Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Europe 17 Day 9 & Day 10

There was a time when you travelled, you would see different fashions, people wearing different clothing to what you were used to at home. Not so now. The world has become generic. In every European city we visited, fashion was the same as here in Australia. If R's great nephew is to go by, the fashions in Britain are the same.

This is our apartment in Barcelona. It was a very direct and straight route from the airport to our apartment, with us arriving mid afternoon and R's sister and brother in law arriving by about 10pm. It was a very late night with lots of booze involved. R and myself had been out to get provisions and afternoon tea. We didn't feel like dinner.






Language: Portugal never had much in the way of colonies. There was some horrible tin pot African country, Sri Lanka for a while and a bit of India. Its mega colony was Brazil, where Portuguese is still spoken, except it must be a different version of Portuguese as on the hop on hop off buses, there was a separate selection for Brazil Portuguese. I read beforehand that the Portuguese speak and understand English much better than the Spanish. This is because of television. While television programmes are made in Brazil, they are generally not of high quality and perhaps difficult for Portuguese to follow. So, in Portugal they watch tv in English and learn English better than the Spanish, Spain had many more colonies and so a greater source of television programmes in Spanish. But in the tourist areas, everyone spoke English well enough to get by when dealing with tourists.

The day after we arrived was a total waste and I was not too happy about it. We did nothing except go for a wander and have lunch out and have dinner out. I made sure we got busy the next day.

Tomorrow I will post a few photos of a modest church nearby. (Hels can guess what is coming).

28 comments:

  1. The apartment looks nice; compact but nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I think the photos make it appear smaller than it was. It really didn't feel small at all.

      Delete
  2. That light fitting is interesting.
    The apartment looks functional - but not somewhere to spend much time in. Sorry your next day wasn't good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, interesting is a good word for the light fitting. Just for the two of us, it would have a lovely place.

      Delete
  3. ...am liking those chairs and table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to keep clean too, John.

      Delete
  4. A day spent still breathing is not a day wasted! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, true. I shouldn't be grumpy. It was good to catch up on family news.

      Delete
  5. For that totally different world (with different dress) just take that short trip across from Gibraltar to Morocco, and you'll find it. The contrast is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, and end up as some sex slave for some demanding Arab. No thank you, not at all. Seriously, Morocco appealed to me when I was younger but it is not the place it was and I don't like much of what of what I hear about it now.

      Delete
  6. You made me laugh comparing the fashion to Australia ! In Europe we are surprised that from one country to the other we HAVE the same fashion ! Even if I look at pictures of my mother when she was young she wore the same as an English woman ! And there was no TV so nobody could copy strange !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that is interesting about your mother. How did fashion news travel then? I would guess fashion buyers were sent regularly to London, Paris and Rome.

      Delete
  7. Lunch and dinner out, plus a wander around, isn't a total waste. You still saw stuff. Think of it as downtime, which everyone needs, especially when zipping about on tourist buses and trains. Breathing space to collect your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, quite true, but I get bored sitting around doing nothing when I have to be sociable too.

      Delete
  8. I looked for Porto in my atlas and there's 9 different ones, 7 in Brazil two somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha. Oporto, north of Lisbon? then Barcelona, clear across to the other ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one, River. I am not sure why at times Porto and other times Oporto, and there is a food chain here called Oporto.

      Delete
    2. and they used to make "really" good chicken burgers, now they just make good chicken burgers, they've gone downhill a bit, but still better than KFC or Hungry Jack's or that other one.

      Delete
  10. I like the idea of using an apartment rather than a hotel. Much more personal. Will be interested to see what you think of Barcelona. I feel it is a city I could revisit many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, apparently hotel accommodation at the mid level is not much in Barcelona and tourists often stay in apartments. I said to R just a couple of hours after arriving in Barcelona, I really like this city, and my opinion never changed.

      Delete
  11. Your apartment in Barcelona is perfect Andrew. I know you think you wasted the next day after your arrival but wandering around with occasional stops for food and coffee sounds like a good day to me ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, you are right. I was a bit frustrated by R struggling to do things on steep hills at times. It seems we saw so little, but we did see a good bit.

      Delete
  12. Apartment looks lovely large enough for what you both wanted to do.
    Must have been good to catch up with family so far from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, always good to catch up with family, no matter how English they are.

      Delete
  13. I wouldn't like wasting a day when out travelling either. I'd want to be out seeing things like the day was my last. I like that rental you had, very functional looking and pretty! I like your extra commentary on colonies, to explain languages spoken and understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, some times it is good to be on your own, a sole traveller. Thanks.

      Delete
  14. I am way behind on reading everyone's blogs so I am working my way through your trip and enjoying it.
    I agree about fashions, I have been bingeing on MKR AU and in one episode I saw two of my tops being worn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MKR? How strange your viewing is from afar. I can't bear either Fidel or Evans. Your tops? Please explain.

      Delete