Sunday, June 25, 2017

Sunday Selections

Joining in with River for Sunday Selections. I have a bit of a backlog of photos and some of these date back to summer. I have a feeling I may have used some of these before. If so, sorry.

Lincoln Square in Carlton just outside of the CBD and near Melbourne University has recently had a makeover, rendering it skater proof. I used to hate the way kids would skate over and around this memorial to the 2002 Bali bombing victims. 


Note skate board proofing.


A glorious elm tree (and maybe a Moreton Bay fig) with the memorial fountain in the foreground.




202 people were killed, 91 of them Australians. There are pinprick lights embedded in the fountain paving, one for every Australian killed.


See how you go on your skateboards here, lads.


Checking emails in peace?


Moreton Bay Fig.


Nicely designed.


What do we want? Grass. Where do we want it? Everywhere.


Did I deliberately frame this shot like this? I can't remember.


There has always been signage there but the skaters never took any notice.


It really did look its best when I visited.


So many tall buildings.


Across the road from The Highrise, Shannon Bennett's Cafe Vue folded and the premises has been empty for some time. A notice for liquor licence for a a Benny Burger restaurant went up, but nothing has happened. In the meantime a Benny Burger has been opened by Shannon Bennett in Richmond.


Meanwhile at the former Albert Park Manor, which has been redeveloped into apartments, no one has taken up the ground level lease for a cafe or restaurant.


This facade faces away from us, but we have seen the rear gutted and completely rebuilt. It seems to have taken years and it is still not finished. I will show it when it is completed.


A really nice and well cared for block of flats. I can't remember where it was now, perhaps South Yarra.



18 comments:

  1. Andrew I love tall buildings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, some can be very attractive, some not.

      Delete
  2. The 'country cousin' in me loves the green in the middle of the city. Tall buildings worry me a bit. It isn't heights that bother me though. I can't cope with being on the bottom floors of them. A form of claustrophobia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, while not green like your city, we do have a lot of large parks. Interesting about your dislike of the base of buildings. I can see where you are coming from.

      Delete
  3. I like to live on the ground so I'm not fond of tall buildings.A skater proof park now thats a improvement.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I understand highrise living is not for everyone, but many are changing their minds now.

      Delete
  4. A lovely mix of photos Andrew; with plenty of greenery to balance the man made structures. That final block of flats is nice to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. I bet those final flats are really nice inside with very large rooms.

      Delete
  5. Good collection. Don't think I would have seen that sign if I was going to skate through that area.
    Hate to see empty buildings, let's hope someone does something before it looks dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, there was more than one sign and skating through is one thing, but they would hang around and at times drink.

      Delete
  6. Skating in the memorial park is in my view disrespectful. I'm glad barriers were put in place to deter the skaters.
    Nice views of the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami, while there are council bylaws to deal with skateboarders, they were never enforced and instead, huge amounts of money were spent to make the area skateboarding too difficult.

      Delete
  7. Love the random photos and nice architecture too. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super diverse series of Sunday shots Andrew. Glad they've sorted the skaters out, did you and R see the Bali memorial in Kings Park when you were here? Love the flats in last shot, slight touch of Deco?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am sure we did see the memorial in Kings Park, but I would have to check photos etc to remember it. (I just did, and yes)

      Delete
  9. The block flats in the last photo are very attractive. Skaters here too have little regard for anything, but maybe smoking weed and disgust for anybody but themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it truly is a lovely block. That was perhaps the best period here for flat construction, large rooms and modern at the time. Weed and skaters is ok. They may lose control, break a limb and bugger off for a while.

      Delete