Monday, April 17, 2017

You vil get orf our plane

Bit of an interesting reaction to the doctor who was bruised and bloodied when dragged off a United Airlines flight after the airline overbooked and then had to cater for staff travel as well. Delta Airlines has stated it will offer up to $2000 from $800 to compensate passengers who are bumped after overbooking. UA is still considering its policy. I am sure it is, deeply.

Australia is crap for flight compensation. I complained once to Qantas about something so serious, I can no longer recall what it was. Ah, I have remembered. It was our flight to London via Singapore leaving some twelve hours late. We arrived in Singapore very early morning and lost a day. We had booked and paid for a private airport bus transport to the airport and we forfeited that. Qantas offered us two travel vouchers to an Australian destination of our choice, I think. We chose Sydney.

It was a total con. I cannot understand how it worked, but we paid about the same in airport charges and government taxes to use our flight vouchers as it would have cost us to buy a cheap online airline ticket to Sydney. Forget about vouchers. Ask for cash compensation if you are inconvenienced.

Qantas once lost our luggage between Melbourne and Sydney. It did not turn up within a few days. No need for travel insurance here, we claimed against Qantas and they returned with a very inadequate offer. We sent in a detailed report of our loss, and I think we argued back and forth for a bit, but eventually we received a fair compensation cheque, $700, as I recall.

I suppose it was only a coincidence, but the very next day, our suitcases were delivered to R's work, as that was address on our luggage labels. Our luggage had been to New Zealand and back. A pair of Levi jeans was missing from my case, and half a joint of Mary Jane.

Traveller tip #58 If you are going to take drugs on a airplane flight, make sure that you are not doing so on an international flight as a domestic traveller, no matter how cheap the flight is.

Europe has an excellent standard compensation system for inconvenienced fliers. Australia and the US should have the same.

24 comments:

  1. Its strange the airlines are so willing to take money for tickets but after that, when they mess up in any way, lose luggage, cancel or overbook flights or are terribly late, so you miss your connections or forfeit other expensive paid up plans, after taking your money, their duty to compensate for a product they have failed to deliver is squirrely at best. All of these things, like lost luggage, late flights, overbooked flights, etc, should be considered, without adequate immediate compensation, theft and fraud and prosecuted as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, all so right. It it one of the few products we buy that we cannot get a refund on when the service is not delivered. Squirrely is not a word I am familiar with.

      Delete
  2. Only once was I caught undressed, so to speak. In mid winter (July) my suitcase went to Manchester instead of Malta. For the first four days I only had the winter outfit I travelled in.. Malta was 42c every day and 38c every night :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, Manchester, Malta, the words sound the same and look the same. Understandable error. 42? I have just lost any thoughts I may have had of visiting Malta.

      Delete
  3. I notice that United is offering the 'other' passengers on that flight a refund. The passenger who was evicted (and I believe lost two teeth) will have a much bigger claim.
    You are right about compensation here. Woeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, ok, yes I have subsequently learnt how distressed fellow passengers on the flight were and that is understanable. It really is the #101 of appalling customer relations.

      Delete
  4. Bravo on your perserverances. Apparently all the children on that United flight were terrorise by the violence and there was crying. There was hours delay so everybody missed connecting transport and meetings. Even if it is true the Dr had a charge laid against him 12 years ago, it hardly justifies wrenching him from a booked seat.
    I am way ahead of you on one your tips - I would never ever travel with MaryJane [Off topic juicy Jussy Trudeau a hero again - he has pardoned all the heads out of Canada Slammers].
    Compensation is a difficult concept. A holiday ruined by wrong clothes, time wasted on phonecalls etc. Landing in a foreign place and having to shop for replacements is very tricky.
    I don't know how airlines make a profit these days. When tickets cost a lot and flight used to be for the rich and passengers dressed as for an occasion, even into the 1970's, it must have been easier to cover the unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, as someone commented on the article about his issues 12 years ago, not relevant, and another, garbage journalism. Oh Jussy, just the mention of him makes me swoon. The airlines have made the bed they are lying on with their constant undercutting of each other. Charge fair prices for a good service. The same goes for cafes and restaurants. On pubic holidays, charge what you need to, to cover staff costs or stop moaning. We had to pay 10% more for our pizza last night. Fair enough.

      Delete
  5. My daughter in law work as flight attendend for a different airline and post this story on her facebook page..just a different view...https://thepilotwifelife.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/i-know-youre-mad-at-united-but-thoughts-from-a-pilot-wife-about-flight-3411/
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, thanks so much for the link. It was very interesting and I agree that once airport or border security is involved, you are on a road to nowhere if you resist. Most of the rest I could argue against, but with about 1500 comments, I won't bother.

      Delete
  6. Touch wood I've not had any problems with Quantas and the only drugs I take on board are inside me to enable me to get ON the plane in the first place 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, like a teen at a music concert, you pop your pills before you cross the security line. I think I know what you mean when you say your drugs are inside you already.

      Delete
  7. I may consider never travelling anywhere again. I'll buy a comfy armchair and settle in here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, and be an armchair traveller. Thanks for the set up for that line.

      Delete
  8. Andrew I totaaly agree we have an excellent system of compensation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it does seem to be good. You have reasonable parameters for compensation.

      Delete
  9. I am so disgusted with what happened on United. It makes me wonder how much longer they will be flying the friendly skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, long term, I really wonder if it will change or affect anything.

      Delete
  10. Another meaning to 'flying high'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting read for one who hasn't been out of Australia. Would be rather inconvenient I should imagine losing one's bags.
    Disgusting about that traveller man how he was treated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it happens less now as the processes have improved. R also had his luggage lost when he visited England alone.

      Delete
  12. Fortunately I never had any problems in all these years I take a plane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I think the longer the distance you travel, the more that can go wrong. We have to travel very long distances.

      Delete