Monday, April 03, 2017

The Moslems, again, but personal

I feel like I am like the politician who votes against gay marriage but in his or her defence says, I have many gay friends.

Moslem women with covered faces, I am not fond of. Ban them I say. France does not allow any secular public display in so many areas, including Christian display. I think they have that right.

I don't have Moslem friends but I do have Moslem workmates. Person 1 I have worked with for nearly 38 years. His son joined the company. Person 1 is short and dumpy and does not overtly display his religion but is known to be very mean with money. It is hard to believe his son is his offspring. He is tall, well built and nice looking. The son was born here and while I am not sure where he went to school, he has a lovely speaking voice. He is quite a agreeable person. I often see him praying to Mecca, or whatever they pray to. No, they face the direction of Mecca. I remember the arrows in the Kuala Lumpur hotel rooms.

Moslem 2 is very different. I really liked him. I have known him for a long time and when he was young, he was pretty hot. While I knew he was a proper Moslem, we had the most terrific conversations. I once asked him if he was well endowed or very skilled at sex when he also had a wealthy Balinese business woman on the side.

He once showed me a photo on his phone of his wife. She was nice enough looking and in traditional Indonesian Moslem dress. He showed me a second photo, and he was in traditional male Moslem dress. I think his wife died from a woman cancer. She rejected western medicine and went home for traditional treatment in Indonesia. She died quite quickly. When he told me, we both got a bit teary, in spite of him still having Bali girlfriend. His late wife's family quickly arranged a new wife, a deserted wife with children. He embraced the children and paid out from his very fat wallet, but it was not to be. I quote, 'she tried to tell me what to do. In Moslem culture a wife cannot tell her husband what to do'.

Moslem 2 used to seek me out in the work eating area. For mine, at times I thought go away Taufik, can't you see I am reading and I want to be alone. To his shame, he once confessed that one of his sons is low autistic.

Now he has grown one of those little goatees that Indonesian men do and I came across him praying on a mat in a quiet area at work. We, he and I, seem to be avoiding each other. I miss our conversations about the latest Iphone, and his son's skills at international car parts dealings.

When he was young, he was a judo expert and severely knocked out someone in the workplace who did the wrong thing. I just don't get it. Someone who I thought was my friend and knew I was gay, and was quite Western,  is now avoiding me and taken heavily to his Moslem religion. Fuck religion. It does the world no good at all.

33 comments:

  1. One of my work colleagues found her halal butcher was closed for a while and asked if I could advise her on the best kosher butchers in the interim. I drove her around Caulfield and Malvern, then we had coffee, and went back to work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrific story Hels. That is proper multiculturalism at work.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. Which I seem to be saying a lot of late. I hear you on the religious front. Whatever flavour, they seem to encourage division. And nastiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, one only has to look at Northern Ireland. While mostly peaceful, it is still a divided area.

      Delete
  3. I live in a middle eastern area both moslems and mainly cathlics live together well they have no choice it is equal 50/50 of each and no none much talks about religion now that is peaceful well so far.
    Merle....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, that is how it mostly works in Australia. But there are pockets in cities where it does not.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:07 am

    Two things that cause the most problems in the world - religion and people who can't mind their own business. Especially the shrill shriekers on social media. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:41 am

    People who are deeply religious and disagree with you can be very amenable until it comes to the point that religion influences them more. Maybe the wife or the state of the world has made their allegiances rise to the top. The Koran teaches that lying to infidels to gain confidence is okay. Then, at the right moment the muslim will feel no regret at slicing your throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, I am perhaps with you in first sentence. That people think these historical religious books, the bible, koran or torah are at all relevant in the 21st century and be taken as a truth is, I think a symptom of something else. What drives them to take religion so seriously. I suspect using religion to hate the west comes into it.

      Delete
  6. I think a lot are coming under pressure from family and religious leaders. One of my regular taxi drivers has gone full Sikh, different coloured turban every day, trimmed beard and curled moustache. He was nothing to look at before but now he could be straight out of a Raj regiment and quite elegant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JT, I have a bit of a thing for Sikhs. Is he tallish? The cheap shot ignorant people use against Sikhs is they are terrorists. Generally they are not, although there were problems in India.

      Delete
  7. Must be something behind his avoiding you of late, if I really liked a person I would have to find out without making a nuisance of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I was going to say, if I really cared, I would find out. But clearly I do care as I would not have written about it. You lose friends, you become less close to workmates. I won't lose sleep.

      Delete
  8. MOSLIMS THE main problem in Europe too many live here with their big families

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big families, says the catholic from Poland ;-)

      Delete
  9. A lot of people return to their religions as they get older. I'm sorry your friend is avoiding you, that must be hard with you both being in the same workplace and seeing each other every day. Perhaps you could arrange a meeting and ask a few questions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't see him daily, or at times even weekly. Bit hard to explain. We still say hello.

      Delete
  10. I used to work with two Moroccan girls for 5 years. We became friends. There was never a chat about religion, we had other things to chat about. One was married to an Italian too. Both dressed like me and the family was very well integrated !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, the key words are well integrated. This is not happening now in my country now, nor yours.

      Delete
  11. BTW all religions are the same, they are "man made" and have nothing to do with God ! That's my opinion. Even the bible was not written by Jesus but by his apostels and everybody wrote a different thing ! Imagine how many times the bible had been translated and I know what you can do with translations !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, distorted by many versions and translations, to suit the period of history.

      Delete
  12. That's a shame Andrew, religion is responsible for so much of the trouble in the world, that it even intrudes on personal relationships is so wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you have chosen the correct word, it is a shame. I am not upset or anything over the top. I just think it is a shame.

      Delete
  13. I had an Egyptian flatmate many years ago who was quite religious. Interestingly, even though he is Muslim, he had made the effort to also read the bible. We had many interesting conversations about theology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, nearly all the Egyptians I know are Christian. You got really up close and personal with a Muslim person and perhaps I have in other ways. Muslims vary so much, depending on which country they come from, never mind the different branches.

      Delete
  14. I agree with your two final sentences, Andrew...in similar terms.

    Insecure people trying to find some semblance of security.

    I ceased believing in fairy stories many, many years ago...when I grew out of childhood.

    To quote the much-quoted Corinthians 13:11 -

    "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man (obviously, in my case, a woman), I gave up childish ways."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, what did I say? Surely not words of wisdom? Oh yes, a motherhood statement for my readers. I really like that you quoted the bible to dismiss it.

      Delete
  15. Lee, I'm hanging on to my childish ways. I'm too young to be a fuddy duddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly don't class myself as a "fuddy-duddy", River...and nor do those who know me personally. :)

      Delete
    2. Neither of you are fuddy duddy nor childish. You are both full on participants in the information superhighway and make huge contributions to the wealth of world knowledge, and I am not being sarcastic. We are part of the history of the early days of the internet, and don't forget how important we will be to study in the a thousand or so years.

      Delete
  16. Mum's too gentile to do it Andrew but she would like to scream your last two sentences from the tallest building. AND she will never understand how killing fellow human beings can be right in the eyes of ANY God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Succinctly put, Charlie.

      Delete