Tuesday, June 06, 2017

All that glitters

As long as there is not a major upset, the next Prime Minister of Ireland will be a gay man of Indian heritage, and also Ireland's youngest Prime Minister.


Is this to rejoice about?  Leo Varadkar leads the party Fine Gael, which is a conservative political party in Ireland. Varadkar is a free market proponent. A Thatcherite, no less. Strike 1!

Pay unemployed immigrants to leave the country? Ok, not so bad. Pay me enough and I will leave Australia.

Anti abortion? Aren't we all, especially we men. Strike 2!

Anti union? Seems so. Strike 3! He is out.

PS. He wants Ireland to be a country of 'strivers'. That sounds awfully like high achievers to me and reminds me of our former Treasurer Joe Hockey and his phrase, leaners and lifters. How horrid our society would be if it was only made up of lifters and high achievers.

PPS. I expected to find more bad about him but I struggled. I have written the headlines about him. You look at the detail and it may not be quite so bad.

PPPS. Of course one of our best friends is a former conservative politician and he is a decent bloke. We only talk about politics in the most general manner, although I do at times provoke him by calling him Comrade.

17 comments:

  1. Looks like the global political landscape is ever shifting. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogoratti, who would have thought it would happen in Ireland.

      Delete
  2. Anti abortion, anti migrants and anti union? What a grot :(

    The only great aspects are that he is a gay man of Indian heritage. Both his gayness and his Indian origins will make Thump wet his teeny weenies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I suppose there still is a reasonably strong connection between the US and Ireland. Isn't Trumpet becoming less relevant?

      Delete
  3. What can I say, I can think of nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, sometimes that is all there is to say.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of paying immigrants to leave. I'll have to think about that one.
    Not in agreement on two or three.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I think if you take in immigrants and grant them citizenship, then they are now the responsibility of their new country.

      Delete
  5. Sigh. I saw that he was gay and of Indian heritage and was cautiously hopeful. (Cautious because he is a politician).
    I may revert to just being cautious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, no doubt it is all about politics, so we won't expect too much.

      Delete
  6. Perhaps the poor bloke should be given a chance before he's been given a chance...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I agree. It shouldn't take too long.

      Delete
  7. Heard about him, be interesting to see how it pans out for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it will be interesting but it will be as much about the economy as personalities.

      Delete
  8. Anti-migrants? How does he feel about tourists I wonder? Maybe I should cross Ireland of my list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it would be a hollow protest. The Irish love Australians, especially our dollars.

      Delete
  9. I think the world needs more young leaders.. now if only they could get rid of that old orange man in the US!

    ReplyDelete