Thursday, June 29, 2017

The start to the week

Sunday saw us travelling to Geelong to see Little Jo perform on stage. We went a little early and thought to spend some time on the waterfront but after ten minutes of being in a cold wind, we decided to go to the busy cafe early and get a table. Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo arrived in their new Renault Megane and it was a very pleasant lunch.

While Sister and Little Jo walked to the concert venue, Bone Doctor took us out for run in the new car, which was quite nice, although quite small. It was quite a bargain price, full of extras.

The show began quarter of an hour late but was ok enough, the highlight for me being Little Jo in a group singing Let's Go Fly a Kite, from Mary Poppins. There were a couple of children in the different age groups who really shone and may well have careers in showbusiness. Little Jo appeared in a fur jacket......why? Only later did I realise it was because she was an animal in the Lion King. Later she wore a giraffe's head. The performance was arranged by a private company who trains the children in dancing, singing and acting. There was a terrific short piece of acting from The Secret Garden, the boy in the wheelchair and his young girl friend.

3 hours in a car seat, 1 1/2 hours sitting for lunch, 1 hour watching the performance saw my back deteriorate from its healing condition and so, a visit to the doctor on Monday and two days off work.

The music the band master is reading is called the Geelong Polka.



Geelong High School is undergoing a huge renovation and no doubt expansion to cater for the expanding population. Some nice Art Deco.



So with not having to work on Tuesday, we took the opportunity to see Ex Sis in Law on the Mornington Peninsular and visit Tradie Brother in hospital. Hippie Niece is still in hospital and struggling, but her medication is beginning to have an effect and she is becoming more rational. While we were with Ex Sis and Law and her husband, Hippie Niece called her mother four times, the first couple of times in some distress, begging her mother to come and get her out of hospital. She is there voluntarily, and by the time we left she had calmed down and realised she had to stay, lest she jeopardise her future placement in the postnatal depression unit.

Care of the twin girls is being shared around. Their father usually has one of them and Ex Sis in Law, or her husband or Hippie Niece's care for the other. We were lucky because they were both there at Ex Sis in Laws and they were just beautiful. At one stage R had both of them while he was sitting, one in a arm and the other lying on top of him. As I type, he has just taken his jacket to the dry cleaners as the inevitable happened after he fed one with a bottle. At one point they were both on a rug on the floor and they kept stretching their hands out to touch each other. So cute.

After a couple of hours and some lunch, we set off to the hospital to see Tradie Brother, who had just been disconnected from most tubes, except for feeding and liquid tubes. He was in good spirits and looked really well. 

21 comments:

  1. Andrew I love British soldiers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, they are great.

      Delete
  2. It must be awful to suffer post natal depression. Hopefully your niece will be back to full health, or at least reasonable health, soon and reunited with her two beautiful babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, so do we. I came across a photo from last year with R and it is heartbreaking to see such a bright and attractive woman utterly fall apart.

      Delete
  3. Apart from the deterioration of your back (which I hope is feeling much, much better now) this was a really encouraging post to read.
    I hope that Hippy Niece continues to get the support she needs. And would have loved to have seen R with both babes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, my back is much better, thanks. I have learn she used to be on antidepressants but no longer takes them. Well, she is again now.

      Delete
  4. I love reading about your weekend/leisure time.
    Xcept 4 the bad back part.
    I am giving The Uncles a gold star each for above & beyond the call of duty.
    Somewhere on Twitter there is NightCam film of twins helping each other escape from their cribs. fascinating.
    Best wishes for the mum to be well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, yes, this is the worst back problem I have ever experienced. It will come good....until the next time. I will look for that clip of the twins. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Love the bollards, don't love diseases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I remember last time I showed photos of the bollards, I think you had not long before taken your grandchildren to see them. They are just so cool.

      Delete
  6. So sweet to hear about the babies reaching for each other. Good to hear Hippie Niece is improving too and Tradie Brother. Go easy on your back for a while. I'm sitting with a hot water bottle myself after another long search for Angel. Two neighbours thought they saw him, but when I searched where they said there was no sign. But perhaps he is still within the complex and will find his way home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I can cope with temporary back pain but I don't know what I would do if it was permanent. I am down to checking your blog only twice a day for some good news.

      Delete
    2. I'll post good news when I have it, but I'm not going to post day after day of woe is me stuff. I call my back pain temporary, because it comes and goes, but it's been going on since 1986.

      Delete
  7. There's nothing like a good polka in the park! The twins sound adorable Andrew, I can tell yourself and R are already smitten ☺ Take care of your back, there's nothing worse than an aching back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I can't seem to find a recording of it by anyone. I would like to hear it, and probably not like it. I am not a great one for babies, but they are truly lovely.

      Delete
  8. I hope all is well again with your back. It sounds like you had a good weekend, though. And I'm glad read that your brother is doing well, too.

    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, getting better, thanks.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to see multiple family members in hospital at same time. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, slowly things are coming good.

      Delete
  10. I forgot what is wrong with Tradie Brother. Hippie Niece, I wish her the best. The twins sound darling! My knee is a mess but my back is ok. Hope yours is ok too by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, he had a ulcer, upper intestine. He is home now. Getting older is not fun at times.

      Delete