Saturday, June 03, 2017

Europe 17 Day 11 Pt 2 Day 12

Another first for me, the Mediterranean Sea, more precisely, Balearic Sea.



Castle on a hilltop. Montjuic Castle, apparently.


Do you want to see the castle? Catch this chair lift.


Plenty of palm trees for Gosia.





Tram lines look much more attractive when laid with grass.


Not quite the Gherkin.








Bike riding seems to be taken seriously in Barcelona, with many streets having good car and bike separation. 




Not the most attractive pond at Placa de Gaudi, that is Gaudi Square.


R and his sister's 22 year old English great nephew is studying in Barcelona and that evening he caught up with us for a nice dinner and we learnt a little bit of inside knowledge about Barcelona. His mother had given him money to buy us drinks. We let him keep the money and paid for his dinner, the poor struggling student with the latest iPhone.

 It was a slow start to the next day as we packed up all our luggage and said farewell to Sensation Apartments. 


We caught a taxi to the port and seamlessly boarded the Royal Princess, through very tight security. I don't know what this old building near the port is. 


The backdrop to the port.



We set sail at 7pm, bound for Marseilles. We loved Barcelona. It was easy to get around, with most streets in a grid pattern. The people were generally warm and friendly. A good way to see what people of a certain city are like is how friendly they are among themselves, and Barcelonians seemed very friendly to each other, with the streets ringing out with ola, hello. It was hard for us to break the quickly developed habit once on the ship of using ola. Barcelona is part of autonomous region in Spain known as Catalonia. Catalan is spoken but Spanish is more widely used in Barcelona.

From a tourist perspective, Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona are great cities to visit. No doubt the weather being quite good helped our view of our times in those places. I would not want to be in any of these cities midsummer. 

12 comments:

  1. It does look delightful, and I really like the grass laid tram tracks. I wonder whether our local government will follow suit. And suspect not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am sure they won't follow suit. I think yours is going to be set in exposed concrete. Melbourne has stopped doing that now, and tops the concrete with more aesthetically pleasing asphalt.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, that odd shaped building does look similar to the Gherkin. I wonder which one came first. I'm starting to see around the world copy-cat buildings of our 'Shard' building.

    But I was saying to Ian last week that unless I missed a post by you before your travels, I didn't actually know what your travel itinerary was. Did you even tell us?
    So I'm now starting to wonder where your journeys will end and whether you made it back to our shores. Cant wait to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, yours opened 2004, Barcelona's 2005. It is said to be quite different close up. I did at some point publish where we were going. We had two nights Dubai, 4 nights Lisbon, 3 nights Porto, 4 nights Barcelona from where we began our 11 night cruise, ending in Rome and we flew home from there. So no, we didn't come to Britain this trip. I'll put a map up in a day or so of our cruise route.

      Delete
  3. I like that building with the blue and white tile decoration and I REALLY like the excellent car/bike separation. I don't ride anymore here, because the traffic is so fast and even staying in the left lanes means competing with buses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the variety of buildings there were extraordinary and I don't think I saw one boring glass tower at all. You are wise not to ride now. It is dangerous. I am not sure how wide spread these bicycle lanes are in Barcelona but they are very safe.

      Delete
  4. So I think I must visit Barcelona because I was only in the airport in 2103.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I guess you mean 2013. If you like London, I think you will like Barcelona.

      Delete
  5. Looks ok in your photos. Just do like the idea of green train lines :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, a very nice city indeed.

      Delete
  6. I visited Portugal and Spain mid summer - boy it was warm! Madrid was 45 the day we arrived. My goodness me it was sweltering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus bloody Christ. I couldn't cope with temperatures like that. We saw the two countries at a perfect time of the year.

      Delete