Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Europe 17 Day 14

My goodness, they breed big seagulls in Europe.


We are in the port of Livorno. This port tower is very old, very very old, like hundreds of years. The angle is my doing. It is straight, unlike the building we are about to see.


This was the only ship organised tour we took. We were collected by coaches and driven for about half an hour to a monstrous coach parking area. From there we walked a good 15 minutes to our destination. I admired greatly those with walking sticks and those who clearly some physical difficulties with walking. They just got on with it without complaint. It was written that it was a medium fitness level tour.


Well, here we are, through this gate.


Can you see why we are here? Look to background of the photo. In the foreground is the Baptistery with the cathedral mid photo.


Yep, the Leaning Tower of Pisa.


The other side of the gate.


I took photos of people being photographed holding up the tower. There were everywhere. The Leaning Tower of Pisa is such an attraction. I first heard about it as a child and I was quite chuffed to see it and it was on R's must see list.


Tilting your camera and from a certain angle, you can make the tower almost look straight. The soil where it is built is soft. Not only does the tower lean, so do other nearby buildings. If you put a measure on the building shape, you will see it curved like a banana. As it was being built, it started to sink on one side, and corrective action was taken by altering its geometry.


You can climb stairs to the top of the tower. We didn't.


We left through this gate and were warned about gypsies approaching us. They didn't. But the very black umbrella and sunglass salesmen did. Some people among us did buy from them.



Before we left  R bought tickets at no cost to see the church there. Unfortunately the time was after our rendezvous time to return to the ship.



Is this something about Romulus and Remus? 


Without exception, we saw police and/or the army on the streets wherever we visited for the entire holiday, except in Dubai.


Yep hon, keep the tower standing.





A serious gate, with a creature guarding.


We wandered off into the village. K & J did not join us for this tour but stayed around the port of Livorno and discovered that a taxi could have taken the four of us to Pisa for much less than our tour and get right to it, so no long walking. Lesson noted.




While I had maintained my sense of direction, it seemed we had wandered a long way and it was slightly panicky to get back to the rendezvous point.


Walking back to the coach park. After a cool and cloudy start, the sun had come out and it was hot and I was without mon chapeau. Once again I admired the stamina of the elderly and infirm. No idea why there are aeroplanes here.

19 comments:

  1. Wow. Lots to see and marvel at.
    Definitely Romulus and Remulus.
    I liked the golden horse-drawn carriage too.
    I really enjoyed travelling with you, and hope that your poor hatless head didn't suffer too badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, thanks about Romulus and Remulus. My bad spelling. I was ok that day, but another day I got a bit burnt through my hat.

      Delete
  2. I have never been to italy and it is a dream of mine to go......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I've never had a desire to see Italy. It is so busy with tourists which really puts me off.

      Delete
  3. Aeroplanes do not need a reason to be wherever they are.. :) I imagine it is kind of like those ones they put on poles at the entrances of various Australian towns. Wagga has one, as does Tamworth and now so does Albion Park just outside of HARS.. Nowra has a helicopter on a pole. I will have to see if I can dig out some pics of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, maybe that is a plan for them, but they just looked like they were dumped where they were.

      Delete
  4. Great photos Andrew. The history and architecture is just fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying your holiday away.
    Leaning tower, I wouldn't climb to the top either, because I wouldn't be able to :)
    Interesting the army and police were about - did that give you a better sense of security?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we could have climbed it if we had to, but why exhaust ourselves. Yes, especially when we so often saw the police patrolling. Nothing is as good as visible policing.

      Delete
  6. On Photo #2 it reminds me of "Rumpelstilskin"
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, not sure in what way it reminds you of the story.

      Delete
  7. You certainly did take a lot of photos during your holiday...and it is a way of lengthening the enjoyment...for you and for us the readers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, about 1300 photos, culled down to about 1,000 (badly out of focus or just 'why did I take that'?) It does implant the holiday better in my head as I see the photos and write.

      Delete
  8. I've seen the leaning tower on TV and in movies, books etc, so I'm a bit "meh" about it, but probably wouldn't mind seeing it in person one day. I really like that serious gate though. Attach it to a serious fence and you've really got something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I won't say it was spiritual to see the tower for real, but I am glad we did. It is something I remember so strongly from childhood.

      Delete
  9. it has not fallen so it must be finally settled on something solid beneath. I wonder has the angle of its lean increased over time. How many people on your crusie? As passengers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it continued to lean more and more and eventually action was taken but initially unsuccessful. It took British engineer to stop it going further and actually bring it back towards vertical somewhat. 3,500 on the cruise plus 1500 crew.

      Delete
  10. Seeing as I don't intend to travel by air further than Sydney from now on I'm very much enjoying your travels Andrew.. the leaning tower of Pisa was interesting, bit of a shame you didn't climb it to get the views ☺ So where are we off to next?

    ReplyDelete