Sunday, May 21, 2017

Holiday Trivia

I still can't seem to find time to begin our traveller tales. I am so much better organised when I am working. R slept on Friday night from 10.30pm to 11.58am Saturday and he may have a cold. I just feel horribly jetlagged. We never get jetlagged when travelling west but returning east, it is hard, even from just Perth in Australia with a three hour time difference. How our Foreign Minister always manages to look so glamourous, I do not know.

Most, if not all the vehicles, taxis and transfer vehicles, we used when away were Mercedes. Our final transport trip was in a Mercedes mini van. The speed limit on the freeway from the Rome port of  Civitavecchia to the airport at Fiumicino was generally 100 km/h. I craned my neck to look at the speedo and it was reading 155 km/h. But you know, the nicest car we travelled in was the one back in Australia when we returned home from the airport. I meant to check when we got out but I forgot. I think it must have been a Toyota Camry Hybrid. It was dead silent when stationary, and thanks to works on Tullamarine Freeway, it was stationary a few times. Our Australian built cars are were very good.

Movies seen on the ship: The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I had not seen the movie since it first came out and I was surprised at how risque it was. The Doctor was having 'sex' with the lost Brad after 'sex' with Janet. Butler, Riff Raff, calls on the video system to tell the Doctor that Rocky had escaped. The Doctor says, I'm coming, and then the audience calls out, so is Brad.

Jackie, about Jackie Kennedy Onassis was tedious. I tortured myself by watching three quarters of it, but gave up. I kind of knew the ending, if there was ever going to be one.

A Royal Night Out was very entertaining. I think it is true that our Queen, then Princess Elizabeth, and Princess Margaret went out in public incognito on VE day, Victory Europe in England, but I suspect the rest was pretty much fiction.

The planes we flew on had the ICE entertainment back of the seat systems. There is something like 2,500 entertainment tv shows and movies, along with live news. The I stands for information, about the flight, its progress, speed.........all sorts of details including external plane web cams. The E stands for entertainment and there was something for everyone. I can't remember what the C stood for.

On the older planes, it is not so great, with poor screens, bad audio and clunky controls. On newer planes, it was great.

On the journey home I watched one episode of Modern Family and the old movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World. I quite enjoyed the latter, though I had seen it in pre teen years. Talk about a star cast, with Ethel Merman even!!!

I got through a lot of movies on the journey outbound. Bad Moms was as bad as it sounds. I couldn't help remembering the song. Harper Valley PTA. The Carer was quite good, about an old actor in his decline. I watched most of The Castle, a rather classic Australian movie, which I had not seen since I first saw it at its release. The Boat Builder was almost watchable, about a bullied black lad with white parents who was a bit lost in his family situation and helped an old man build a boat. (Warning, flashing lights and possible drug use) I recommend Dancer, about a Ukrainian male ballet dancer, who at his peak at the age of 21 resigned from London's Royal Ballet company.  I had not heard of him and the movie was so interesting. The pace de la resistance was seeing Witness for the Prosecution again. I had forgotten the ending and already I have forgotten the ending again, and so must watch it again in the future. It was originally in black and white, now coloured and Marlene Dietrich was superb.

C'mon. You know you want to hear Harper Valley PTA again.



21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Gosia, it was a very hypocritical time in western countries.

      Delete
  2. I think the C was for children's programs. I agree with you about Witness for the Prosecution. A terrific Billy Wilder directed film. So much better than the BBC Television two part version from last year which was much closer to the original Agattha Chrisite short story but no where near as effective, humorous nor interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I will go with Ian below who suggests Communication. I do not know of the BBC version of WftP. I take it from you that it is not really worth watching and the original book is not really worth reading.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:55 am

    Information, Communication Entertainment. I lasted 20 minutes with Jackie and that was 15 minutes too long. Witness for the Prosecution was a good movie but I'm horrified to learn that Kenneth Branagh will star in and direct Murder on the Orient Express. As if we needed another all star version of it after the great original and two TV versions of it in the last 15 years. And there was a Japanese version with the train running to Tokyo, so I guess that makes it a real Orient Express. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I don't know why I watched so much of Jackie. I think I thought something would happen. It didn't. Lol about the Japanese version of Orient Express. I really liked what I saw with Poirot starring.

      Delete
  4. Jet-lag sucks better than any Dyson.
    You saw more movies coming home than I have seen in years.
    And loved revisiting The Harper Valley PTA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, what a lovely analogy, and funny too. I usually see one or two movies a year. You are probably of similar age to me where 'moral codes' were strict but frequently and secretly ignored.

      Delete
    2. Yes on the moral code front. Emphatically yes.

      Delete
  5. Nice to read that you are back safely. Sorry to hear about the jet-lag but I am really looking forward to reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CM. It is very nice to be home.

      Delete
  6. RHPS - Riff Raff is my favourite character. With the ICE screens on the seat backs, do you get to select your own movie so everyone sees what they want or does everyone watch the same thing? I think it might get a little confusing if someone is watching and listening via headphones to their movie, then gets distracted by the different movie in the next seat. I'd be jet-lagged too after such a long flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, everyone has control over their own screen. One does occasionally glance at what others are watching, and fighting and bash them up movies seemed to be popular with many. It was not just the flight, but also that we were up at 6:30 in Rome and our flight was not until 3:00 in the afternoon, plus the change of times. R has now come down with a cold.

      Delete
  7. I too recommend Dancer because I love ballet, have roots in Ukraine and think the London's Royal Ballet Company is great.

    But there is a limited number of films one can see each year, before forgetting the details. You reached that number within a week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, you are quite right. I remember little of the detail of Dancer, but it was good at time. But then I might see one movie a year, and still forget about it. Really good movies do stick in your mind, I think.

      Delete
  8. I've never travel over seas. But I found it was harder to adjust when I traveled to eastern part of the USA 3 hours a head. Then going west...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, it is amazing how just a change of just three hours can have such an effect.

      Delete
  9. Haven't experienced jet lag as haven't travelled overseas.
    Hope you get over it quickly, time I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, much better today, thanks. As I said, even the change from Perth to Melbourne can have an effect, and as a shift worker, I usually quite quickly adjust.

      Delete
  10. Haha, thanks for the movie reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save you a few hours, hey.

      Delete