Saturday, June 10, 2017

Europe 17 Day 18

I woke just as the first light of dawn was appearing. I peered out into the gloom and thought, wtf? There is snow on those hills. I don't recall any mention of snow on our tour. This photo was taken a little later.


I had heard of Santorini and now my memory was jogged. It was featured as a monthly photo in an old calendar, many years ago. It was still quite dark when I took these photos.


There are three ways to get up to the township, the first unthinkable, walking. Or you can use a donkey. Our chosen method was the chairlift.

The wharf.



Our conveyance arrives. A foundation was set up and funded in 1979 by a Greek shipping magnate, no not that 'O' one, and the profits go to the fourteen villages on the island for emergency plane medical evacuation for local residents. In addition, some money also goes to the donkey owners for loss of trade when the chairlift opened.


Burro, ass, donkey, mule. Who knows what they are, but apparently they are strong and sure footed.



We can't have Santorini falling into the sea.


That would be our ship, way down there.


I  hope those cables are strong.



Doesn't it look terrific.


More innovative lighting where we lunched at AB FAB cafe, and very pleasant it was too.






Still and deep waters.


Time for a drink before we head back to the ship.



R insisted we have a swim in the ship's pool. I put my swimming shorts on and.......damn, no pockets. Yeah, I suppose it is probably not a good idea to have pockets in swimming shorts. Ten minutes later R proved the point. He jumped in the pool and immediately shot out again and extracted his wet phone from his swimming shorts pocket. Luckily being water resistant, it was ok.

21 comments:

  1. Wow. Incredible views.
    I suspect I would have opted for a donkey ride. And then felt guilty for burdening the animal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, our second most surprising place. The most surprising and that which left us gobsmacked is yet to come. The donkeys pong badly. Rethink that one.

      Delete
  2. Yes , it DOES look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it will remain in my memory forever.

      Delete
  3. Way up high for sure.
    Nothing like some of the photos of Santorini I've seen, it's refreshing to see yours how the place really is - thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, ok. I should look at photos of Santorini to see what you mean. Even the name is nice.

      Delete
  4. I love those rocky Greek islands. Wherever it's reasonably flat there's a village, where it's not there are Donkeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, no doubt you have experienced them all. Santorini was a bit special in some way for us.

      Delete
  5. That zig-zag path, is that the walking/donkey trail? Is it more than a mile up? I wouldn't mind attempting that as long as I had no time limits.
    The bright red window frames of the Chinese restaurant? really stand out amongst all that white. I love the 12th picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, that is where you walk up or the donkeys take you up. I would guess maybe 500 metres up. I rather like my 12th photo too.

      Delete
    2. I have just checked, 400 metres.

      Delete
    3. 400 metres? A walk in the park (*~*)

      Delete
    4. On your way then, hon.

      Delete
  6. Must have been a special experience, and oh what lovely photos, magnificent views all around. Greetings and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blogorattie. Santorini was a surprise and quite terrific.

      Delete
  7. Andrew it is a wonderful place I like go there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, not too far for you to travel.

      Delete
  8. Santorini looks wonderful Andrew but oh how I wish you had taken the donkey option to get there.. would have made such a great photo opportunity, I would have loved to see that 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, when I heard that they smell, that put me off.

      Delete
  9. We had been there on a cruise in 2005 ! I think we did nearly the same places as you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, pre your blogging time, I guess. What a pity.

      Delete