Sunday, June 11, 2017

Bow to Her Majesty

For ANZAC Day, Little Jo had changed our computer wallpaper to red poppies. The last time she was here she changed it again and as we tomorrow have a public holiday for our Queenies birthday, Little Jo has put up an appropriate wallpaper.


While it is not really her birthday, there seems a distinct lack of will in Australia to get rid of Queens birthday long weekend, with Monday off for many, not for me. I think the public holiday day we have was King George's birthday date.

I will miss our friend's Queen's birthday annual bash, which I regret but, that is why I will receive double time plus one half for working. That is, to compensate me for missed social gatherings.

Money comes and goes. Social gatherings become limited as you age. I would rather attend than have the money.

13 comments:

  1. Every public holiday can be problematic. Queen's birthday irritates Republicans, Cup Day is too Melbourne-focused, Australia Day is read as anti Aboriginal, Guy Fawkes night is illegal now and young people don't know what ANZAC Day stands for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, and you don't like Christmas Day :)

      Delete
  2. Andrew have a great time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At work Gosia? I don't think so.

      Delete
  3. I think she's marvelous! Such a shame you can't go to the party Andrew.. will R go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes R will go and enjoy himself, much as he says he doesn't want to go without me.

      Delete
    2. Btw Grace, wouldn't that be marvellous? R had a great time at the party.

      Delete
  4. Are your penalty rates to be cut back, like so many others? I hope not. I really hope not.
    If they are, it sounds like the perfect excuse/reason to attend next year's festivities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, no, our penalty rates are safe, for now.

      Delete
  5. At least Little Jo knows what each occasion is. There would be many who didn't know.
    Penalty rates - don't they go soon for some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supermarket and hospitality workers, I believe. But reduced in most cases, not removed.

      Delete
  6. I think maybe we should just de-frock all these holidays and make them generic so they do not upset all the people. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, what a great idea. Or add some more religious holidays from other religions.

      Delete