Saturday, June 10, 2017

Life goes on

Since we have been back from our holidays we have had Mother stay for four nights. Little Jo stayed for one night. Now ABI Brother who is to fly off Alice Springs early in the morning is staying tonight. He will stay another night when he returns.  Aside from Mother, the other two are no problem for me, but R is getting a bit fed with being chief cook and bottle washer at Hotel Highrise. Each visitor needs a change of bedding, meals cooked for them and god forbid he should be thought of as a bad host. He will get over it. Mother staying tipped him over the edge.

Updating the air conditioner evaporation tray, we left a phone message at the company our electrician suggested. They called back the next day. $850 for a new one!!! Barley Charlie. The person on the phone said, don't worry about it. They don't make water in the winter and may not make enough in summer to worry about. Oh yes they do. With a soft plastic squeeze bottle, I have extracted 7 litres of water over the last week and the tray is not empty. Admittedly, most of that was produced on one day.

Do you remember these?


Yes, a kerosene heater. R bought his Elwood flat in 1979 and it had an open fireplace. Soon after we met. While there were romantic nights in with an open fire, for basic heating he used a kerosene heater. It stank badly and smoked when first lit. It made us sleepy as it burned the oxygen from the air, but they certainly did heat us well enough. It wasn't too long before he had a gas fired heater installed in the fireplace. The kero heater would be filled from a kerosene container by a hand pump. That is exactly what I needed to pump our the air con tray, but alas, they seem to be no longer available. We went to the big green hardware shed and ended up buying a siphon tube for $10 which turned out to be a total waste of money, as I thought. Oh well, only $5 each wasted. Siphoning on the same level was never going to work. I did get a mouthful of tray water, so I may come down with some terrible disease tomorrow, but then a mouth full of siphoned petrol never did me harm. Just in case, don't kiss me passionately until about Wednesday, when the bacteria incubation period will have passed. 

As I said, the squeeze bottle does the job well enough. We also bought an electric wire ending little thingie, six in a pack, so I removed the tape from the live wire in the tray electric box and made it a permanent and safe ending. I have now have five spare of these. Life will be good if I never have to use them.

Has James bought a cyclamen for his balcony yet? We did at the big green hardware shed, a pink one. Speaking of flowers, when we returned home at our door was left a bunch of flowers. K & J, R's sister and bro in law, sent us this lovely bunch of flowers in thanks for the holiday. So kind and the holiday would not been nearly as good without their company.


16 comments:

  1. I own two modern Chinese kerosene heaters. They work extremely well (as a back-up). My only problem with them is the smell when you turn them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, so you can still buy them. I haven't seen them here for years and may have been declared illegal.

      Delete
  2. I love your flowers with yellow ribbon. Have a great Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes the ribbon sets them off well.

      Delete
  3. Love the flowers and really hope you don't come down with an unspeakable disease.
    I am with R about house guests. They are a lot of work and some of them work that I resent...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, some guests are no problem. Mother wasn't one of them.

      Delete
  4. The flowers look beautiful.
    Remember having a kerosene heater at home here for early mornings only and what a stink! Don't know how we every put up with that, oh anything to keep warm at 5am on a winter's morning before heading off to the hospital.

    We don't have your problem if you can call it one with the ducted heating.

    Love cyclamen but never will it grow after it's finished flowering for us, some people are just clever in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cyclamens like cooler conditions, so try planting them out (after flowering)in a shady, under trees area, with dappled sunlight. An area loamy with leaf mulch would work I think.

      Delete
  5. I thought kerosene heaters were illegal now too, but recently saw them advertised in a hardware store magazine. I remember having one when we were younger and we kids got very good at refilling the bottle then turning it upside down to install it, without spilling. We also knew how to light it and turn it off. I remember very well the day my brother showed us how he could somersault over the table and landed with his feet squarely on the burning hot grid. He had patterned feet for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, what a childhood you had! Aside from them causing fires when people were careless, I don't think they killed anyone. The thing with them was, they were very cheap heating.

      Delete
  6. Get one of those giant car washing sponges to soak up the water in the tray, squeeze it out into a bucket and flush it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, just brilliant. I had forgotten about those monster sponges. They would take up almost a litre of water when dry.

      Delete
  7. Don't kiss you passionately until about Wednesday?????? Hahahahahahahahaha .... that's what Mum said she wouldn't be doing to me for about six weeks ..... well she didn't say passionately but she said she wouldn't be kissing me for a long time. I found a dead possum on our walk and picked it up and tossed it around for a bit before she could get it from me. I bet my germs are much worse than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, and you reckon we humans are funny with helium beer. Tossing a dead possum around using your mouth doesn't sound like fun to me. You deserve no kissies for a time.

      Delete
  8. Goodness I haven't seen a kerosene heater for such a long time Andrew! That little beauty looks so retro 😀 Flowers to say thank you are always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the flowers were such a nice surprise. It is good to get nice surprises. Most aren't.

      Delete