Friday, June 09, 2017

Europe 17 Day 17

Everyone has heard of Mykonos. I expect to not like it so much as it is so well known and very popular, but it was a lovely spot, if hilly. I felt old when my Nana Mouskouri reference fell flat. Remember? Star of Mykonos? It's a bad joke when it has to be explained.





We used the ship tenders to get ashore and then it was a five minute bus ride to the substantial village.




These holes are to break up large waves.



Lots of blue and white with numerous places of worship.


Up above the town were a number of windmills, now privately owned. You can just see the blades, I think.


All over town is this deceptive paving. I believe white paint is used to make it look like stones. The painting is a constant task and done by volunteers.


I suppose deliveries have to be made, but these tiny vehicles that at times caused shopkeepers to move their street stock a bit, were a curse.



We popped into a gallery. "Just looking thanks, mate." His expression did not change. In fact he did not move at all, being a life sized sculpted figure.


Is this lad upset about something? Caught again. Another sculpture.


It was busy on the sea front but still we found somewhere for lunch.


Another very white church.


Interesting plant. No idea what it is.


There are many cats in Mykonos, quite unafraid of humans.



A clever light fitting, I thought.


No thank you. I'll stay inside, if it's all the same.


We stuck to the village itself and managed to get lost and had to ask directions back to the seafront. My suggested plan of always going downhill to reach the sea was ignored. We found ourselves walking on a busy main road without footpaths, with cars and buses dodging around us, so we headed back into the twisting village streets and were once again lost amid shops and cafes. It was like being lost in a maze. We knew we would find our way out eventually.

As the ship departed, the moon shone brightly over Mykonos.


14 comments:

  1. The blue and white is incredibly pretty - and sets off the bougainvillea well.
    I like the 'fake' pavers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you can understand the friction between expats coming to live in such places and who want to rebell against the prescribed colour schemes.

      Delete
    2. I too love the typical blue and white Greek Island architecture, but I had no idea the white was a constant renovation task. Admittedly our ship didn't stop in Mykonos.

      Delete
    3. Hels, the white was in perfect condition, wherever we walked. It is obviously taken seriously.

      Delete
  2. The white looks so nice against the blue.
    Those streets are very narrow by the look of your photos.
    Nana Mouskouri - love her singing, she sings like an Angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I did think of including the music clip. Maybe I should have.

      Delete
  3. Crikey Andrew .... I've missed so much of your trip. This post has me wanting more. I can see Mum has some bedside reading to do. I'd like to go to that Mykonos joint. Seems I could have a whole heap of fun chasing those cat blokes, aye??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, from something a friend said, the safety of cats in Greece is important. Btw, I saw one of your kind somewhere, maybe Barcelona. Dead ringer for you.

      Delete
  4. The famous blue and white shines through your photos. Getting lost is supposed to be the best way to see a town.."l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, while I agree with you, getting lost stresses me. I like to be in control!!!

      Delete
  5. Mykonos looks interesting and probably better with more time to explore. I love that odd light fitting and the Cats of Greece t-shirt.
    My dad loved Nana Mouskouri and I had to listen to his one record every week in the winter. In summer I escaped to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it was a place where you could spend more time. Maybe it was just as well that I did not put up the You Tube Nana clip. I don't want to rekindle bad memories for you.

      Delete
  6. The white buildings against the blue sky are just spectacular. What a very pretty part of the world you are visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, yes, even the sky cooperated by being picture blue.

      Delete