors in professional publications. Would you trust the financial organisation that produced this poster? (in actual fact, credit unions are so highly regulated, they are probably the most trustworthy of our financial institutions, and they are community based).


R tells me to give up work, but given I won't get a pension for another seven plus years, I worry so much that I don't have enough money to support myself until then, and even if I do, maybe there will be no spare money left over to supplement my pension. While we don't go without and do spend on holidays, our lives are quite modest in comparison to some people's. Because I have always worked, I have never had to worry big time about money, but if I give up work, is that when the worry begins? 

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:32 am

    It's always one way, isn't it? No chance of an employees' review on the skills (and I use the word loosely) of the clowns who run the place. Usually promoted far beyond their level of non expertise, I find. Promoted Incompetence Sub Standard Office Fixtures and F**kwits, There, now you have a new acronym and may use it or improve on it as you will. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I all the way with you work sucks, there is little you get from it unless you are doing something you really like my last days at work were awful there were people who I worked with I would happily murder, they were only feathering their own nest with all the meetings about nothing so I retired at 55 not easy as I lived on nothing for some time but my life was my own and I had no debts.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is very much like that. I wish I was brave enough to do as you did.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, It seems as if those days are long gone where you simply go into work, do your job then go home.
    In my last but one job, which I left out of complete frustration, the Managers were constantly thinking of ideas to annoy, or should I say, keep the workers alert and on their toes.
    And sometimes the most ridiculous things including as you mentioned 'Individual Staff Reviews.'
    And if at the start of a new working week they hadn't come up with yet another stupid idea then they would do something so trivial as to move the Staff Noticeboard from the left side of the Staff entrance hallway and put it up on the other right hand side of the wall... just to annoy us and keep us alert.

    But I like what Merle says and agree with every word. I've always thought that health is more important than wealth. They say that almost 70% of workers hate their jobs.

    Sorry to hear about the back. But I wouldn't rely on over the counter drugs. Perhaps a visit to the Hospital through your Doctor and maybe a possible X-Ray to see what the real problem is.
    We don't want you conking out before your Pension is due, if you feel that determined to work till then.
    Out of interest I bought a new bed (online... my mistake as I couldn't test it out) about 2 yrs ago. Sadly it was flat and hard so I bought this amazing 4 inch thick layer of sponge. So now the bed is really comfortable. And like a car I don't think I could live without it.

    Dee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. That too sounds awfully like my workplace. Fortunately the people who I work alongside are terrific. The back has happened before and I know it is just time for it to heal. I did once go down the road of x rays and physiotherapy, but I don't think it helped. I just have to be more careful with putting any strain on it. I have bought things online, but I would not buy a bed online. Ours are quite new and we love them.

      Delete
  4. Because you have always worked, you didn't have to worry about money in a serious way. But if you give up work, it will be more than money that you will have to worry about.

    If your major contribution to world peace and productivity has been your job, how will you define yourself in retirement? Daytime tv? lunches with your old friends? more blogging? I would prepare carefully about full time retirement and in the meantime, perhaps reduce to 2.5 days of work per week for a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that is a really good point and it is something I have given thought too, but you never really how life will be until you do retire. I think it is interesting enough to make a blog post about, which I will write in the near future.

      Delete
  5. I wonder how many people the poster was approved by before it hit the press. Not enough 'Employee Development Days' I fear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to read you have a bad back, not nice at all and as you say painful.
    Husband retired early at aged 55 years, forced though it was because of a fall combined with bad arthritis. We managed rather well money wise. The hardest thing for my husband was that he felt guilty for not being at work, that lasted some years till he got over it.
    Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, and then there is the matter of the often said, I married you forever, but not for lunch. Thanks for the personal. Real situations help.

      Delete
  7. I was forced out of work because of my health and discovered I had been defining myself by what I did. It was a difficult adjustment for a time.
    Lots of the people I worked with were fine, but management made me grit my teeth and strive (mostly successfully) not to say unfortunate things.
    I am sorry about your back and hope it settles quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that you say it was a difficult adjustment pleases me. I am tired of hearing, 'the best thing I ever did was retire'. I'll save anymore to a blog post.

      Delete
  8. I retired without enough money, but it's been worth it. Yes, I'm broke, but no longer in a job I hated with a supervisor who caused me a lot of mental stress.
    I have a bad back too and here's some tips. When sitting, do not sit completely still the whole time. Every now and then, slouch a bit, then stretch up straight a bit, reach your arms to the ceiling, wiggle your butt a bit, that kind of wiggling little kids do when they need to wee but don't want to miss any of the playing. Stretch each leg in front of you in turn.
    When doing things that need bending, try squatting instead, easier on the back and good for the thighs too.
    If you normally sleep on your back, do it with a pillow under your knees, even a little raising takes strain from the back. "Bend Ze Knees" as the saying used to go.
    Try to keep your back loose with just tiny movements, it doesn't need to be obvious to others.
    I find a hot water bottle between my back and the chair pillow eases my pain. Give it a try. Always remember to avoid sudden jerky movements. Easy does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. That all sounds sensible and I already do some of what you suggest. I rarely sit down for a lengthy period and even at work I do get up just to move and stretch.

      Delete
  9. I should add that if the shoe factory had stayed here in Australia, I would still be there, working hard and happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pity almost all of our shoe manufacturing is now based overseas.

      Delete
  10. I'm surprised you didn't go in and 'advise' them of their mistake Andrew, I would have been tempted, would have been interesting to see if they were bothered enough to do anything about it! Sorry to hear about your back, back pain makes everything so difficult. Do you have a good physio, mine is brilliant, magic hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it wasn't at the actual credit union, but surely someone there would pick it up. I have used a physio, but I am not at the moment. I know the exercises to do.

      Delete
  11. I'm probably falling for your trap that no previous commenter has been naive enough to respond to....but....I hope that

    I will be wathching your every word. You will make an error one day and I won't say mention it but I will feel some self satisffaction.

    was deliberate irony and not an unfortunately placed lapse in what otherwise appears to be a blemish free post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, Victor, I do have form for makes mistakes when I write about making mistakes. :-)

      Delete
  12. There is a lot of bullshit to navigate in our lives. Way too much in my opinion. Maybe your back is suffering from excess bullshit exposure, a work related illness (EBE).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like EBE, Strayer. I won't mention it to the upper echelons, but I will use it with workmates.

      Delete