Saturday, June 03, 2017

A bad place

Australians love to visit Bali, part of Indonesia. I am not suggesting blackmail, but when the devastating tsunami hit the Indonesian province of Ache, along with other places, we Australians dug deep into our pockets to donate to a relief fund.

Ache is under Moslem Sharia law, decreed by Jakarta. Two men were having sex with each other in a private place on the island of Ache when their privacy was invaded and they were reported to authorities. They were condemned and sentenced to public whippings. The punishment went ahead.

If you are are a woman you must wear modest clothing in Ache. God help you if a strong wind blows and outlines your body. The Sharia police will be after you.

The Chinese heritage former mayor of Jakarta has been sentenced to two years gaol for blasphemy for a very minor matter.

A gay sauna in Jakarta, with most of the patrons being Indonesian Chinese, was raided and it goes without saying that the something like 150 patrons will be publically humiliated, to say the least.

Never mind the Indonesian terrorists who blew up  a bar frequented by predominantly Australians some years ago.

You can be sure that if Indonesian police pull you up for a traffic offence, you will pay the fine directly to the police person. Guess where that goes.

Indonesia is a crap country, full of corruption and controlled by extreme Moslems. There are much better Asian places to visit than Bali. Think about  what happens in Indonesia before you book your next Bali holiday. Australia needs to be very wary in its dealings with Indonesia.


23 comments:

  1. Bali has never attracted me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Diane, not my kind of holiday.

      Delete
  2. Andrew Bali sounds interesting but Indonesia I do not want to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the more I learn about Indonesia, the less I like it.

      Delete
  3. Not tempted by Bali. At all. A friend who regularly travelled to Indonesia got out of Bali as soon as she could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, people visit Bali for the weather. The weather there is a good enough reason for us to not visit.

      Delete
  4. Have never wanted to go there at all, can't for the life of me see what the great attraction is...did I miss something perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, think northern queensland summer weather, plus crowds, touts, cheats, corruption, bad tourist behaviour, drugs, excessive alcohol....I can't understand why you wouldn't want to go.

      Delete
  5. Bali has always been OFF my list of places to go. I'd rather see Canada, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand and Jamaica although I probably couldn't take the heat in Jamaica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, heat is something we really think about nowadays.

      Delete
  6. Whilst I deplore the implementation of Sharia Law in Indonesia, and especially the punishment of the two men in Aceh, Bali is predominantly Hindu, so I am not aware of it being an issue. When we lived in Hong Kong we used to visit quite often, and enjoyed it immensely, especially Ubud, rather than the beach resorts. Immediately after the Handover in 1997 we went there to recuperate from the mental anguish we felt might ensue from the Chinese takeover. But since moving to Thailand in 2003, we have never returned, so things may have been ruined in the interim, as they have been in the tourist resorts of this fair kingdom. Although the "coals to Newcastle" adage reduced their allure anyway, now I simply wouldn't waste time or money visiting the still remarkably sought after locations within Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed.. Bali is the only part of Indonesia that is not Islamic. It is very largely Hindu and therefore not subject to Sharia Law.

      But that could, I suppose, change in a heartbeat.

      Delete
    2. Interesting life you lead, Columnist. There are good reasons people go to Bali, I suppose, but none for me.

      Hels, I do have a little sympathy for the government. The country is huge, so many ethnic groups, much poverty and juggling religions.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this, I didn't realize how toxic it is. But then it has never been on my list and won't be after this.
    I remember a co-worker going on her honeymoon and being very underwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, most people who go there like Bali but I think there are much better places closer to Canada to visit.

      Delete
  8. Is this a good moment to announce my trip next month to Bali?

    I have never had any interest to go there and my own only reason for succumbing is a friend who is keen to have company for a relaxing week or so. I hope it is relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, no excessive drinking, drug taking or skylarking then, and stay off the backs of motorbikes.

      Delete
  9. Well I am not well enough endowed with $ to travel anywhere so I will definitely leave Bali off the list of places I will never go anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, you have closer places that are probably similar but better than Bali.

      Delete
  10. We have holidayed with other family members in Bali about 30 years ago Andrew, it was quite fun for all the kids but have never been back and never will.. mind you with my fear of flying getting worse by the minute I might never go on an international holiday again 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, R visited Bali in the 70s and has no desire to return. It was very different then. I am sorry to hear you are more fearful of flying. I thought the trips to and from Sydney might have helped.

      Delete
  11. I would never go to Bali, even if someone paid me a lot of money. I've never been enamoured by it one bit. And yes, all the corruption etc puts me off even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, while I don't want to go there, if someone paid me, I would go, and then dis it later.

      Delete