Sunday, May 21, 2017

Praise to our ABC

CNN and Fox are truly horrible when travelling abroad. BBC World is not much better, but a bit better and was our chosen media on planes, in hotels and on the ship. How I longed for something like our own ABC 24. We became thoroughly fed up with the BBC talking about Trumpet. BBC has two identities, a home identity and a world identity. It is easy to work out from the web addresses. bbc.co.uk or bbc.com

When we were within range of a phone service, my usual Twitter feeds arrived. Yes, Fen, I know what you were up to. From Twitter I immediately learnt the very sad news that ABC journalist and presenter Mark Colvin died. I was quite upset. While he has had many health problems over the years, I did not know he had a terminal condition. I can't add to any praise that has already been heaped upon him beyond I think he was a good bloke.

Twitter you wonder? Am I into Twitter? I don't really tweet but I receive tweets directly to my phone from people who I choose to follow. Melbourne ABC broadcaster Jon Faine once interviewed the late Mark Colvin and somewhat snobbily queried Colvan about his Twitter usage. Colvin defended it by saying he has so many followers on Twitter, that he could ask any question about anything and get an immediate reply from somewhere in the world. Vale Mark, and I thank you.


Speaking of Twitter and media, before our holiday I began following on Twitter the truly marvellous Kate McClymont who is an investigative journalist at the Fairfax Press' Sydney Morning Herald.  


Correct me if I am wrong but I think McClymont has done more than any other journalist or government enquiry to expose corruption in New South Wales than anyone else in recent years. As you can see, she is not twenty years old and has files going back a long time. Of course in Victoria we don't have corruption...........or maybe we don't have Kate.

Day one of our holiday is ready to go, at 5am eastern Australian time.

13 comments:

  1. Mark Colvin, we will miss you.

    Hels and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, It was quite a treat discovering the Global BBC News Service on my 2nd trip to The U.S. But these days the BBC is so biased and anti-Brexit I've no respect for them anymore.
    They're supposed to give us a News service, not give us their opinion. So I try to follow alternative \news bulletins.

    But odd how we can warm to certain Newsreaders, while others are to be avoided.

    Hope you had a good break.

    Dee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, while the BBC did not please me, at least it was there. Still on a break, so quite happy here.

      Delete
  3. Just coming up for midnight in Perth and I've finished the cup of tea P made me when I said I was about to catch up on your holiday news. I've missed these midnight catch-ups :) So Barcelona has the hottest guys, makes sense all that hot blooded maleness :) Do you have to pay for wi-fi in the city, how would you even do that? It's free here I'm almost sure. You did catch up on movies while flying.. my favourite way to pass the time when flying is being semi unconscious :) I do enjoy Anderson Cooper on CNN but I have to stop obsessing about #45.. these days I listen to more about US politics than I do our own.. not good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the free wifi in cities is often supplied by the local government or by a private firm with advertising. But the coverage is not usually so good. Free wifi from cafes is best. I never watch those American tv channels, so I don't know much about them.

      Delete
  4. Sadly even the ABC talks about the orange one.
    Vale Mark Colvin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, he is talked about a little too much.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:47 am

    Kate is a good journo but unless she can write about real estate, the way Fairfax is going, with takeover bids under consideration, she might not have a real newspaper to write for. Better she join the ABC. Besides, any journo loathed by Mark Latham is OK in my book. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, that may well happen with Kate. I agree about Latham.

      Delete
  6. Kate must have known my old mate Jock Veitch who also worked on the SMH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot remember him, but it is only recent years where we could easily read interstate papers. I wonder if he is related to the comedian Michael Veitch.

      Delete
  7. Interesting that you tired of BBC coverage of Trump. We experienced the same thing eight months earlier when we were in Europe and the campaign for the Presidential election was reaching its end. Wall to wall Trump on BBC World. We were sick of him and it.

    ReplyDelete