Thursday, June 01, 2017

Europe 17 Day 11 Pt 1

We did get busy the next day. We bought hop on hop off bus tickets again. There were two routes, one I think contracted out by the government and one owned by a private company. The private company route suited us best. It took us up to the northern part of the city then worked its way down to where the action is at La Rambla, where we left and then later picked it up again to head to the seaside then back to where we started.

The buildings and architecture were stunning and I reckon give Paris a run for its money. (Sorry Grace)








I was on the lookout for Hotel Fuster in the famous Passeig de Gracia, as written about by Hels. However, I missed it as I was thoroughly distracted by some remarkable buildings, such as this one.



And this street lamp.


And these buildings.


Spanish architecture often seems to grasp an element of whimsy.


We alighted from the bus at Placa de Catalunya.




And here we are, a street where I am sure every visitor to Barcelona sees it at least once, La Rambla.


It was a little weird walking on this paving. It looked uneven.


While it has wonderful buildings too, the street is mostly lined with well known world wide stores and a lot of tourists walking up and down.




We headed into the market and found a quiet courtyard at the back where we had lunch.




Hare in the centre of the display case.



Once back on the bus, we headed towards the seaside.

23 comments:

  1. Nearly 45 years since I visited Barcelona but I still recall its magnificence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, one thing I did not do before we travelled was much research on where we were going and what we would see, and so there were some tremendous surprises.

      Delete
  2. It looks delightful, though the ripple look of the pavement is disconcerting. Optical illusion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, just an optical illusion. I was soon used to it.

      Delete
  3. Passeig de Gracia and La Rambla remind me of the Champs-Elysées - wide, handsome and filled with amazing architecture. Royal Parade and St Kilda Rd are lovely, but they don't quite compare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I my opinion the Champs Elysees is too wide to really......I can't think how to explain it. Royal Parade and St Kilda Road are nice and had the Victorian buildings been retained, especially in St Kilda Road, would be much nicer.

      Delete
  4. I love the buildings and that colourful market. and the fancy street lamp too. What was that quirky building with the curves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it was, River. There were people up there looking around and taking photos.

      Delete
  5. Barcelona is a wonderful city, only spoilt by the huge amounts of pick-pockets and other eastern European scoundrels. Presumably you came out unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, I was on high alert, but we had no problems. I haven't watched this Youtube video yet, Pickpocket Huntress of Barcelona's Subways.

      Delete
  6. That footpath looks interesting with it's wavy look.
    Love the architecture, magnificent buildings.
    Flowers look welcoming and add warmth.
    Other items in the market look nicely presented - I presume the quality was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I am sure the market in such a prime location was expensive, but yes, the produce looked to be very high quality. We have a market like that here, Prahran Market.

      Delete
  7. It would be so easy to become distracted by those sights...enjoyably distracted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, for sure, welcome distraction.

      Delete
    2. And that's what the pickpockets look for. Distracted tourists. Glad you were lucky there.

      Delete
  8. Everything looks wonderful. Lucky you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. Our bank loves us too, for the interest on credit cards we will be paying.

      Delete
  9. The unusual building is La Casa Mila also know as La Pedrera( which I think means the snail). It is another of Guadi's buildings. Well worth a look inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. That was to be a weekend job, to find out what the building is. I am not surprised it is Gaudi's work.

      Delete
  10. I just heard somewhere on TV that Barcelona is the most visited town by tourists ! Far more than Paris !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that's interesting. I would not imagine that at all.

      Delete
  11. What beautiful buildings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, with no preconceptions, I was very pleasantly surprised.

      Delete