Sunday, April 09, 2017

Sunday Selections

A bit of a mix here with some of my own photos and some found on Facebook without credit. River nearly always uses her own photos, so check hers out as well as others.

"I'm leaving on a jet train. Don't know when I'll be back again." Russian turbo train.


Some machines now accept the new $5 note, that is not so new now, but plenty still don't. Later this year we will get a new $10 note.


Sydney disaster 1. I can't remember where this was, except it was on southern side of Sydney Harbour and is one of the expensive suburbs.


Sydney disaster 2. Wish I had made a note. I have a feeling, Paddington, Sydney.


Sydney disaster 3.


Isn't this just a lovely photo. I reckon Queenie might be wearing a very tight girdle. I believe she was visiting Australia. The photo may well have been taken on her own yacht, Britannia.


Marie from After 60 - The next 10 has not long returned from the west coast of the United States with some wondrous photos. Of course she visited Yosemite Park. While some things will have changed since 1940, the beauty of the wilderness will not have. Photo from the marvellous historical US photo site,  Shorpy.com


Is there an Acland Street near you? Taken with my phone camera.






Ready to travel. We have very small amounts of Singapore dollars, New Zealand dollars, US dollars, Canadian dollars, Japanese yen, Malaysian ringgit, Vietnamese dong, Thai baht, English pounds and Hungarian forint but for some unknown reason we do not have any Euro whatsoever. We had to buy $200 worth, and put $800 in Euro on our travel card.



As best I could understand, the power outlets on our cruise ship will be American and European. R convinced me to spend a bit more and never have to worry again. The plug plugs into the charger unit and then into the wall socket. The first one is Australian and you see how it clips in. The next is US/Canada/Japan, followed by European and last Britain/Singapore/Hong Kong. While we used to carry a six plug power board, technology has moved on and saved us that bother. Four USB charging points for two tablets, two phones, camera and an ebook reader. Still a couple of weeks to go, but we are seriously preparing now.


Sometimes modern phrases can be more descriptive than old ones. We once called it 'burning off'. Now it is called a 'fire fuel reduction burn'. Whatever the name, smoke blanketed Melbourne for two days. I love the smell of burning gum leaves in the morning (a slight adaption of I love the smell of burning napalm in the morning, from Good Morning Vietnam). A northerly breeze arrived and blew all the smoke away to northern Tasmania. Very sorry, Margaret but I believe you are about to send us one of your freezing winds in return.

20 comments:

  1. Andrew the rusty photo looks interesting. You are right After 60 took great photos, Masterpiece.. Travel safely to Europe and have a great time here. When are leaving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we leave in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  2. I suspect you are right about the girdle. Ouch. Not comfortable at all. At least her heels don't look impossibly high (though higher than I would wear).
    We have had burning off here too. Amidst many complaints about reduced air quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the heels are stylish but not over the top. I think that is the way she has dressed throughout her life, although I still think English frock coats are a bit funny.

      Delete
  3. I got those a bag of international plugs and converters when you sent me the camera, which I still use, so I could charge it! Where is your cruise taking you? All over the place? Do you get seasick? Or are the boats so large you barely feel the effects of the sea? We get Chinese pollution here sometimes, and sometimes its very dense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I never really thought about you charging the camera. I think you can USB plug it in the computer to charge it. Everything nowadays seems to cope with 110V or like ours, 240V. I haven't sailed on the open seas, so I don't know if I am prone to seasickness. I guess I am about to find out, but I don't think so. Isn't this drifting air pollution an assault on another country?

      Delete
  4. Sorry but Sydney disaster number 2 does not look like Paddington to me. There is a valley evident on the other side of the road which looks nothing like the Paddington of my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, no it doesn't look like Paddington. Maybe it was the Kombi that was in Paddington. I can't believe I did not note details. Looking again at the photo and blowing it up a bit, there is old and tight two storey terrace housing, a very steep hill in the background and what looks like an institutional building.

      Delete
  5. Do I dare correct you and say the napalm saying was uttered by "Kilgore", Robert Duvall's character in the movie "Apocalypse Now"? Oops! I dared! :)

    An interesting array of pics, Andrew.

    I still remember clearly the train trip from Gympie to Brisbane, along with the rest of my Brownie friends...we were excitedly on our way to see Queen Liz and Phil on their very first visit to our fair shores, in 1954.

    Whenever I'm going anywhere for any length of time (which is an extremely rare event these days) I always start packing my suitcase well in advance! None of that last minute panic packing for me! lol

    Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, of course correct me when I am wrong. I thought it was Robin Williams who uttered the line. I haven't seen either movie.

      '54 hey. I guess that would be the year of the photo.

      Last time we travelled we had plenty of time to pack at the last minute but it ended up in being disorganised and a bit of a panic. I know what reduces panic in any situation, be early and be prepared, and I will be this time.

      Delete
  6. Adelaide has several Ackland Streets but with a 'k', none near me, and also an Ackland Hill Road which winds through several southern suburbs.
    It must be confusing having different plugs for different countries, but easier to carry than a six outlet power board. Have you labelled the plugs by country? I'd have to, in case I forgot, then of course in any country only one would fit the configuration on the wall end, so I'd feel silly, but I do like labelling stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, our Acland Street is often misspelt as Ackland. Now I know why. I have travelled enough to know what sticks into what and where. R has told me that they had different power points in England and when he was young if you bought an electrical appliance, it came with just wires and no plug, and you had to fit your own to suit your sockets.

      Delete
  7. Yes, we did get all your smoke on lovely sunny warmish days, then all doors and windows had to be closed.
    Cold from Antarctica not Tasmania, Andrew, so be prepared :) I recall once came with electrical small goods some international plugs.
    I'm always interested in those signs, for me it's amazing how far other places are and in what direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, via Tasmania, at the very least.

      Yes, when I see directional signs like that, I always look at them. I remember being in Banff, Canada and there was a directional sign thingie to various major world destinations. Never mind you not getting a gig, even Melbourne did not.

      Delete
  8. You have to love Acland St, even the renovated, modernised, widened version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I think I like the old Acland Street better but it is still a good street, full of life, fun and exoticness.

      Delete
  9. Love the old photos. Your trip sounds like its going to be extensive. Have you posted the itinerary yet and I've missed it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I can't really remember what I have said about our trip. We will be away for a few weeks.

      Delete
  10. Forign money is so colorful compare to ours. That sink hole looks deep. We been dealing with mud slides.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, it is. We had to be very careful with US dollars as they all look similar.

      Delete