Sunday, June 18, 2017

Family in Brief

Hippie Niece put us off visiting last Tuesday. Fair enough. The twinnies weren't too well and she was very busy and it was her partner's first day back at work. We still haven't seen the twin girls since a day or two after they were born. We tried again today, Saturday. She did not answer R's text for a few hours and then rang. She sounded stressed and unwell. She was at her mother's, Ex Sis in Law, and going to sleep while Gran looked after them. Her partner is back at work and he too is quite stressed. I am not sure how postnatal depression manifests itself, or how different that is to struggling to cope, but I think she is at least struggling a bit. Dealing with twins surely must mean being organised, discipline and routine. The absolute antithesis to Hippie Niece.

She said, come anyway to Mum's and see them and spend time with Mum, but it was getting late in the day and ABI Brother is arriving this evening to stay the night after his Alice Springs based holiday. Plus I have to work tomorrow. We had already declined the invitation to celebrate the Brother Friends' birthday at an Asian restaurant in the outer suburbs.

Mother has been harping on about, 'if there is any money left over from the electrical work, could I have this, this and this.........',  like a new washing machine. No Mother, there isn't any money left over. As you may remember, the price came in under the quote.  I refunded the overpayment to ABI Brother. Tradie Brother's overpayment went towards what he owed me for Mother's private health insurance. Sister via Bone Doctor only paid her share after I paid.

Speaking of Sister, her car was 17 years old, the same age as our old car. Our Hyundai Lantra has travelled about 140,000 kilometres. Sister's Ford Laser has travelled about 320,000 kilometres. When they were in France last year, they drove a hired Renault Megane and liked it. So, she has bought a new Renault Megane. The lease/pay on Bone Doctor's monstrous 4wd has expired and I assume they now own the vehicle, so the lease was transferred to Sister's new car. Sister was having lunch in a cafe when I spoke to her, so it was a brief conversation. Later I sms'd Bone Doctor to ask the details of the new car so that we could look at it online. She has not replied hours later. Bone Doctor in the past said, don't sms your sister, sms me and I will always see the sms straight away and reply. I can only assume Bone Doctor hates us at the moment. I will fix her. I will call her on the telephone.

Later: Bone Doctor tried to send me a photo of the new car, but clearly it failed to send. So, she doesn't hate us. I spoke to her on the telephone. Next Sunday we will join them for lunch in a rather nice cafe and then see Little Jo perform on stage. Same time last year, Little Jo was in Alice in Wonderland and we saw her perform and lunched at the same cafe.

The telephone call to Bone Doctor was interrupted by Mother. Can you call me when ABI Son arrives safely at your place? I am worried about him flying in an aeroplane. I am so sick and in pain and my bowels........... Bye Mother.

OMG, to use young person's parlance. ABI Brother arrived at The Highrise at 10.45. He told us that Firefighting Nephew's Mother in Law to be was on the same tour with him.




18 comments:

  1. Your family is lovely. Definitely taking care of twinnies is a challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that lovely, Gosia.

      Delete
  2. Looking after twins would be overwhelming I imagine. I can remember visiting a very organised friend after the birth of her first baby. Her world had turned - and she told me she considered it a good day if she had cleaned her teeth by the time her husband got home from work.
    Glad that Bone Doctor doesn't hate you. And unsurprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, interesting anecdote. Part of the problem is their sleep is not synchronized. One will be awake and the other will be asleep. I think quickly developing routines is important. I am so good at the theory!!!

      Delete
  3. I feel for your niece. It must be a very difficult time for her and for her husband with two little babies to look after...to get used to etc. It would be overwhelming, stressful and exhausting. I hope she catches her breath soon...and is able to relax a little.

    Families...you sure seem to have your time filled with many things at the moment. It all sounds very hectic and demanding...I guess that can happen at times when you're surrounded by family who care.

    I have no family left...just me and my two furry mates; and they boss me around! :)

    Have a good week, Andrew! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Lee, perhaps your ex with whom you are on cordial terms could be considered family. Friends can be family too, and I never underrate my blog family. Although I mentioned about Hippie Niece doing well with breastfeeding in a comment on your blog, it seems she is having difficulties and may soon change them to formula. Oh well, she gave them a good start.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about Hippie Niece, she's probably over tired from when the twins weren't well and now needs a bit of mothering herself. It's tough enough getting used to one baby at a time.
    How cheeky of mother to be asking for things so soon after the house reno.
    Little Jo is performing again? Will you e able to take photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. Oh yes, Mother does have some gall. It is a public space and I WILL take photos, but I won't put any on FB.

      Delete
  5. Having two babies, oh brother, that would be tough especially the first year. She'll get into a routine, lets hope, and find those competent to help. Your mother, oh my, never stops. New washing machine. And her bowels so boggled......do you ever get peace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yes, we get peace by not answering the phone when she calls.

      Delete
  6. Hope your niece is alright - it's a big responsibility looking and caring for one child let alone two same age - some women do it easily others not for many reasons.
    Your mother must think money grows on trees :)
    At times I'm pleased I don't have any brothers and sisters - there is only me. Sons are ok along with their wives and their little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, no, she thinks money grows on trees. There is good and bad about having brothers and a sister.

      Delete
  7. I think it would be pretty exhausting looking after two bubs Andrew, it's hard enough with one, especially if they're not well and mums not getting any sleep! I still say you're lucky to have mum with you ☺ good luck Little Jo, break a leg! That's good luck I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I think sleep deprivation is her real problem. She has always been a good sleeper. Fortunately the girls sleep well enough too, just not at the same time. I am not sure what the performance is this year. You are correct about breaking a leg.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous3:58 am

    Greetings Andrew from Canada. Your post reminds me of the Loud (1973) and Wilkins (1974) families on PBS and the BBC but much superior. As to your mum, look at the blog entry for February 10, 2005, over twelve years ago. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roderick, I don't know either of those shows. I don't think they were shown here. Thanks for the pointer back to a very old post, which is both embarrassing and illuminating.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:34 pm

      Andrew, never heard of Lance Loud? Look him up on Wikipedia and see why he is important for gay lib. And you were right in 2005 - your mum is long lived despite her bowels. Roderick

      Delete
    3. It is rare that I am totally ignorant about anything, but this time I confess I have absolutely no knowledge of Lance Loud. While I now know the basics, I will look at more in time.

      Delete