Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Europe 17 Day 15

The day after visiting Livorno/Pisa was a day at sea as we sailed down the west coast of Italy and between Sicily and the mainland to Katakolon, Greece. Here are few ship photos and a map of our cruise route. The blue dots are where we visited. Sorry for my bad handwriting. I so seldom write by hand now. How do you join letters up?


Making waves at the side of the ship.


While I am not great with port or starboard, I know this is the ship's stern but on board it was called aft.


I don't know if there was an ice sculpture every night. This is of course the Eiffel Tower, brought out when we were in Marseille. There was at least one other I remember.


There weren't many children on the ship and most of the playground equipment seemed to be locked away. We spent a lot of time on the rear smoking deck with K & J and this giraffe watched over us. Unlike most other areas on the ship, the smoking deck was very sociable.


A pilot boarded every time we arrived or departed somewhere.


Mixing the waters with our propellers. Could the water be any more blue?


The ship theatre held about 1500 people. We saw three shows there. As we were returning from a show one evening, a fountain display was underway with the water jets in time to a selection of Michael Jackson music. Great fun. There will be more ship photos in future posts.

26 comments:

  1. Wow I love he giraffe. Ice sculpture looks fantastic,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I wonder if they just freeze the ice sculpture until the next cruise?

      Delete
  2. Port is left. And has the same number of letters.
    Love the ice sculpture and that blue, blue water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that might stick in my head. The number of times I have checked which is which and then forgotten is huge.

      Delete
  3. Great photos, must have been a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogoratti, it was indeed, thanks.

      Delete
  4. I hope you ran into Zorba and asked him to teach you to how to dance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, you have just reminded me. There was an amateur Zorba performance on the ship. It was very funny.

      Delete
  5. Ship board life is fantastic, except for those who get sea sick at the sight of a bucket of water. In my next life, I will marry a different, more maritime spouse.

    Your ship looks super, meals/cinemas/music sound good and the ports usually have great tours arranged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the tours are good, but so expensive. I like to pay a higher price and just have everything included, but that is not the way cruising is heading. There are all sorts of things for sea sickness now. I heard some get shots, even though they are not seasick. Preventative, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. What a huge ship, sounds like a place to do what you like, whether relaxing or being entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, I did get through a lot of reading on my Kindle. The thing was motivation. It was so easy to sit around and do nothing and not get involved in the activities. Thanks for you comment.

      Delete
  7. Water looks so blue..Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Dora, so so blue.

      Delete
  8. That water is ever so blue and a pretty colour.
    The tower looks good - 'one thing you remember', couldn't you remember a lot from that trip?
    Thanks for the map - certainly good to see where you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Margaret. I put that badly. The tower, no matter how old, was just port infrastructure and I really didn't take much notice of what was coming from the mouth of the tour guide. There was at least one more ice sculpture I remember, a beer stein and something else to celebrate something about Bavaria.

      Delete
  9. i love the photos, the blue of the water is amazing. The light show looks good too. Don't be too worried about your handwriting, it's legible, and good to see a map of where you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, I really like maps. R asked me to draw before we left, but I had some things wrong, and so I redid it for this post.

      Delete
  10. Wow ! what a beautiful cruise along my "homeland" Italy, I am also Italian by marriage, lol !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I prefer your old country, Germany, to Italy, but it was good to see a little of Italy.

      Delete
  11. it all looks like great fun and a big change of scenery - which is what holidays have to be. Thank for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. Always good to hear an approving comment from you.

      Delete
  12. Good times Andrew.. next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the next is there, Grace.

      Delete
  13. There's always something interesting happening on a cruise ship. I like the ice sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami, I remember another one for a Bavarian themed night, a beer bottle and a beer stein.

      Delete