Monday, June 12, 2017

Europe 17 Day 19

Another day at sea. I am finding these days a bit boring. There are plenty of activities on the ship to indulge in but I can't get motivated to do any. I missed the planet identification gazing at 11.30. Instead I read my Kindle endlessly on the smoking deck while K & J came and went and I have chats with people. R comes and goes. At times I order coffee, at times I order a drink. I am bored with both coffee and alcohol. Watching people and the sea no longer excites me. I want to be home, with family and friends and my internet friends, and my own shower and bed.

Bingo, yes, actually bingo. I half heartedly mentioned that bingo was happening in the afternoon. What fun we had. J won first round, which covered the cost for us all. There were no more winnings, but it was such fun.

Here are some ship photos. I can't remember this show.


The poolside screen was amazing. It wa bright and clear in full daylight.


Walk on glass above a lower deck.



K &  J attended the Captain''s welcome in their finery of a dinner suit and a long evening dress. They got bored as the champers was taking so long to fill and joined us on the smoking deck. We knew they would come up to there soon enough.



These lasses played classical music around the ship each night, but this night in the smaller venue, they performed in glam costumes. Strings on Fire were terrific.



Imposing beast, was our ship and excuse the French, a big bugger.




I'll have the pork thanks, but from the hindquarters.


Again in the smaller venue, this group were very entertaining.


We are off the coast of somewhere.


Just one last drink on my own before bed. I did that a few times and got sucked into seeing the end of some very badly made movies.


Our cabin stateroom was just above the orange tenders/lifeboats.


I think this guy's name was Joe and he was Australian. Entertainers were masters of all trades and also had duties of getting us off and on the ship and hosting other things.


20 comments:

  1. Longing for my own shower, bed (and pillow)is very familiar.
    How I wish I could have a tardis...
    That poolside screen is incredibly clear. I have never played Bingo - or even been somewhere it is being played.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, bingo hosts make the game. You don't want someone simply reading out numbers.

      Delete
  2. You missed home :)
    Can't imagine me being on a ship for a cruise for days. Some people love it and some don't from what I've read and been told.
    Love the 'paint' design on the ship and it is a big one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes I did. As I have said, I found the days at sea a bit hard going.

      Delete
  3. Andrew, I expect psychologists have a technical term for that feeling of wanting to get home which, in my experience, frequently kicks in somewhere towards the end of a holiday. I wonder if it isn't a kind of anxiety-induced anxiety-preventing feedback loop - a bit like the sense of an ending when you know a film or a book is approaching its close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, that seems like a good explanation to me. I was thinking about getting home and the logistics of it, and looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Mum's with you Andrew. She reckons that cruising stuff is for the birds. Like being in a super luxury hotel but with nowhere to go. But then she never wants to go on holidays and when she does she wants to come home after a few days. That's probably because she misses me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, one thing for sure, I would not want to sail in a cruise ship for days on end and only see the sea. You may be right about being missed.

      Delete
  5. Your ship looks fantastic.

    But I believe the purpose of a luxury cruise is to spend days enjoying guided (or unguided) tours on the islands or in ports. The eating, boozing, music, dancing and films are only to fill the nights with fun and frivolity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, experienced cruisers say it was the best cruise on the best ship they had taken, if that is to go by. It was fun visiting each place, all so different and each with their own oddities and challenges.

      Delete
  6. These ships get bigger and bigger. My youngest son always takes one from Oz to Singapore when he returns to Europe. Not the sort of thing that many would do with two very small children, but he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting Cro. Shortish journey with family on a ship. I get that.

      Delete
  7. I.think each trip can be boring but i think two days.on the sea for.mr.is.enough home sweet home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, as I said, it was me, not what the ship provided. There was plenty to do on days at sea.

      Delete
  8. I was wondering if anyone ever got bored on long cruises. I suspect I would, so I'd make sure my kindle was well stocked with books. Reading takes care of boredom for me. I could watch the ocean for quite a while too.
    I'm glad you had decent entertainers on board. did you get lost at any time on the ship? It's so huge, I'd have to carry a map to see where I was going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the first thing we received was a ship map. Yes, we got lost in the early days. Some decks you could get through from one end to the other, others you could not. We all got lost at times but I won't focus on it now as I already forgotten the ship layout and decks.

      Delete
  9. Longing for my own bed or home on a cruise never happened to me, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have cruised Gattina?

      Delete
  10. It sounds like you were too busy to be bored Andrew! I can tell you honestly I would absolutely definitely have been bored and as big as the cruisers are I know I would be claustrophobic! Not sure why but marvelous always looks more right to me marvellous looks odd.. both right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I close to being bored. Now if I had an internet connection....... Interesting about marvellous. It is the opposite for me.

      Delete